Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Information about Locks of Love being less than honest?

Length
    18apl/31wst/36tb
    Type
    2c/M/i

Default Information about Locks of Love being less than honest?

I tried searching the archives here and wasn't able to find anything...
    I have heard several times that locks of love sells more hair than they donate, (like 90% gets sold), and also that they don't give to kids with cancer (which is the common belief).
    Now according to LOLs own site, they only donate to people with permenant hair loss (like alopacia (sp)). I'm ok with that--cancer patients will be able to grow their hair again and all that... but of course if they are selling most of the hair rather than donating (and keeping a profit) then I'm really bothered by that.
    Now I have no desire to cut my own hair, so this wouldn't be a big deal except that a good friend of mine has this long gorgeous thick hair, and she recently told me that she has been planning to give it to LOL even though she loves it. She's a very kind and giving person like that. But if LOL is a sham then I want to let her know so that she can make an informed choice--and hopefully keep her gorgeous hair for herself!!
    So, I googled around a bit, but was not able to find anything very helpful...does anyone know where I can get some reliable information about this?
    Jan06 = cut to 18" / July08 = 28" / Nov08 = 31" / Feb09 = 32.5" (shooting for terminal!)
    loving one hubby, two kids, three angel babies, and blogging my brains out

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Information about Locks of Love being less than honest?

There was an article in the New York Times which gives a lot of illuminating information:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Post #6 contains some maths done by another member here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=547&

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Length
    22/32hp+/calf
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Ive also never trusted them.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

There's a page on Squidoo that also offers similar information to the other links: http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

I've had the LoL comment: "You could make a lot of people happy by cutting your hair." Whatever. If somebody ever harasses me about my hair, like that one woman in the NYT article was, I'll suggest that they grow out their own hair to donate: "Quit being selfish by trimming your hair!!! Grow it out so you can donate!" I'd much rather donate something that might help save someone's life, like blood.

Length
    22/32hp+/calf
    Type
    1b/1c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
    I've had the LoL comment: "You could make a lot of people happy by cutting your hair." Whatever. If somebody ever harasses me about my hair, like that one woman in the NYT article was, I'll suggest that they grow out their own hair to donate: "Quit being selfish by trimming your hair!!! Grow it out so you can donate!" I'd much rather donate something that might help save someone's life, like blood.
    I so agree. vanity is one thing, saving a life is important! there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Blondielocks View Post
    there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!
    It's especially bad in my town. A girl in my Bio Seminar class did a presentation on converting a certain type of blood to the universal donor configuration (O-, I think). In the presentation, she showed a picture of the freezer thing they store the blood in. Looked like only 12 units were in there, and none of it was the type that everyone can really use (the universal one). It's so sad. And to think that people get pressured to cut their hair when blood shortages are so bad makes me ill.
    Hmph, I say this, yet I've never donated blood. I intend to schedule an appointment tomorrow, though. It didn't occur to me how important this is until the girl gave her presentation.

Thank you very much for posting those links! I've only gotten the "locks of love comment" one time, and it was from my mother (who doesn't actually want me to cut anyway). She believed (as she'd seen on Oprah) that the donated hair went to wigs for cancer kids. She was genuinely shock (and probably didn't even believe me) when I told her that she could see for herself, on their website, that the wigs go to alopecia children. No less of a cause, but it doesn't have the same ring to it as "cancer kids", so people stick with what's catchy.

I like having some numbers and facts available for future comments about locks of love. It's a same how clueless many people are about the organization that rolls of their tongue in the presence of a woman with longer than average hair.

Long hair not bricklayer. PseudoScot's Avatar
    Length
    ~17/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Blondielocks View Post
    I so agree. vanity is one thing, saving a life is important! there is usually blood shortages in hospitals, and they are desperate for donations!
    I see your point, but some wig charities, even 'evil' LOL do donate to people who have lost hair due to disease.

Assuming that people want wigs just to appease their vanity is, IMHO, quite harsh.

A lot of the people who want wigs don't do it because they are vain. They are dealing with serious diseases, often resulting in hair loss and have every right to want to have a wig, and a good one at that made from human hair if they want. No one should be pressured to donate hair, but those that do want wigs don't necessarily need to be dismissed as being vain. Sheesh.

ETA: This link might help for LOL info
    Last edited by PseudoScot; October 12th, 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Added link
    Previously hiding in Sherwood.