Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Spiral Perm on waist length hair, anybody have experiences with it?

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Spiral Perm on waist length hair, anybody have experiences with it?

^^^^ OMGosh I love that, similar to what I was thinking, maybe not quite as much purple, but put in the same pattern highlights would be ......

Length
    CL/29.5/30
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlyn View Post
    I understand the concern of a badly done perm. The stylist that did mine has been a good friend for many years, she is pure magic with color and perms. Probably helps that she's been doing hair since the 80's when perms were big business. She said this was the first spiral she'd done quite in a while, since the younger generation is all about straight and the older gals want the traditional perms.

I hear ya on the frizz, it's a constant with my hair. Seems much better now that I can slather on the product.

I have a question for you, I saw your pics on another thread and your hair is waist length while curly (and gorgeous by the way) but have you been getting perms regularly while growing out your hair? I ask because I'd be curious to know how hard this is on your hair. If I permed again in 2 years, a lot of my length would be getting a repeat of the perm, I'm not sure how well my fine hair would hold up to that. I'd be curious to know how yours has done with it.

Either way thanks for chiming in with your experiences. Even if I do see some damage down the road, I'm still glad I did it.
    Off and on I've gotten perms since '09. With breaks in between. As I've been getting perms I've been growing out my hair. Besides using vitamins and also workouts. Which I need to start getting back in the habit of workouts again. Big stress reliever. For some reason I don't know why my hair does better with perms. :-)

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlyn View Post
    As far as I understand, the difference with spiral perms is the way they are wrapped. The hair is sort of wound around the rod in a spiral fashion, it gives a different curl pattern, versus traditional perms put in more as you would do a roller set. The rods and perm solution are the same, I know she did reach for a different perm box (s) because of the length. I would think whatever damage or stress to the cuticle would be the same for both, as they both use perm solution and neutralizer put on the hair, the exception of course of the longer hair being more fragile since it's much older.

Here's a pic I dug up of the way the wrapping is done.. My perm rods were put in just like this, although I didn't have as many I don't think because the gal in the pic seems to have more hair than I do. http://http://www.freewebs.com/viccoria/photos/Hair-Styles/DSC07051.JPG

Regular perms, the rods look like this. http://http://www.eurweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/cooper-perm-rods.jpg

Keep in mind this is my, not a hairstylist by profession explanation, so I may have some of the details a bit off.
    Thanks a lot, Sterlyn, for all the details and the clear pictures! That's an awesome explanation!

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

The curls turned out beautifully!
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Love the curls!
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Wow, that turned out gorgeous Sterlyn!!
    Love it! Thank you for sharing the journey with us
    ~APL - BSL - Waist - Hip - BCL -TBL - Classic - Beyond~ Currently at 43 inches
    Lady Sitir, Keeper of the Cloud-Grazing Flock in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    YouTube:My Science Project|Hair Videos|Mental Health Videos

Type
    3a/M/ii

Amazing transformation Sterlyn! That was a bold move! Love the wild and big factor and they turned out great! Thanks for updating us with pictures!

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

It looks amazing!

Length
    ????/35.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

yeesh. Kina is suggestible. Kina now remembers her perms that helped to even the texture out and made her hair easier to manage. Kina now wants a perm because Sterlyn's is drop dead gorgeous.

(why is Kina typing in the third person? Kina doesn't know)
    'And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair' Khalil Gibran.
    ⌣⌢ (ˆ◡ˆ) ⌢⌣

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Thank you all for the lovely comments on my curls.

Kina LOL you crack me up. I am loving the texture that a perm has given my fine, wavy hair. I can load it down with product and it sucks it all up and looks good. No worries about limp hair weighed down by too much product. And the frizz is so much better. There may be a price to be paid for this down the road, but I'll worry about that down the road.

Well.......... I did it, on top of the perm, I went PURPLE, screaming in your face purple. I told her I wanted nothing subtle and if I was going purple, I wanted it to be noticed I had her do them as you would do highlights (or I guess lowlights) and weaving and then coloring all those strands was challenging I think since I have a lot of hair. Took her a while.

I think she was afraid it would be too much when she saw it, the purple overwhelms the silver, but I told her it was perfect. The only sadness is that this won't last long, it's deposit only color and I probably won't repeat it (or at least not often). No way could I duplicate this myself. I might do a couple streaks myself, but it will never look like this........

I am in love......

Anyway pics or it didn't happen.....

http://

In sunlight

http://

I have to post this and run, Hubby and I are going out to eat and run some errands, and show off this amazing purple hair.
    Last edited by Sterlyn; September 11th, 2015 at 05:22 PM.