Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles?

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles?

So, this all started when I was out in town with my SO and asked him whether or not he liked my hair the way I wore it. (Cinnabun with a hairstick through it - basic) Well, he was a little hesitant at first but eventually stuttered that he didn't like it at all because it reminded him of a strict teacher he once had and that it aged me significantly. I'm 18 years old, got a somewhat rocker attitude and affinity towards the 90's style-wise (vintage jeans jackets, loads of black, tartan, skater dresses, Kate Moss 'bedhead') and I prefer to wear my hair down, if I'm all honest.
    The thing is, I'm growing out significant damage and I really want to minimize the damage potential so I decided I wanted to wear more updos. But how?
    I have fine, waist-length hair with a V-cut. I also have bangs I'm growing out which are at about lip-length. They do fit into high buns but I prefer to leave them out.

On NYE I wore milkmaid braids with my bangs sticking out, which I liked a lot, but that's not really an everyday style, right? I had to use some tiny elastics, which I removed carefully, and an array of bobby pins.

I already went through this thread , but it wasn't really a big help. I'm looking for something youthful that looks trendy without requiring backcombing or hairspray. Do you have any ideas?
    Last edited by missblueeyes; January 1st, 2015 at 11:57 AM.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles

Are you saying you tried each style in the thread? And none worked?

Braids are pretty protective, except for the tassel. I oil tassels heavily to make up for any abuse they take.

I see sock/donut buns a lot on young adults here. Extensions and their own grown hair.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Length
    19/hip/termi
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles

A Gibson like updo where the hair around your face is poofy. Any bun done loosely that's at the top of the head with small tendrils around the face gives a younger more relaxed look. If you kept your bangs and never want to grow them longer you could play with some funky colors in just the bangs.

What'w wrong with milkmaid braids for everyday? Think of the small goofy or funky hair gizmos you could put in the braids for a different look almost every day. Disney clips, Pokemon clips, hairpins with pearls or glittery stones, the possibilities are only as limited as your mood or imagination. Rocker attitude? I know a lot of guys that have a rocker style with long hair and long beards. They put all kinds of fun stuff in their beards. Why not a gal decorating her braids?

Not a fan of labels. missblueeyes's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post
    Are you saying you tried each style in the thread? And none worked?
    That's not exactly what I'm saying but I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.
    I'm going to go with your advice and oil my braid tassel to make up for the beating.

Quote Originally Posted by hanne jensen View Post
    A Gibson like updo where the hair around your face is poofy. Any bun done loosely that's at the top of the head with small tendrils around the face gives a younger more relaxed look. If you kept your bangs and never want to grow them longer you could play with some funky colors in just the bangs.

What'w wrong with milkmaid braids for everyday? Think of the small goofy or funky hair gizmos you could put in the braids for a different look almost every day. Disney clips, Pokemon clips, hairpins with pearls or glittery stones, the possibilities are only as limited as your mood or imagination. Rocker attitude? I know a lot of guys that have a rocker style with long hair and long beards. They put all kinds of fun stuff in their beards. Why not a gal decorating her braids?
    A gibson sounds good, I'm definitely going to test how it goes with my hair tomorrow. It's really slippery after wash day, let's see how it holds the gibson. Coloring is out of question for now as I'm not sure whether I'm keeping the bangs or not.
    I like the way you're thinking, maybe I find something I'm fond of, too. Maybe I'll get some coloured synthetic clip ins to spice up my updos.

I've been doing accent braids a lot, recently, but that doesn't really do much if the rest of the hair is left out.

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

I agree braided hairstyles are great for every day! They are protective and you can make them look quite edgy if you like. Google "Gwen Stefani braid". She doesn't look "librarian" wearing her hair like that if you ask me! Just leave small pieces out around your face and don't slick your hair back quite so smoothly. A "messy" bun will help as well on days you don't want to wear braids and it still keeps your hair up and away from danger. Hope this helps!

Current ​Length Stretched: BSL
    Next goal: ​Waist

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by missblueeyes View Post
    I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.
    I'm going to go with your advice and oil my braid tassel to make up for the beating.

[...]

I've been doing accent braids a lot, recently, but that doesn't really do much if the rest of the hair is left out.
    Braids for the win! :
    I really think learning crown braids and lace braids will help you with making cool styles. Also check out zigzag braids.
    If you learn to do cool-looking braids, it will make a huge difference, for sure!
    Also accent braids in the front pulled a little bit forward will give your hair volume without teasing, helping you avoid the sleeked-back look.

Quote Originally Posted by CoveredByLove View Post
    I agree braided hairstyles are great for every day! They are protective and you can make them look quite edgy if you like. Google "Gwen Stefani braid". She doesn't look "librarian" wearing her hair like that if you ask me! Just leave small pieces out around your face and don't slick your hair back quite so smoothly. A "messy" bun will help as well on days you don't want to wear braids and it still keeps your hair up and away from danger. Hope this helps!
    Yes, definitely! I really recommend looking up people whose styles you like with a word "braid" or "updo" next to their name: you'll find not only pictures but also instructions of how to achieve the look. And then adjust it to fit your needs!

Length
    BSL/BCL/BCL
    Type
    1c/M/iii

A lot of guys prefer hair down, so maybe just wear it how he likes it when you are out with him and do protective styles for work/school/everyday?

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I personally don't really like having my hair pulled back tightly, I think it's unflattering for my face. Various types of braids and high, loose buns don't generally looks like a librarian.

Every time I oil my tassles in a braid, the elastic always slips out within a couple hours! So maybe I shouldn't oil them? My hair is thin and fine as well.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thoughts:
    - french or dutch braids, single or double, either worn down or bunned (you can make the braids do interesting stuff, e.g. a zigzag or the XO braid to make your hair look less severe and scraped back)
    - double buns, worn high or low, Princess Leia style or not
    - buns worn as a fauxhawk
    - comet bun (though it doesn't protect your ends as well as other buns)
    - accent braids and/or braids at the front (lace braids, etc.) to make updos less severe
    - french twist
    - low buns worn with a parting (centre, side, zigzag...) to make them softer and less severe
    - all the various iterations of braids worn up, either with plain English braids or with rope braids, fishtail braids, hawser braids, etc. to add interest (Freida Kahlo braids, milkmaid braids, hair taping, crown braids, coronet braids (when your hair gets a bit longer), etc.)
    - messier buns
    - accessories! absolutely no reason you have to use ficcares and forks and stuff if you don't like that style - how about using Amish pins or spin pins to secure the updo, then adding accessories that match your fashion sense as decoration rather than functional pieces?

Also, IMO, milkmaid braids can definitely be an everyday style if you like them. Even moreso if you're 18 and don't have to worry about what your employer thinks...