Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I dye my hair black with henna?

Default Should I dye my hair black with henna?

So I'm considering dying my hair black with henna. I love how shiny henna makes people's hair look, and I've always craved raven hair. I'm debating on whether I want a warmer black or a blue-black. However I do NOT want a flat black color, because it will probably wash me out.
    I will post pictures of myself in different lightings, as soon as I figure out how to upload photos onto Flickr. That way you can see my skin's colors. Honestly, I've never been able to figure out if my skin is "cool" or "warm", which is good to know when dying hair.

Here is an example of blue black henna:

(It says it's 300g of henna and 200g indigo afterwards).

Here is an example of warm black henna: http://s141.photobucket.com/user/lil...31184.jpg.html
    (Sorry it wouldn't format)

^This is actually from an old LHC post, posted by whitestiletto

I guess I just want a really deep, natural looking color. People who have naturally blue-black or deep brown hair have GORGEOUS hair.
    If you think I'd look totally hideous with black hair, PLEASE tell me, I won't be hurt. If I dye my hair black it's going to stay for a while, so I don't want to make a mistake. Also I've never dyed my hair with henna, besides a Surya cream.

Any feedback is helpful.

Default Re: Should I dye my hair black with henna?

Here's a possibly better example of blue- black hair:

Also does black henna look "flat" if I aim for "purple" black hair? Basically between blue black and warm black?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Honestly, I tend to try to talk people out of using henna and indigo to go black, most of the time.

It's a long process -- several hours, every time.
    Sometimes the indigo fades.
    You can never, ever use conventional dyes or bleach on the indigoed hair -- it usually goes green.
    It will probably get reddish-orange highlights when the sun hits it.

Basically, it's not for people who aren't ready to really commit to black. The average (mildly indecisive) human is usually better off with a deposit-only black dye.

ETA: It's probably worth adding (though you've probably noted it from the Mehandi site you were looking at) that henna only dyes reddish-orange. It's the added step with Indigo that makes it black.
    Last edited by Anje; April 17th, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Do the red/orange highlights look bad? Just wondering. Thank you for the feedback. I am very scared of "ruining" my hair.

I'll add some pictures:
    Pictures of me! With damp hair! They might turn upside down. Idk why.

By a window in early, bright sunlight.

*Outside, in direct sunlight, around 10 AM

*Indoors, classroom lights

*Indoor, classroom lights, Uncombed wet hair brushed back to show my face.

Indoors, some sunlight coming in through window, no other lights

*In a bathroom with lower fluorescent lights

*I was wearing a light BB cream that sometimes makes my skin have more yellow.

I cannot tell what my undertone is.
    Last edited by Budgie; April 17th, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

I don't think that worked. Crap. Sorry. Here's where the photos are: http://s91.photobucket.com/user/budg...tml?sort=3&o=0

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Oh wow, you have the most enchanting lips

That aside, I tend to agree with Anje. Henna + indigo in a two-step gets very, very old for a lot of people fast. I'm one of the strange and rare people who LIKES the henna application process, but it gets tedious for most.

I don't think the red/orange highlights would look bad on you, but that's also very hard to gauge in pictures.

I think if you're game for the upkeep and you know you're in it for years, then go for it, otherwise go with a deep brown direct deposit dye instead.

Thank you! I dont think I mind the upkeep at all actually. I don't know why but haircare stuff like that is fun for me. Even if it's just dying. I'm just worried if I'd look too washed out or harsh.

Also does indigo add blue/purple highlights or color to your hair? Or does it just cancel out the henna's orange?
    Last edited by Budgie; April 17th, 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Maybe then the route to go is a dark reddish brown 24 washes dye? Something that'll give you a feel for the color first?

I totally agree with Noghtshade... I also think henna only is enough as you natural color will turn really dark after a few applications and you might not even need to consider indigo. I used indigo once years ago and regretted it realllllllllly badly..good luck in your choice.

Last edited by Budgie; February 7th, 2017 at 10:31 AM.