Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Good Morning! I'm working backwards I guess...replied to a couple of posts before finding I should intro here. I never really thought about my hair growth until people (mostly women) my age kept commenting on the length. I am 47 and my hair is 37 inches reaching to where I guess my tailbone is. Men are usually very complimentary while women have been strangely negative. The comments have ranged from, "when are you going to cut that?" to "don't you think you're too old to wear your hair that long?" That's why I registered here! I was actually thinking about cutting my hair researching by Googling hair styles for older women when I found this site. After reading through some of your posts I've decided not to cut my hair and just let it keep growing. One day recently when I wore it down a nurse at my Doctor's office said, "Honey, I would kill to have your hair and so would every other woman I know our age! None of us can get our hair to grow anymore and it's getting harder as we age, you are so blessed!" She'll never know what she did for my confidence, especially since she said it in front of my Mom who had just reamed me during our drive there saying things like, "you really need to cut that crap and stop wearing black!" Ooh, that had hurt...then the nurse commented while Mom listened and her mouth fell open:-) I love having long hair especially when I know how much joy the sight of it gives my Boyfriend of 10 years!

Length
    nape/waist/tbl
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

Congratulations on your long hair. There is no such thing as too old for long hair. That is just a bunch of junk society has tried to sell us. Keep your long hair with confidence. I am in my early 40's and my hair is longer than it ever has been and I dont intend to stop anytime soon. So wear that hair with pride, sister!! Luckily you will find many people here of all ages that you can have hair talk with and share problems or get encouragement.

Welcome!

Length
    18 in/18in/floor

Default Re: Newbie Looking For Feedback RE: Long Hair On 50ish Women How Do U Feel About It?

What a lovely compliment!
    I would agree - any negative comments are probably from people who don't like long hair anyway or are jealous because their hair is short and they don't think they can grow it or wear it long.
    I think ladies of any age with long hair are beautiful and I have only ever seen one older lady in a nearby village with long silvery hair so she really stands out. It's one of the most beautiful colours I've ever seen and in such lovely condition. Stick two fingers up at the "blah" short haircut that dominates middle-aged women!

Chin - Shoulder - Oxter - BraStrap - Waist - Hip - TailBone - Classic - Knee - Ankle - Floor

Length
    0.5"/28"/56"

There's not an age-limit on beauty, long hair, or on maintaining your appearance on your own terms.

You work that long hair, and take pride in it.

Length
    27.5/39.5/46
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Those kind of complements are so wonderful to hear aren't they?

“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    -William Morris

Length
    32/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I will be 66 in a few months and my hair is longer than it has ever been. I have always admired long hair on both men and women. I never wear my hair down because I think I look like a witch. I just started wondering if I would think that if I saw another older woman with her hair down and I have to say I really don't think I would. I like buns braids and even pony tails, but I don't like the Marge Simpson hair piled up high on the head. I don't like bald men with pony tails and braids. Young people can look gorgeous with any hair style. Maybe I just don't like the old look.

Length
    ?/39"/45"
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

if you want to have long hair, then you should rock it !! there's no age limit.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I will be 49 in April, currently have almost waist length hair and hoping for classic length hair by the end of my 50th year. My family give me the usual "Why don't you cut it, you look like a witch, you're much too old for long hair, blah blah blah".... But my SO LOVES it and so do other males I know. It might be a woman jealousy - thing. I intend fully to keep growing - until I feel that it's long enough.

You do what you want with your hair and enjoy your long hair!
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    //Thigh//
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ypena3 View Post
    Good Morning! I'm working backwards I guess...replied to a couple of posts before finding I should intro here. I never really thought about my hair growth until people (mostly women) my age kept commenting on the length. I am 47 and my hair is 37 inches reaching to where I guess my tailbone is. Men are usually very complimentary while women have been strangely negative. The comments have ranged from, "when are you going to cut that?" to "don't you think you're too old to wear your hair that long?" That's why I registered here! I was actually thinking about cutting my hair researching by Googling hair styles for older women when I found this site. After reading through some of your posts I've decided not to cut my hair and just let it keep growing. One day recently when I wore it down a nurse at my Doctor's office said, "Honey, I would kill to have your hair and so would every other woman I know our age! None of us can get our hair to grow anymore and it's getting harder as we age, you are so blessed!" She'll never know what she did for my confidence, especially since she said it in front of my Mom who had just reamed me during our drive there saying things like, "you really need to cut that crap and stop wearing black!" Ooh, that had hurt...then the nurse commented while Mom listened and her mouth fell open:-) I love having long hair especially when I know how much joy the sight of it gives my Boyfriend of 10 years!
    Hello and welcome! I love it that you have long hair! I too am an older woman and growing my hair long again, and I love the support I get here. Keep it growing as long as you want!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have only gotten criticism for having long hair from my father. I think he's still fixated on how women wore their hair in the 1950s.

I think it's pretty close to gorgeous, personally (but I do have some bad hair days; doesn't everybody?).