Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First successful scalp-only wash

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default First successful scalp-only wash

I successfully did my first scalp-only wash, meaning that I didn't get my length wet. First I put my length into a low bun and secured it. Then I took a plastic shower cap and wrapped it around my bun twice and secured it with a small claw on the edge. Then I put my nice big shower cap over all my head and took my shower. At the end of my shower, I turned towards the water spray and took the big shower cap off. I wet the top of my head and then sprayed diluted shampoo (I have mine in a spray bottle) onto my canopy, tipping my head a bit forward to try to prevent having that bun (still wrapped in the small plastic shower cap) getting drenched. I did a teeny bit of manipulating to get that shampoo into my scalp, but not enough to really upset my hair. Rinsed my hair out the same way, with my head tipped forward, into the water. Got out of the shower, patted the top of my head dry. Dried my body, then let my hair out of the bun. It worked amazingly well. The top of my hair was wet, about to the nape of my neck, but the underside below my ears, while wet, wasn't soaked and drenched with water. It took so much less time to dry, and the top of my head looks clean again, without the wetting and manipulating, and drying of my length. Perfect! Just thought I would share, although, I am sure my technique isn't anything new to those who have been at this a while.

ETA: I was making a hairstyle video anyway, so while I had the camera set up, I decided to do a quick tutorial on scalp-only washing. Here it is... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc
    Last edited by LauraLongLocks; February 5th, 2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added tutorial link

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: First successful scalp-only wash

It was new information for me! Thank you. My hair isn't long enough yet to want or need to do a scalp only wash but it looks like your way would work well if I ever get my hair long enough. It is just now starting to feel like it takes forever to dry (like a few hours! lol)
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Interesting. I might try that. Sometimes I hate to do a full wash when I want to go outside for a while in winter.

Summer of 2017...after "The Chop."

Finally APL, next is BSL Sterlyn's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/23/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can't wait for my hair to get enough length to do this. I wash every other day, more because my scalp needs it than my ends. Thanks for sharing your method.

Length
    Chin/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

It's news to me, too! Sometimes I try to do something similar when I'm just too lazy to wash my hair, but it's far too gross/greasy to go out with, but since my hair isn't super long, it never really works out and I end up giving up and washing it all! Hadn't tried with a shower cap around the length, though (just pulled it back into a low knot).

SL ~ APL
    ~ BSL ~ MB abyss ~ WL ~ HIP ~ TB?
    minor trims to thicken ends before traipsing on toward HIP!

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I decided to do a tutorial for it since I was doing a hairstyle video anyway, and had the camera set up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Oh my, that's rather clever! I would worry about cleansing the scalp underneath the bun and the nape of neck, but this still looks like it would do the trick most of the time and then supplement it with a full wash every once in a while. Especially since it's really the top of the scalp that is the most noticeable when going without a wash for a while. I try to take a shower at night to avoid having to wait for it to dry in the morning, though, so it's not too much of a problem for me.

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aderyn View Post
    Oh my, that's rather clever! I would worry about cleansing the scalp underneath the bun and the nape of neck, but this still looks like it would do the trick most of the time and then supplement it with a full wash every once in a while. Especially since it's really the top of the scalp that is the most noticeable when going without a wash for a while. I try to take a shower at night to avoid having to wait for it to dry in the morning, though, so it's not too much of a problem for me.
    Yes, it's just an in-between wash type of fix, to get the top of the hair clean, since that's what shows the most. Thanks for watching!

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

that's a good video
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    that's a good video
    Thank you. My husband was disappointed that I didn't actually get into the shower and show everyone, ha!