Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not good.

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Unhappy This is not good.

Ok I knew I was thinning down from my meds earlier this year and my weight yo/yo thing going on, again from the meds...but I had no idea.

I'm thinking about cutting to that faint line I have marked here, just to get a decent hemline back and a thicker braid tassel.

Thoughts? Is it as bad as I think it is? OR am I having a hair "anorexia" moment?

Spidermom- I'm so sorry. I know I said I would go a year without trimming.

Length
    Waist/<TB/Clasc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: This is not good.

Honestly? I think your hemline looks fine. You probably see it as being much worse than it actually is.

From a strangers point of view, I would be more than happy if my hair looked like yours.

If you are really unhappy with it though, observe the 2 week rule and then think about it again.

Nes x

I can understand your desire to cut as I would probably feel the same if it were my hair. I prefer a thicker hemline myself. However, as I look at it I would start with about a quarter of what you are wanting to trim and go no further than half of what you want to trim. You would be surprised what a big difference that would make. And the thing is, you can always cut more if it doesn't satisfy you. (Speaking as someone who has a past of cutting too much hair at a time, I'm learning to take much less and I find I'm actually happier.)

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

I don't think it looks bad at all! If that were my head, I'd do as Silver & Gold suggested; I'd cut half as much as you're indicating in your pic.

Length
    1.5/30?/longr
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Maybe you could trim an inch, see whether you like it or not, follow the two-weeks rule once more and then trim more (or not)? I wouldn&#180;t trim as much as you indicated in your pic, because it really isn&#180;t that bad, in my opinion. Though, if you were used to thicker hair, I can see why this must be disturbing. Just remember the two weeks rule and don&#180;t rush anything!
    My blog, which has doodles, scribbles and drawings: www.dailydoodlie.blogspot.com

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I don't think it's as bad as you apparently do, but ultimately it's your hair and you have to be happier with it, so if you'll be happier with it shorter and thicker rather than longer and thinner (though by no means too thin!) then I agree with those who have said to use the two-week rule and then cut if you still want to. However, if you think you can be persuaded to believe that it still looks lovely, then I will endeavour to persuade you right now: your hair is beautiful, and isn't as thin as you think it is at the ends.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    42/10/50
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Thanks all. I'm just having a hard time accepting how thin (to me) It has gotten. To me in that photo it looks like a rats nest. =( My type of hair...not straight but not 100&#37; curly is so very annoying to style. I find myself wearing it up all the time now and I sometimes get frustrated at how "matronly" that makes me appear.

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I think it looks fine although if you want to make it thicker though then you can trim, but I think if you cut about 1/3-1/2 of what you've marked it would look reasonably thick. There's a fair amount below the line that still looks thickish.

Although you could always leave it for the moment and then wait for the thickness to catch up before trimming. I know at the moment I'm not really planning on trimming until I get to classic unless it gets super thin and then just letting it get thicker and maintaining.

Bottom line, it's totally up to you. I'm not really trimming just because I hate getting my hair cut and I know I'd be thinking 'If I hadn't trimmed my hair would be this long now' instead of enjoying my current length, but if taper really bothers you more than length then a trim might be good because if you're not enjoying it because you're thinking 'Oh, but the ends are so thin,' then that's not good either.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lawyermom View Post
    I don't think it looks bad at all! If that were my head, I'd do as Silver & Gold suggested; I'd cut half as much as you're indicating in your pic.
    I second this advice if fairytale ends are not what you want. I was basically in exactly the same position as you, except not from medication, and i did cut....i cut ALOT off. I'm happy with my decision but i had struggled for a long time with it, plus i had the added reason of removing the damage i had from chemical colouring. But, it can be quite an emotional thing so not something i'd advise making a quick decision on.....just keep your hair up and tucked away s you are not looking at it for a while and consider other options like a trimming schedule etc first, then if you do still want to after a few weeks do it in phases with a break between each phase. That'll stop you from maybe taking more off than you really want, and give you time to adjust to the smaller length losses in between.

I would also look into options to encourage growth and to try to keep the hair you have....lots of threads on it but briefly....scalp massage/brushing, scalp oilings, herbs, supplements etc.

Good luck, i do know how horrible this is to deal with

ETA i actually really like how your ends form those beautiful delicate curls....if mine had done that i might not even have cut.
    Last edited by ChloeDharma; September 6th, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

You have so much body in your hair that if you trim off 2 inches it will shrink up 3 or 4 inches. I think that is all you really need to thicken up your hemline.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi