Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

$30 is about right considering you have layers that need to be trimmed as well. Trimming half an inch is much different than trimming layers.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by silverthread View Post
    $30 is about right considering you have layers that need to be trimmed as well. Trimming half an inch is much different than trimming layers.
    what I meant was only a 1/2 an inch all over. $30 is still too much for me for a basic trim though. Just a trim.
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Sometimes hair salon chains like Supercuts have sales or coupons where you can get a haircut that cheap (or close to it).

Leaning forward with your hair in a top-of-head ponytail falling in front of you is a pretty good way of trimming layers.

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

If you are not wanting to pay just wait...

BUT.....Here is the thing...a trim is still cutting all of your hair.

You are not unreasonable but I am just telling you the other side of it.

A bang trim would be acceptable to only be $5-$10. Yet...she will still be cutting all of your hair. Just because its only a half inch doesn't make it not a hair cut.
    Last edited by akilina; February 15th, 2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Totally wrote the wrong word :p
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    10/28/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I charge way more than 10 bucks when I cut hair in my kitchen, and no one is getting a shampoo . And we are talking friends and family here.
    Last edited by ellen732; February 15th, 2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: add

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd get someone to help you like your sister or try the feye self trim method.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

I don't think $30 for a trim is bad. My salon is $80 (though I have not gotten a trim in 2 years, if I though I needed one I might go there, my guy is a bit snip happy but very talented). I only go for highlights or when I used to get it chemically straightened. Those prices weren't bad.

I think you should wait because what you are willing to pay is not going to be able to get something that is good quality (most likely).

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    A trim will thicken it up because the thinner ends will be cut off. If it isn't trimmed, it will continue to grow as it is and the bottom won't thicken up at all. Make sense? And you didn't offend me
    The bottom will thicken as your layers catch up. If you baby the ends and do some s&d while trimming just the very bottom, they will catch up a lot faster. Layers will decrease the thickness of your hemline otherwise. You will grow them out a lot faster if you stop cutting them. This is what GrowingGlory is trying to say as well. Now, if you want the layers that is a different story and others here have suggested ways to self trim for layers. I have not tried them.

In any event, I would still suggest a good pair of scissors used only for hair (no paper!) to cut out any split ends you see. That should keep your hair in fine condition until you can see your sister next and you will have a nice sharp pair of nice new scissors for her to use as well. Win! Keep in mind, even if you feel your hem is a bit uneven, no one will be able to tell if your hair is up and that keeps them better protected as well. Plus that gives more chances to do cool buns and play with nice hairsticks.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but have you seen Feye's Hair Trimming Instructions? I was a bit worried on my first try, but it lets you trim properly without chopping all your hair off. I've done this for a few years now. I've even done it in ponytail sections for layers. If you're just doing the straight-across, it isn't difficult at all. If you know how to cut in a straight line, you can cut your own hair this way. I'm no expert, maybe a slightly advanced novice at best, but I didn't kill my hair. My 2nd and 3rd trim did have an issue, but it was my fault for gripping the ends wrong. It will always turn out right if you take your time and relax.

But if you really don't want to try that, just wait until you have outside help. It's only a suggestion.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I second the recommendation for Feye's self-trimming method. I tried it once...and haven't seen a hair stylist since. I'm a convert.

I used to go to Great Clips, it was like $13 for a trim (plus tip). I never wanted my hair washed or blowdried or anything like that. Some places offer JUST the trim as an option, I guess some don't.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4