Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Question Am I being unreasonable?

I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Long tea-time for hair. neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Length
    12 in/42/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Wait till your sister can do it for you.

42in, 2a, F, ii (3in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.

Length
    2''/APL/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp.
    1b/F/ii
    Started from a very short pixie at April 2011

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Wait till your sister can do it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by renia22 View Post
    I would wait for your sister, or maybe find a barber or another hair stylist who charges less for trims.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking. I don't desperately need a trim, just the ends of my layers are a little dry and my hemline is getting a little thin since I haven't trimmed it in so long. I'm just not sure when I'll see my sister next :\

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by Neneka View Post
    I can't afford hair stylists so I do it myself. I understand that they have to make a living so it doesn't bug me. Some people, like my mother, they just like to go to a hair dresser to spoil and pamper themselves a little. I understand that. And they are ready to pay for that. I have chosen to cut and trim my hair myself and I don't really like other people touching me and my hair so going to a hair dresser would be like going to dentist for some drilling. And what I want can be done in 3 minutes or less... So for me it's not worth it.

I would like to go for a hair dresser who is in LHC though. I am sure we have some great hair dressers here. When I was hennaing my hair (and I had a job) I actually would have been ready to pay for someone to put henna on my head and massage my scalp.
    Oh definitely! Plus I have a hard time trusting hairstylists. No matter how good they are, my hair never turns out the way I want it. I have a ton of layers I'm trying to grow out and stylists get scissor happy and like to thin and texturize the crap out of my hair I hate it when they do that.

Length
    27"/35"/38"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    I need a 1/2 inch trim all over, and the person that will be doing it is charging $30. I would do it myself, but the last time I tried I ended up chopping all of my hair off. xD

I am a pretty frugal person, at times I think I'm pretty cheap too, but I think anything more than $10 for a trim is way too much. I think her service includes washing my hair and blow drying, but I'm able to do those things myself and I don't really want to pay someone to do it for me. I usually have my sister trim my hair but she lives too far away.

Am I being too unreasonable? I know hairstylists need to make money but considering my budget I don't want to spend that much for a little trim! I'd almost rather wait until I can have my sister do it for me.

What do you guys think?
    You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
    $20
    But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
    $20
    What if I bring my own shampoo?
    $20
    What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
    $20
    Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks

Length
    15.4/hip/CL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.
    Lady Senua of the Golden Mask in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    WCC method (washing) + LOC method (styling)

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by samanthaj08 View Post
    You're not unreasonable at all. I would wait, honestly.

Just last week I called every salon in town.

How much is it for a basic trim?
    $20
    But my hair has no layers or anything special, just go around the bottom 1-2".
    $20
    What if I bring my own shampoo?
    $20
    What if I come with freshly washed hair and you just cut it?
    $20
    Ok *disappointed shrug* thanks
    Haha that's so ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.
    I have used Feye's method before, and my hair is long enough now to where I can do it myself, but I have layers that need to be trimmed and I'm not doing it myself! lol

Length
    20/32/35
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

It is someone's job, ya know? They often get paid in tips I think. How much of a tip can you expect on a $10 haircut? When I was a waitress I looked at it this way: If someone came and sat in my section and all they had was a soda and they read their book for an hour, they lost me money that I could have made if some people had come in to actually eat (and thus had a higher bill). So yeah ... they could either spend their time (which is worth money) giving you a $10 hair cut, or they could charge someone $20-$40 or do a big job like a dye or something and make a lot more. I've had really small trims before, and they sometimes took 30 minutes just because the person was being really careful since they knew how picky I was.

Chin::BSL::Waist::Hip::Classic