Page 23 of 62 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

I would like to understand or have it clarified. If oils loosen the sebum of hair, does that mean it's loosening hairs that were on the verge of shedding anyways. . . .or can oils on the scalp actually loosen hairs that were meant to have stayed another three years?? That's important, because if they were going to shed anwyasy... . but if they had life on them yet, that's a different story. I too, have been scalp massaging daily with jojoba, thinking it would help with my flaking, powdery scalp, but now I'm wondering if I should quit. Even doing pre-poos, . . . is that not a good thing then?

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Either some chemical, or else some scalps just rebel against coming into contact with too-rich things, whether it's conditioner or oil? All the conditioners I ever used for CO were fairly heavy (although I did dilute them), because I just couldn't find any lighter cone-free ones. I'll have to check out the Balea if I can; is "Summer" its actual name?

Anyway, I'm pretty happy at the moment with my shampoo bar routine; let's hope things stay that way. And oils go on my hair with fantastic results, but I'm keeping them well away from my scalp, thank you!
    I oil only my length at the moment and it seems to work just fine. Should start oiling my nape to see how it is going. But something is telling me that it won't shed much there but whatever.

here is picture from DM website. (source: http://www.dm.de)
    I call it a summer conditioner because it's supposed to be sold only in the summer. Have to zugreifen, so to speak (can't remember an English word ). It can leave your hair a tad dryish <- a word of caution. But so far it was the only one that cleaned my hair and didn't make it fall. I will probably get some for the future henna glosses before it's gone.

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post
    Have to zugreifen, so to speak
    Grab them up!

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Thanks for the pic, Audrey Horne! I'll have to look for that the next time I'm at DM. I doubt I'll return to CO washing, but I could use a lighter leave-in on occasion. The only cone-free conditioners I currently know of are the Alverde ones, and those are super-heavy and loaded with glycerine. In the humidity we're currently having, they mean that my hair pretty much never seems to dry after washing!

Length
    Ear/SL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Wanted to let y'all know. The other day when I was stocking up on rithas and shikakai I spoke to this woman(another customer) who was buying a lot of herbs to make oil. I asked her how she was gonna do it n she said that she'd soak the stuff for a day or two in a little water and then boil that water and the herbs and all in it in a lot of coconut oil.
    She showed me her shopping list and I don't remember all of it but she was buying bhringaraj leaves(which I ended up buying too) and triphala.

Audrey Horne your hair is soo shiny!!
    Lady Heliades, Lorekeeper of the Hidden Grove Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    17/45"/??
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

mamaherrera, if a hair isn't ready to shed it won't come out easily, unless there is some sort of allergic reaction that causes it to be shed. If your skin is otherwise not reacting badly any hairs that come out are ones that would have been coming out soon regardless. If the jojoba is helping, and it is a skin penetrating (but not hair penetrating) oil, I can't see it causing problems. The massaging is going to help loosen hairs that are ready to be shed but unless you are physically pulling them out before they are ready, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    Grab them up!
    haha thank you, Othala! It realised it some minutes later after I had posted but didn't edit

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Thanks for the pic, Audrey Horne! I'll have to look for that the next time I'm at DM. I doubt I'll return to CO washing, but I could use a lighter leave-in on occasion. The only cone-free conditioners I currently know of are the Alverde ones, and those are super-heavy and loaded with glycerine. In the humidity we're currently having, they mean that my hair pretty much never seems to dry after washing!
    I'm not sure it's very good as a leave-in but I'd probably use it as some sort of SMT if you ever do it(?) This conditioner is more basic, the INCI list is quite short, it is still very creamy but nothing in comparison with Alverde. I gave up on Alverde long time ago... They don't agree with me at all. Anyway give it a try, it's somewhere around 1,70 euro (?), not too bad. I like Sante Brilliant Care but it's super rich for me, so I use it only on my ends (crunchy-ends-paranoia ).
    Some Elvital L'Oreal conditioners are cone-free. But I have no Idea how good are they.
    I also use this eigenmarke from Bipa which is dirt cheap (the violet one) in combo with some oil. A miracle for 50 cents LOL Never on my scalp, though. But I think I told you about that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by sakuraemily View Post
    Wanted to let y'all know. The other day when I was stocking up on rithas and shikakai I spoke to this woman(another customer) who was buying a lot of herbs to make oil. I asked her how she was gonna do it n she said that she'd soak the stuff for a day or two in a little water and then boil that water and the herbs and all in it in a lot of coconut oil.
    She showed me her shopping list and I don't remember all of it but she was buying bhringaraj leaves(which I ended up buying too) and triphala.

Audrey Horne your hair is soo shiny!!
    Thank you very much, sakuraemily! shiny because of shikakai too You're so lucky you can get all that stuff! My local Asian shops don't always have what I need and certain things they never have in stock. Have to go there 1000 times.

SPINDANCE--thanks so much, thanks so very much. I thought that too, but I appreciate you clarifying that. It's just that I saw people on this thread saying that oils make them shed a lot, I guess they're saying that they have an allergic reaction then to those oils, becausethe oil itself should loosen sebum up on hairs that aren't due to shed!! thanks

Length
    Ear/SL/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post

Thank you very much, sakuraemily! shiny because of shikakai too You're so lucky you can get all that stuff! My local Asian shops don't always have what I need and certain things they never have in stock. Have to go there 1000 times.
    I know! joining LHC reinforces it all the time!
    Lady Heliades, Lorekeeper of the Hidden Grove Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    SPINDANCE--thanks so much, thanks so very much. I thought that too, but I appreciate you clarifying that. It's just that I saw people on this thread saying that oils make them shed a lot, I guess they're saying that they have an allergic reaction then to those oils, becausethe oil itself should loosen sebum up on hairs that aren't due to shed!! thanks
    I don't think it's an allergic reaction. There's no rash or breathing difficulties... It's just something else. Unfortunately, I haven't heard of any studies about oils used on the scalp. I think that mainstream people wouldn't go for it in a heartbeat, so there's probably a lack of interest in such studies... Idk. But allergic reaction is something else.