Here is a fun hairdo quiz!

http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=386&p=1

How well do you know your hairdos?

Length
    shldr/bsl/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Test yourself! Hairdo Quiz!

I had no idea that was called the Marcel Wave. I've always loved that style!

Length
    20/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I got the Marcel wave wrong too!

Length
    ??/38.9/39 in
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Another one here who didn't know it was a Marcel. It looks exactly like fingerwaves to me
    Lady Isilya Nimblefingers of the Flowering Buns in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The only one I didn't get was Elvis' quiff. I said ducktail but he actually didn't wear this that I know of.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Some were able to do the Marcel with a comb, known as the Marcel comb. You can still buy these combs -- these were used in combination with irons.

http://www.1920-30.com/fashion/hairs...rcel-wave.html
    The irons were made by L. Pelleray of Paris and exported world-wide. The original irons were heavy tongs with rounded internal surfaces that had to be handled by an operator trained in knowing how to make a deep natural looking wave, and not a round curl. The tongs were heated over a rectangular shaped gas burner about six or seven inches long and two inches wide. As you can imagine, with such primitive equipment it was hard to maintain the correct temperature for the iron - too cool and the wave did not set, too hot and the hair got burnt. The hairdresser tested the iron on a piece of paper before using it on a clients hair. If the paper burnt, the iron was too hot! However by 1924 electric waving irons were available where the temperature of the iron could be regulated. Marcel irons initially came in four sizes - A, B, C and D and were used according to individual preference, but in 1933 an adjustable iron was developed. The iron was used in conjunction with a comb. Today, gold-plated and ceramic marcel irons are available to hairdressers which remove most of the risk and problems associated with the early irons.

Sometimes ads show up on eBay for Marcel Wave combs.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    ??/38.9/39 in
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    Some were able to do the Marcel with a comb, known as the Marcel comb. You can still buy these combs -- these were used in combination with irons.

http://www.1920-30.com/fashion/hairs...rcel-wave.html
    The irons were made by L. Pelleray of Paris and exported world-wide. The original irons were heavy tongs with rounded internal surfaces that had to be handled by an operator trained in knowing how to make a deep natural looking wave, and not a round curl. The tongs were heated over a rectangular shaped gas burner about six or seven inches long and two inches wide. As you can imagine, with such primitive equipment it was hard to maintain the correct temperature for the iron - too cool and the wave did not set, too hot and the hair got burnt. The hairdresser tested the iron on a piece of paper before using it on a clients hair. If the paper burnt, the iron was too hot! However by 1924 electric waving irons were available where the temperature of the iron could be regulated. Marcel irons initially came in four sizes - A, B, C and D and were used according to individual preference, but in 1933 an adjustable iron was developed. The iron was used in conjunction with a comb. Today, gold-plated and ceramic marcel irons are available to hairdressers which remove most of the risk and problems associated with the early irons.

Sometimes ads show up on eBay for Marcel Wave combs.

heidi w.
    Thank you for that info. You always manage to come up with the most interesting links/texts. I don't know how you do it
    Lady Isilya Nimblefingers of the Flowering Buns in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I only got a 75%...

10 out of 12 correct

I am good at gambling, apparently

Length
    shldr/MBAv2/trml
    Type
    2c/M/ii

67% Below average I didn't know the Marcel, Layered back, Bouffant or Pixie (these seem much shorter these days). Now if the questions had been about updos I might have done a bit better