Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearty thanks to Madora! ;) re: Baby oil for my hair.

Length
    14"/26"/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Thumbs up Hearty thanks to Madora! ;) re: Baby oil for my hair.

Hello, All!

I am so glad that LHC is back-up-&-online again!! I've missed you all!
    Many thanks to the many persons who worked hard & long to get the favored-forum back online again! Yay. Kudos.

Meanwhile, during all our time-off/off-forum, I've gotten to use baby oil/mineral oil ($1 @ Dollartree, US) after a couple of hairwashings.

Wow.
    I'm so pleased and impressed with my results.
    I'd wholly 'resisted' the idea of putting anything 'petroleum-byproduct-based' on my hair or skin, well --- for over 4 decades now --- since I was a teenager.
    I've been eagerly trying to get online all week, to post a special thanks to especially Madora, for your simple message, over & over again on here, to "try mineral oil/Baby Oil, as a best-option detangler."

De-tangling is always an ordeal for me, and nothing since "TAME" creme rinse when I was a child, has made such a difference for me with my tangly-prone hair. It's also given an added-benefit of 'root-lift' for me, with my hair. (Your own hair texture & experience may of course vary.) I'm enjoying bigger, lusher, fuller waves --- and with the drier Autumn air down here, my updo is so much moreso luscious, lovely, nicer-fuller-curvaciousness , & 'feminicious', that I feel ever so much better about myself and my hair these days as a result --- less likened to feel like "a little ol' lady with a gray, wiry-frizzy, frazzled, fraying, topknot"!! --- (know what I mean?? )

Much appreciation, Madora!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Best regards,
    Theta
    Last edited by LadyTheta; October 12th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Length
    2-3"/30"/36"
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Hearty thanks to Madora! ;) re: Baby oil for my hair.

Are they both the same? Or could we use either/or? I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Ty for the idea. Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc
    Whether you believe you can do something, or believe you can't. you're right!

Type
    2c/M/ii

Glad you are getting good results with mineral oil!! I just started using it as well (after lovely ladies on here suggested it) and i love the results i get too!
    http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63577%3Enu%3D3278%3E755%3E5%3B%3A%3E  WSNRCG%3D37%3C66%3B%3A5%3C432%3Bnu0mrj
    still growing.....

Length
    14"/26"/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Thumbs up Re: itdontmatter's inquiry re: baby oil

Quote Originally Posted by itdontmatter48 View Post
    Are they both the same? Yes, same. Baby oil has added fragrance.
    Or could we use either/or? Yes, either, or. Baby oil cheapest. Don't buy a big bottle! of either! Little goes a long way!
    I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Mine also, lifelong.
    Ty for the idea. Thank our ever-present, ever-trustworthy Madora!
    Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc
    Per Madora's instructions, I applied to my clean, conditioned, still-wet hair ... my hair required more liberal use of baby oil than Madora's hair ... and then gently, I finger-combed my hair, starting from the ends, working slowly, gently, upwards to fingercomb from roots out to ends, and applied more to seal-in mositure to the last 6-8" of my hair and ends --- then and only then, I wide-toothed/shower-toothed-combed all of my hair, to further detangle. NO RINSE OUT of the baby oil.

I then made a gentle and loose-twist of my hair, atop my head, and gently, loosely secured with hair sticks, to allow it to dry as much as possible before bed.
    (I live in a subtropic climate, thus happen to use a box-fan year-round at the end of my bed, which helps me to keep cool & comfortable --- which also affords a gentle, cool-air-dry benefit for my hairdrying process before bed, watching tv, being online, reading a book, or whatever before sleep.

Good luck, itdon'tmatter! Because you do matter!

Theta
    Last edited by LadyTheta; October 12th, 2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: correction/proofread

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by itdontmatter48 View Post
    Are they both the same? Or could we use either/or? I would be so happy to have the cure for the tangles, since it is my biggest difficulty. Ty for the idea. Any way, how did you actually use it/ Rinse it out? etc
    Mineral oil is also known as baby oil. The best type to use is mo that contains the oil plus a fragrance. Additives have been known to cause breakouts (allergic reactions). Johnson and Johnson makes baby oil (be sure to check that the product contains only the oil plus a fragrance. J and J makes more than one baby oil product).

Application:

One or two drops on a plate.
    Use a cotton baby swab and coat it thoroughly in the oil.

Apply the swab to your palms and fingers.

Run your palms/hands down your hair several times until most of the sheen has been removed.

Works best on DAMP (not dripping wet) hair. Can also be used on dry hair.

Use it sparingly!!! It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, and is washed out easily in the next shampoo.

Moisturizes your hair, helps tame frizzies, and is a super detangler!

More about it here:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225

Mineral Oil works best on hair that has been clarified first.

Lady Theta, I'm so glad MO worked for you. Ktani, who first told me about MO, knew whereof she spoke!

Length
    14"/26"/Waist
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

Thank you, Madora, for your method and the link to the baby oil/mineral oil thread, as well as thanks/credit to ktani!

P.S. The US $1 one @ Dollartree, is just like J&J, "mineral oil, fragrance" only, no other additives. Other additives may prove problematic, for some. Your experience may vary, of course.
    Last edited by LadyTheta; October 12th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I've used it on dry ends Madora suggested it to me when my ends were shedding from the cold winter air. I like the lavender one and cocoa butter. I too get mine at the Dollar Tree.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    Pixie/knee/???
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I give in, I give in.

I've been having tangling issues lately in a major way, so I'm beginning a baby oil experiment, just to see what happens.

Not sure why I resisted this idea for so long, but it isn't even as though I need to buy any just to experiment. (we use a dab of baby oil to keep our bathroom countertops and sinks looking shiny.)

Thanks Madora, and everyone else, for spreading the knowledge.

Length
    20/waist/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/C/iii

I also tried this when the server was down. Thanks to Madora,my ends literally feel like silk I also found that it helped with static too! Now,if only I could remember to take out the mineral oil when I get out of the shower; that would be great!
    Lady Juliet, Guardian of Peace in Order of the Long Hair Knights.

Length
    shldr/APL/APL
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I tried this a couple weeks ago after reading one of Madoras posts and works a treat! Thank you!