Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mineral Oil saved my life

Length
    1.5"s/15"/38"s

Default Mineral Oil saved my life

Well not literally, but metaphorically speaking.

I had read numerous posts on here about mineral oil and I had never thought of using it before or read about anyone using it, but I have been intrigued as some ladies with the longest and shiniest hair use it and seem to swear by it.

So a week ago I tried it for the first time. Just a couple of drops on wet/damp hair. I then let my hair dry naturally and I cannot tell you how soft my hair felt when dry. Unbelievable! Now, as this was only the first time I used it, I did not want to make assumptions and thought that there could be other contributing factors, so I have tried it twice more. Each time my hair has been left feeling positively silky and shines as though someone is directing a spotlight onto it.

I cannot thank LHC and the ladies (and gents) who suggested trying it enough!

I feel as though I have been searching for something for years and have stumbled upon something cheap and cheerful that is really effective.

Thank you so much. This forum is a wonderful place and I can only encourage others to try out recommendations, because you never know what will work for you!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Mineral Oil saved my life

I had a mental block against mineral oil but bought some to protect against pool and sea for a recent trip to Mexico. It's very nice. Now I use a small amount on damp hair after washing.

Length
    26"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Yes, as a result of reading about it on this wonderful forum, I tried a few drops of mineral/baby oil on my dry and crackly ends just after CWC, while hair is still sopping wet. They're soft and pliable now. This stuff is great.
    I don't wait until the hair is damp to apply it because, since it seals in moisture, I want it to have a lot of moisture to seal in.
    I've used it for many years on my dry skin after the shower. When my lips are chapped, it works there too. It's a great hand lotion.
    How come I never thought of using it on my hair before LHC?
    Lady Cookie of the Chopin Realm in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/20/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I tried coconut oil a week ago and it worked pretty good for frizz, but if it'll make my hair shiny and silky I need to try this!

Length
    SL/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I might need to look into this for the winter months See if I can find a mineral oil without the baby-smell...
    I also cook! Check out my (dutch) cooking blog !

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

I avoided anything even containing mineral oil since the curly hair forums have demonized it. Then I decided "what the heck, I can always wash it out anyway," and I tried about 12 drops on my wet hair from the ears down, avoiding my roots so that my hair wouldn't look oily and flat.

I've been absolutely amazed. I've been using MO for months now, and I am as in love with it as I was the very first time I tried it. It is great for keeping curls moisturized.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's dirt cheap in the health care section sold as a laxative, no fragrance. Under $3 I believe for a big old bottle. But that kind is thicker, I'm told. Seemed to work just fine to me.

Unexpected Combination PinkyCat's Avatar
    Under the bed, waiting for dangling ankles...
    Length
    Black/Numbr/One
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

I really wanted it to work for me. I used it for about a month and liked it, but then it stopped working for some reason. It actually seemed to make my hair dry. I winder if its a finey thing?

Lady Roseus
    of the
    Cherry Blossom Hallow in the Order of the Long Haired Knights. >x<)))> veni vidi crepi.

Length
    17/21.5/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Mineral oil is one of the best things I've taken from LHC. I put it on, sopping wet, over my leave-in conditioner. It seals in all the moisture goodness.
    CL | SL | APL | BSL | WL | HL | TBL

Dye-free since 2/25/2012 | CO-washing since 4/28/2012 | Heat-free since 5/18/2012

Length
    10/16/bra
    Type
    4a/4b/C/iii

I was told it was bad for your hair anyway I'm will try this tonight.