View Poll Results: Where is fingertip length for you?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before mid-thigh

31 47.69%
  • Same as mid-thigh

22 33.85%
  • After mid-thigh

12 18.46%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mid-thigh and fingertip lengths - what are your proportions?

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Default Re: Mid-thigh and fingertip lengths - what are your proportions?

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I think I measured classic underneath both bum cheeks (with my longest hairs). I have a V shape, so I have to measure that way.
    That's a good point.... I've got a bit of a V happening, too. I guess that's why people usually draw a line at the bottom of the cheeks and call classic when the hair crosses that line.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alibran View Post
    That makes sense, but does lead me to wonder if everyone is measuring from the same place. (Fingertip is just above mid though on me by that measurement.) If I stood sideways on to the mirror to look, and used the top of the outside of my thigh as a reference point, it would be below. That was what made me ask the question.
    Yes, I see what you mean; I hadn't thought of that. Some stand sideways to see where FTL is for calling the milestone, but I assume most people who want to know exactly where mid-thigh is for hair growing purposes want to know so the classic-knee stretch isn't so tedious (and therefore measure from classic.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    Sure you did! Your horizontal line, like mine, occurs at the lowest points of the UU.
    Mine too. Though I have seen a hair chart that puts classic a little above that but on LHC the consensus seems to be under both cheeks - from what I've seen, anyway.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

On me, FTL is 3/4 of the way down my thigh, and I consider mid thigh a range, not a line. (Mid third)
    So, my mid thigh hair is in range of FTL.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Fingertip length for me is after mid-thigh. Out of curiosity, I had my husband measure my wingspan and it is several inches longer than my height. I’ve got long arms
    I feel like a longhair again! Retire Your Ruler for 90 Days!

Length
    Chin/Knee+/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I'm 5'4" and on me, classic was 42' and knee would be 54' if I'm not mistaken, so the distance is a full foot. I can't remember exactly where fingertip was, but I think it was around 3 or 4 inches past classic. But I mostly stopped measuring after I passed fingertip since I can't reach my ends anymore and I don't feel like asking for help.

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Anyone else here with short arms? I just looked in the mirror and FTL for me is the same as classic (if I call classic the bottom of my butt).

If I call classic half my height (just under 31.5"), then it's about BCL or TBL for me.

ALSO: There's a girl on the kid's climbing team with long hair. Her hair reaches right at her elbows (for some reason it's a marker that I seem to look at/notice the most). My hair is a few inches past my elbows now. But when I look at the normal body markers, her elbows are pretty much past her hips! Whereas mine are at my natural waist. Then I looked at where FTL would be on her, and hers reach to basically her knees.
    Last edited by gin; September 8th, 2019 at 10:42 PM.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Anyone else here with short arms? I just looked in the mirror and FTL for me is the same as classic (if I call classic the bottom of my butt).

If I call classic half my height (just under 31.5"), then it's about BCL or TBL for me.

ALSO: There's a girl on the kid's climbing team with long hair. Her hair reaches right at her elbows (for some reason it's a marker that I seem to look at/notice the most). My hair is a few inches past my elbows now. But when I look at the normal body markers, her elbows are pretty much past her hips! Whereas mine are at my natural waist. Then I looked at where FTL would be on her, and hers reach to basically her knees.
    Eyeballing in in the mirror my FTL looks to be about an inch below classic, and my elbows are about an inch below WL... never thought I had particularly short arms though, lol!
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

FTL comes before for me.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Siv View Post
    Eyeballing in in the mirror my FTL looks to be about an inch below classic, and my elbows are about an inch below WL... never thought I had particularly short arms though, lol!
    I'm a climber and arm length relative to height is something we care about, haha. I think "average" arm length is when your wingspan (when you hold your arms straight out to your sides and measure fingertip to fingertip) is the same as your height. Mine, obviously, is negative. There are quite a few climbers who have +6-8" wingspans!

I also think I have somewhat short legs relative to my torso, which is why half my height is around BCL rather than at the end of my butt. I think "classic" as half your height on an averagely-proportioned person would probably be when your butt and thighs meet. I'm just guessing though, don't know these things for sure.
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Well, my hair is nowhere near these milestones... Yet.

But visually it seems that FTL and mid thigh are pretty much the same for me. Elbows and waist are the same too. And half of my height is around BCL. Waist and hips are very near each others too, there's maybe 2 inches between.

ETA: My wingspan is ~1 inch more than my height.
    Last edited by Suortuva; September 9th, 2019 at 03:15 PM.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!