Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles?

Length
    27/Clasc/48
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles

I do alot of braided buns, held by spin pins.

PS I saw these little hair gems at walgreens, They were little clear clips with sparkles. You can bedazzle any old bun

Length
    BSL/Hip/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles

I like to do a diagonal dutch braid (which I call my katniss braid).
    http://cdn.makeupgeek.com/wp-content...10-550x418.jpg
    Last edited by Chromis; January 2nd, 2015 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Linkified

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'm sorry, I can't help laughing. Crown braids etc just don't go with a rocker attitude, imo they couldn't be much further from it at all. I might be worth keeping your bangs, just so you can look less like a librarian and mess a bout with them a lot, if it really bothers you.

I hear your problem, I felt very similarly when I came here, but I don't have any great solutions. At the moment I am experimenting with side parting and twisting parts of my hair before I put it up, it creates more height in the front without backcombing etc. I wasn't sure it made much difference really, but someone else was very excited about it and said it looks tons better and younger, so I will persist.

I got won over by the updos, not because I like the look of them, they are exactly how you describe them. But my hair is now far to long to be practical to be worn down now. Trying to untangle it gently takes so long, I just don't want to wear it down unless I have a good reason for it, even if I think it looks better. Updos are just so easy, lazy, practical.

Grew from shoulder to thumb length in 7 years without trims. Now maintaining.
    There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good. But when she was bad she was horrid.

Length
    19/29/42?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Something I forgot to mention (somehow, despite looking at your gorgeous avatar). Hats and scarves. The right ones add an extra dimension of protection from wind and general havoc, and they can look cool if you find a few in your style. I used to wear a blue bandana with two braids when I was cycling and my fringe couldn't be tucked away safely, and it didn't look like I was just doing it for the safety aspect (although my hilarious neon yellow jacket over my leather one for early mornings never looked cool).

Length
    24"/36"/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by teddygirl View Post
    I like to do a diagonal dutch braid (which I call my katniss braid).
    http://cdn.makeupgeek.com/wp-content...10-550x418.jpg
    OMG teddygirl i love your katniss braid!! my attempts don't turn out anywhere near as pretty!!
    Last edited by Chromis; January 2nd, 2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Linkified

Lady Neptune of the Tempest Tresses in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/Hip/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Sorry, I should say that isnt me, that is just from google! BUt mine is very similar, just blonde/brown.

Length
    23 cm/80 cm/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I really like accent braids for helping with this, I also wear a lot of braids as opposed to having it in a bun all of the time. I also like to play with partings, I sometimes do a french braid thingy with a very extreme side part, this looks plenty young and doesn't look like a librarian at all. I also think that how you dress has a lot to do with your appearance and if you dress like a rocker chick it won't matter if your hair is in a bun, you still won't look like a librarian.
    Lady Ambarussa of the Sunlit Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    animetor7, or Ani Currently: Hip at 80 cm Next Goal: Tailbone at 102 cm

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    bald/Hip:)/termi
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by missblueeyes View Post
    That's not exactly what I'm saying but I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.
    I'm going to go with your advice and oil my braid tassel to make up for the beating.

A gibson sounds good, I'm definitely going to test how it goes with my hair tomorrow. It's really slippery after wash day, let's see how it holds the gibson. Coloring is out of question for now as I'm not sure whether I'm keeping the bangs or not.
    I like the way you're thinking, maybe I find something I'm fond of, too. Maybe I'll get some coloured synthetic clip ins to spice up my updos.

I've been doing accent braids a lot, recently, but that doesn't really do much if the rest of the hair is left out.
    Why don't you try using spin pins? They can hide in your bun and you won't have the same look as using a hairstick. The spin pin hides in the hair.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I loved pigtails (as in, two plaits, usually French or Dutch, sometimes fishtail) back when I was going through my grunge phase about a decade ago (and before I just cut all of my hair off!). There was something ironic about them. : )
    Last edited by Freija; January 1st, 2015 at 09:13 PM.

Length
    ShL/30/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I don't have any suggestions hair-wise that haven't already been given, but I wanted to ask if you have your ears pierced? Sometimes when I do a bun that looks "older" or librarian-esque, I add my favourite pair of funky statement earrings and suddenly the look transforms completely in my opinion! Just a thought
    << on the journey to grow back to this length and beyond