Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Thick haired folk, unite!

Default Re: Thick haired folk, unite!

Lapushka, I agree. Torrin has some great styles I've watched and then tried.

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

This is an interesting thread. I used to think I had thin hair because I was measuring the DIAMETER of my pony rather than the circumference! For some reason, I thought thick hair meant your pony DIAMETER was over four inches! I guess I imagined people with thick hair carried a tree trunk on their heads!

My hair is not all that long right now (about 1.5 inches from APL), but I am having one heckuva time bunning. In part, I can't figure out how to do a lot of buns because I'm left-handed and have trouble "reversing" the directions. But another big challenge is that thick hair at shorter lengths makes it almost impossible to do a bun (or have it stay in). I'm hoping when my hair gets longer it will be a little easier -- but from what you all have said so far, maybe not.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Oh, me too! I am just brushing BSL stretched, and and too thick to do any single-strand buns yet.

Dividing my hair is my main solution, even if I'm doing a single bun- I'll make a small bun with half my hair and then wind the rest around it. It requires pins, but pins are the best solution for me up until about waist length, when sticks start working better. I usually use 3" roller pins, though I'm eager to try some of the fancier kinds (amish, bunheads).

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Roseate, have you tried doing a Pencil Bun? It's sort of like a divided bun. I am able to do one and have it hold with just a single stick. It holds very securely, too, which I love. It's the only bun I've been able to do (with my length and thickness).

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Pixna, is this the pencil bun you mean? I try this one about a billion times a day! My hair is almost long enough for this one, but not quite. Once I wrap my hair around my hand there's only about an inch sticking out, so it doesn't get trapped the way it should.

Length
    13/37.5/termi
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

i do alot of one buns with the top half then braid the rest or second bun, or wrap around like the vortex bun that cinnamoncurls made..
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=27288
    that is the tread about it, very stable and good for lots of hair but takes along time to do and lots of pins..
    If i do the lazy wrap that is here in the articles, it looks nothing like everyone elses and the ends always escape...i HATE layers. what was i thinking!
    but i am to waist with my longest layer and about 1 1/2 inches above with the next up layer...
    When i joined i said i would start trimming the layers out when i got to waist but now it doesn't feel that long and i really am thinking, maybe i will start at TB...
    Lady Primrose~Garden Keeper of the Hillside Warren in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Ear/Chin/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
    I was chatting about knot buns with someone on the forum recently, and we both mentioned that our thick hair often made styles that we should be able to do with our length almost useless. I spent months trying to figure out how to do a knot bun with my hair and kept getting more and more frustrated since it never worked. I'd watch all the videos, seeing that their length was basically the same as mine, and yet it never worked! Finally, I found a video that did not do the usual wrap around the hand before going into the knot, and voila! success.

So, I thought it might be useful to start a thread where those of us with thick (or layered since that often causes the same problem) hair could discuss workarounds for styles that are proving problematic.

Share tips, commiserate, etc!

Thanks for starting this thread. I have been wondering as my hair gets longer if I was going to be able to do upstyles with my thick hair.

I do not think it is impossible. All we neeed to do is unite and come up with alternantives.

Ready, set, , I mean style.
    3a-3b/C/iii
    (Ear)-Chin-SL-CBL-APL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-CL
    Lady Addance of the Insightful Mind in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Roseate View Post
    Pixna, is this the pencil bun you mean? I try this one about a billion times a day! My hair is almost long enough for this one, but not quite. Once I wrap my hair around my hand there's only about an inch sticking out, so it doesn't get trapped the way it should.
    Yes, that's the one Roseate. It took me about 50 tries to finally figure out how to make it work for me. My hair is shorter than yours, so I would think you could do it. Perhaps you can spend a bit of time see how you could adapt it. Once I got it sorted out (for my length and thickness), I fell in love with it. It's my daily (and only) bun, and that's enough for me.

Account Closed by Member Request

When I had BSL hair, updos were a nightmare! My hair was so heavy that I used to get constant headaches, so I wore it down or in a loose pony. When I did bun it, i had to split the hair first. My diameter is around 4 or so inches.

Length
    chin/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pixna View Post
    Yes, that's the one Roseate. It took me about 50 tries to finally figure out how to make it work for me. My hair is shorter than yours, so I would think you could do it. Perhaps you can spend a bit of time see how you could adapt it. Once I got it sorted out (for my length and thickness), I fell in love with it. It's my daily (and only) bun, and that's enough for me.
    Well, I'm gonna keep trying! I'm not exaggerating about how often I try it; it's become a habit, whenever I have my hair down I am constantly wrapping it around my hand and making an attempt at either this or the lazy wrap. I'll get there!