Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a Replica of these Incredible Hair Pins custom made?

Default Where can I get a Replica of these Incredible Hair Pins custom made?

The Bunheads 3.5" bent hair pins are the only ones that hold my hair comfortably in all sorts of updos, even loose ones. In case you haven't seen them, they look like this:

The problem is that the 3.5" size was discontinued, and the 3" don't hold as well. I still have one package, but they "wear out" or get lost over time. So I've tried alternatives: metal forks, Magic Grip, and the rest, but none work as well. Amish pins hold, but less comfortably.

Where could I go to get a replica of these custom made? I'm willing to pay whatever they need. Or, if you've seen pins that look very similar, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by UrbanEast; April 4th, 2012 at 06:19 PM.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Where can I get a Replica of these Incredible Hair Pins custom made?

I know I've seen very similar pins used by many Etsy crafters as bases to build decorated pins on, and I'll bet they're longer than 3 inches. I think they tend to lack the little bend in them that Bunheads uses to make them not lie flat, but that's easy enough to do yourself.

Let me poke around and look... If I don't report back that I found some, I'd suggest messaging the lovely Nightblooming at Etsy (Etsy's the appropriate place to contact her, not through her user here.) and ask her where she gets the crimped hairpin bases she uses. What she uses might not be precisely what you want (there's a little loop at the top), but she might know of the perfect solution.

ETA: This is probably too expensive, has a little (removable?) loop at the top, but it's a start, 3.75" long. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Plate...item68c7f0ff23

ETA2: Look at the back of these. That looks like what you need.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/90655686...finishing-pins
    Last edited by Anje; April 4th, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Default Re: Where can I get a Replica of these Incredible Hair Pins custom made?

Thanks, yes, please let me know. I've looked around on Etsy, and the only crimped hair pins I've found are shorter, typically with 2.5" of usable length. (Also, I'm not very handy, so I'm not good at bending these things to the right shape.)

I'll try messaging NightBlooming. I've bought stuff from her before, and she seems like a nice person.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Oooh, this might work. They might be flimsy. Not sure...

3.75 inch ones, in silver and gold tone.
    Silver Gold $6.70 and $10.75, respectively, for 72 of them.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

most beauty supply stores sell pins like Anje's been posting. I would think they'd have 3.5 inch...

Length
    pixie/tbl/?
    Type
    2a/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    most beauty supply stores sell pins like Anje's been posting. I would think they'd have 3.5 inch...
    I've bought crimped hairpins at Sally's, and I have Bunheads pins as well. Unfortunately the ones from Sally's are much flimsier than the Bunheads ones - I've bent them out of shape just inserting them into my hair.

ETA: Because I'm such a geek, I weighed a 2.5" Bunheads pin and a 3" Sally's pin. The Bunheads pin, though shorter, weighed 1.6 grams while the Sally's pin weighed 1.2 grams. Bunheads is 33% heavier despite being shorter.

ETA2: I wish I could have bought longer Bunheads pins, but 2.5" was the longest size they had at the local ballet studio.
    Last edited by Bonny; April 4th, 2012 at 07:05 PM.
    Growing out from pixie since October 2007

My blog: Misc Mash

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

You might try contacting HarlequinWeave on Etsy. They don't have what you want, but they do custom orders and work with all kinds of metal wire/rods. They made a custom pair of light titanium forks for me, and they might be able to make a set of pins for you from whatever metal you'd like. http://www.etsy.com/shop/HarlequinWeave

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    You might try contacting HarlequinWeave on Etsy. They don't have what you want, but they do custom orders and work with all kinds of metal wire/rods. They made a custom pair of light titanium forks for me, and they might be able to make a set of pins for you from whatever metal you'd like. http://www.etsy.com/shop/HarlequinWeave
    Thanks, I'll contact them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Oooh, this might work. They might be flimsy. Not sure...

3.75 inch ones, in silver and gold tone.
    Silver Gold $6.70 and $10.75, respectively, for 72 of them.
    Hi Anje,

Those look very close. I'm just wondering if they would hold without the bend that the BH pins have.

Hi Bonny,

Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    ETA2: I wish I could have bought longer Bunheads pins, but 2.5" was the longest size they had at the local ballet studio.
    You can by 3 inch BH pins online.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I just bought a few 4" hair pins on ebay last year. They're metal coated black and very strong. I'll see if I can find the seller again. I don't remember. And searching "hair pins" turn out thousands of results.