Page 357 of 529 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Not all tap water is equal. Both the mineral content and the pH can vary.

Some tap waters have a very low mineral content and a pH of 7, making them perfect for honey lightening. IMO, such tap water is exceptional, rather than common. I recommend using distilled or deionized water only for honey lightening. Of the two, I recommend distilled, if both are available.

Spring (bottled waters), well water and filtered waters all contain minerals, although they may have less of some impurities. Minerals can deplete the peroxide level of a honey lightening recipe.

Where I live, for example the water can go rusty. It runs clear most of the time but can dry with a rust colour on occasion and is safe to drink. The rust in my case comes from the pipes in my apartment building.

The rust can be from the water itself or the pipes it goes through, so even though the water itself may be fine, pipes can add iron to it.

I do not live where the information in this link is given, but it is generally applicable IMO, and does apply to the tap water where I do live.
    "Iron and manganese .... minerals found in drinking water supplies .... minerals will not harm you .... they may cause reddish-brown or black stains on clothes or household fixtures .... Iron and manganese may be present in the water supply or .... caused by corroding pipes (iron or steel)."

“What factors contribute to the decomposition of H2O2?
    .... primary factors contributing to H2O2 decomposition …. increasing temperature …. increasing contamination …. metals …. copper, manganese or iron …. "

"iron atom becomes an Fe+3 ion and oxygen becomes an 0-2 ion .... quickly joins with an H+ ion to form water. These two elements combine to form iron oxide, or rust."

Distilled water is used in the method developed by the Food Control Laboratory in Amsterdam, for testing honey for its peroxide value. The pH of distilled water is 7. Distilled water is what I recommend for honey lightening, because of its lack of minerals and its pH. It has been reported to yield better results in honey lightening recipes, than any other water used (with the exception of extaordinary tap water, that has the exact same properties, which is rare).

".... Food-Control Department laboratory in Amsterdam .... determine the content of glucose-oxidase in honey
    Technical performance:
    Distilled water is used "
    Last edited by ktani; April 5th, 2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: adjust text

Honey blends

Research I read, stated that dark coloured blends had higher peroxide values than light coloured blends. A dark coloured, single source honey, does not necessarily have a high peroxide value, it depends on the plant source. Avoid using Anzer, buckwheat, chestnut, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys. The idea is that the different honey peroxide levels get added together, to produce one stronger mix peroxide value. It depends on the individual honeys but it increases the odds of a successful recipe result, if one cannot find a local honey that works well for honey lightening, on its own.

There is also this. So a honeydew honey may very well be an excellent honey lightening choice.
    “…. darker and less sweet honeys …. indicative of the honey scavenging capacity, which is greater in dark honeys, mainly honeydews.

“Glucose Oxidase (GOX) is of interest in relation to antibacterial properties in honey. It catalyses glucose to form gluconic acid and Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) - the main agent responsible for antibacterial activity in most honeys. GOX activity (usually measured by its production of H2O2) is highly variable in differing honeys. …. appears that GOX activity is related to specific honey sources e.g. beech honeydew usually has a high level of activity."

"Honeydew honey from the conifer forests of the mountainous regions of central Europe and honey from manuka .... in New Zealand have been found to have high antibacterial activity."

This may mean (the higher pH), that a lower dilution with distilled water can be used and that would mean less drips with a honey lightening recipe.
    "Honeydew honeys were generally characterised by higher pH… acidity and darker colour than nectar honeys."

This honeydew honey does not contain Vitamin C, or iron, so it should be great for honey lightening. Nutrition facts.

The exact same honey can be purchased from here for a lot less money.

The Wedderspoon brand, is Canadian and they sell Manuka honey too.

New Zealand Beech Forest honeydew honey can be purchased from here.
    Last edited by ktani; April 12th, 2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

OK, I tried a honey conditioning treatment this morning and here's my results!

First, I was NOT going for lightening, so I nuked the honey for 30 seconds. I couldn't find the honey I used last year, so I just used Kroger brand clover honey, about an 1/8 cup with about the same amount of water. First I tried brushing it on but gave up and just dumped it on my hair. I put it up and let it sit for about an hour (a little bit less).

Before (left), after (right):

Before (left), after (right) (sorry the second pic is quite a bit lighter - my camera is dying!):

I don't really see any difference. Can you? It was pretty shiny already, from using lime juice in my soapnut recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    OK, I tried a honey conditioning treatment this morning and here's my results!

First, I was NOT going for lightening, so I nuked the honey for 30 seconds. I couldn't find the honey I used last year, so I just used Kroger brand clover honey, about an 1/8 cup with about the same amount of water. First I tried brushing it on but gave up and just dumped it on my hair. I put it up and let it sit for about an hour (a little bit less).

Before (left), after (right):

Before (left), after (right) (sorry the second pic is quite a bit lighter - my camera is dying!):

I don't really see any difference. Can you? It was pretty shiny already, from using lime juice in my soapnut recipe!
    Thank you for the update and pictures. You hair looks somewhat smoother in the after picture, a little "softer", in how it lays, to me. There seems to be more smoothness on the back lefthand side of your hair, too.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Thanks, Ktani, I can see what you are pointing out.

I am glad that it didn't affect my color at all, or my silvers. But, since there wasn't much difference in glossiness/shine, I probably wouldn't do it again (at least with that brand of honey!).

P.S. I forgot to mention that the little arrow is pointing to my new silver streak!

Quote Originally Posted by mellie View Post
    Thanks, Ktani, I can see what you are pointing out.

I am glad that it didn't affect my color at all, or my silvers. But, since there wasn't much difference in glossiness/shine, I probably wouldn't do it again (at least with that brand of honey!).

P.S. I forgot to mention that the little arrow is pointing to my new silver streak!
    You are most welcome! It really depends on why you did the treatment and the results to you, as to whether you want to repeat it. I did not notice the arrow, lol. The streak looks great!

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Thanks Ktani! I'm loving my new streak!! :-)

Length
    chin/waist/knee
    Type
    3b/M/ii

Mellie- how neat that you posted in this thread, did you know that Melissa, Mellie, Mallory and mellifluous are from the Latin word for honey?
    I like your streak- it's in a really cool spot.
    Lady Branwen of the Sunlit Glory
    COMFORT THE DISTURBED. DISTURB THE COMFORTABLE.

mellie has posted in Honey several times, this year, last year and 2007, in previous Honey threads.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=501

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=572
    Last edited by ktani; April 5th, 2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Last edited by ktani; April 5th, 2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling