Page 196 of 529 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206246296 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Dude - so much research, my head is buzzing! Do you ever sleep?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    Dude - so much research, my head is buzzing! Do you ever sleep?
    Someone pmed me about ingredients. I just thought I would share some of my sources and I did a bit more research on EWG.

MSDS sheets have all kinds of useful information, IMO.

Sleep? what is that?, lol.
    Last edited by ktani; August 19th, 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Well, after a long break from honey treatments, I'm sitting here with one on my hair, based on all the new findings.

My recipe:
    3/4 c distilled water
    2 T honey (same as 1/8 c)
    1 T cardamon
    app. 1/2 T EVOO

I let it sit for about an hour, stirring occasionally since the cardamon settles. I decided to try running the mix through a coffee filter so I didn't have to deal with the graininess of cardamon later. Well, it sortof worked, except the honey makes it a little thicker, so it strains really slow, but at least it's not gritty. Anyway, it's not sitting on my hair, with 2 plastic grocery bags around my hair, and then my turbie towel over that. I plan to wash after an hour so we'll see if I get any results! I can hope!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    Well, after a long break from honey treatments, I'm sitting here with one on my hair, based on all the new findings.

My recipe:
    3/4 c distilled water
    2 T honey (same as 1/8 c)
    1 T cardamon
    app. 1/2 T EVOO

I let it sit for about an hour, stirring occasionally since the cardamon settles. I decided to try running the mix through a coffee filter so I didn't have to deal with the graininess of cardamon later. Well, it sortof worked, except the honey makes it a little thicker, so it strains really slow, but at least it's not gritty. Anyway, it's not sitting on my hair, with 2 plastic grocery bags around my hair, and then my turbie towel over that. I plan to wash after an hour so we'll see if I get any results! I can hope!
    DolphinPrincess

Sounds perfect.

Good luck!

DolphinPrincess

I am looking forward to your results.

If you used the same honey as last time, this recipe should be even more successful for you, IMO.

Honey lightening is so much simpler now.

And the reported results have been so much better than with previous recipes.

Now it is just honey, distilled water (unless your tap water is mineral free and pH 7) and the choice of added peroxide boosters (ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil). Everything should be used at room temperature only, with no added heat (body heat is the exception to no heat). Here are pictures of just honey and water results.

The new dilution is the key to a successful recipe, IMO. 1/8 cup honey (2 tablespoons) needs 3/4 cup distilled water US, (1/2 cup Metric). 1/8 cup honey weighs 1.5 oz x 4 = 6 oz = 12 tablespoons distilled water needed, or x amount of honey to 4 times the amount of distilled water by weight. Here is a conversion link. Or you can just use tablespoons. 1 tablespoon of honey to 6 tablespoons of distilled water, 2 to 12 etc.

Here are pictures of results with the new dilution.

A treatment can be left to sit for 1 hour in advance of application, to produce peroxide (recommended), or used right away if you are in a hurry and it will produce peroxide while on the hair.

The recipes can be applied with a tint, blush or pastry brush, and/or a spray or squirt bottle, then the hair needs to be securely covered with plastic (wearing a swim cap is recommended) and the treatment left on the hair for about an hour. Also recommened, is to use saran wrap under a lycra swim cap. It does not squeeze out too much water and the treatment does not drip as much with this method. The hair must be completely wet with the treatment both before being covered and during the time that a treatment is on the hair.

With a good peroxide producing honey, the right dilution and method, that is all there is to it. Here is The Successful Honeys List.

ETA: If too much of a recipe is made it can be stored for a day or so but I would not go much beyond keeping it 24 hours in the fridge, not because it can go off but because the peroxide level of a recipe can peak and then decline. That varies with the honey.
    Last edited by ktani; August 25th, 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: ETA

This link is a one post summary of the new honey lightening recommendations, with explanations and links. It is in my signature too.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1096

This is a shortened version of the post in the link above.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1628

Pictures of honey lightening with the correct 4 to 1 dilution, which shows faster, better results reported.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1906

Pictures of honey lightening with just honey and water
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1907

The long Pictures Post of some reported results with honey lightening
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=1095

Length
    Bob/67"/67"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I just finished mixing up a batch (about 1 part clover honey to 4 parts water, with a teaspoon and a half of cinnamon) and I'm letting it sit for a while before I apply it. I should be able to post in a few hours with my results.
    iii 2b F 62"

Quote Originally Posted by socks View Post
    I just finished mixing up a batch (about 1 part clover honey to 4 parts water, with a teaspoon and a half of cinnamon) and I'm letting it sit for a while before I apply it. I should be able to post in a few hours with my results.
    socks

Thank you for posting your recipe.

How did you measure out the honey and water?

The correct 4 to 1 dilution is done by weight.

2 tablespoons of honey (1/8 cup), needs 3/4 cup distilled water.

50 grams of honey needs 200 grams (or 200 ml) distilled water etc.
    Last edited by ktani; August 20th, 2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    Bob/67"/67"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

I just used a visual approximation, but it was probably more like 1/4 cup of honey and 1 cup of water. If I do this again, I'll use the correct mixture.
    iii 2b F 62"