Page 163 of 529 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213263 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,630 of 5285

Thread: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Honey thread - from TBB and bits from old LHC

If the report on condition of the hair, is in a separate post from the reported results with pictures, I am now going to add it to the Pictures Post.

No one, in the 5 Honey threads to date, including this one, has reported damage; weak, thin, broken, split, or gummy hair, following honey lightening, even after multiple treatments, over long periods of time.

These signs of damage have been reported, after using conventional peroxide, in other threads.
    Last edited by ktani; July 6th, 2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: adjust text

A breakdown of the newest honey lightening recommendations, which have been reported to be working out very well. This is all in the recommendations post in my signature.

Patch test any of the ingredients not previously used on scalp or skin.

1. Choose a honey - the Successful Honeys List

If one cannot be found - try a dark coloured honey blend - raw or pasteurized - both have been reported to work equally well. Dark coloured blends were reported in research, to have higher peroxide levels than lighter coloured blends. A dark coloured, single source honey, does not necessarily have a high peroxide value - it depends on the plant source.

Jarrah honey - highly recommended - it has a very high peroxide value.

Some honeys naturally contain higher levels of Vitamin C. Avoid using Anzer, buckwheat, linden flower, locust flower, mint and thyme honeys.

2. Distilled water. It contains no minerals. Minerals can deplete the recipe peroxide (so can Vitamin C, see #5). Conditioner is no longer recommended for honey lightening. Its pH, ingredients and per centage of water can interfere with results. The same applies to coconut cream and milk (they also contain minerals and Vitamin C, as well as not enough water to properly dilute honey).

3. The new dilution (4 x the amount of water to honey by weight) - e.g. 1/8 cup honey needs 3/4 cup US (1/2 cup Metric) or 12 tablespoons distilled water. 50 g honey needs 200 g distilled water etc. Here is a conversion link. (For every 1 tablespoon of honey, use 6 tablespoons of distilled water.)

4. Do not apply heat to any of the recipe ingredients at any time. Peroxide containing boosters are ground cardamom, ground cinnamon, extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. Suggested amounts per recipe are; 1-2 tablespoons for the spices, 1 tablespoon or less for the oils.

5. Do not add lemon juice, or any other ingredient that contains Vitamin C to a recipe, like tomato products, which are no longer recommended. Hydrogen peroxide oxidizes Vitamin C, and is depleted in doing so.

6. Mix the treatment at room temperature and let it sit for 1 hour, also at room temperature, to allow the honey to produce peroxide in advance of application or use it right away and the honey will produce peroxide while on the hair.

7. Apply the treatment to wet or dry hair if there is no aloe gel on it - aloe gel contains Vitamin C, or a leave-in treatment with Vitamin C, heavy residue, or a large amount of oil on the hair (a large amount of oil will act as a barrier to the water). If there is, wash or rinse the hair first. The treatment can be applied with a tint, blush, pastry brush and/or a spray or squirt bottle.

8. Pin up, then cover the hair securely with plastic (wearing a swim cap is recommended), to keep it out of the way, competely wet (the hair needs to be very wet with the treatment, both before and while covered) and contain drips. Also recommened, is to use saran wrap under a lycra swim cap. It does not squeeze out too much water and the treatment does not drip as much with this method. Leave the treatment on the hair for about 1 hour.
    Last edited by ktani; March 14th, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: adjust text

Length
    21/21/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Wow - two silly questions in one evening - I had just read the list of honeys when I asked what honeys were good Sorry lol
    I blame it on the fact that I was getting on for 40 hours without sleep so my brain had decided to go to sleep without me.

And now I have honey on my hair! I hope it works!!

Length
    21/21/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

PS - thanks for the new guidelines - much easier for my little mind to digest lol

Quote Originally Posted by HalcyonDays View Post
    Wow - two silly questions in one evening - I had just read the list of honeys when I asked what honeys were good Sorry lol
    I blame it on the fact that I was getting on for 40 hours without sleep so my brain had decided to go to sleep without me.

And now I have honey on my hair! I hope it works!!
    HalcyonDays

I do not think any questions are silly.

You helped me realize how densely packed the text is in the recommendations post.

I broke it down for those in a hurry or like you - who are tired after a long day, or in your case, without much sleep at all.

The details are in the recommendations post, because of the many questions I get, so I am keeping the extra information there, for those who want more of an explanation.

I look forward to your report on results.
    Last edited by ktani; July 6th, 2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: clarification

PS - thanks for the new guidelines - much easier for my little mind to digest lol
    HalcyonDays

You are most welcome.

Length
    21/21/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

So here are the results -

Before

______

After

Oh dear, I really need to tidy my room and clean my mirror...

But anyway, there does seem to be quite a difference. I got a bit of residue on the ends I think - hence the spikiness. But the colour is quite a bit lighter. Woohoo!! Success!

So here are the results -

Before

______

After

Oh dear, I really need to tidy my room and clean my mirror...

But anyway, there does seem to be quite a difference. I got a bit of residue on the ends I think - hence the spikiness. But the colour is quite a bit lighter. Woohoo!! Success!
    HalcyonDays

Thank you for the pictures.

I am glad that you are so plesed with the results.

It appears to be a huge difference in colour.

Unfortunately, the before picture is really dark.

It is hard fo me to really see the difference in colour clearly.

I do believe you but you are in shadow, or it is just the lighting?

Picture lighting is tricky.

Do you have any recent pictures of your hair in better lighting?

If you do have residue, shampooing will remove that.

A vinegar rinse should help too.

Please give me the details of your recipe, the honey you used, and the method, to share with others.

And how is the condition of your hair, aside from the residue?
    Last edited by ktani; July 6th, 2008 at 03:58 PM. Reason: punctuation

Length
    21/21/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Yes, I think the lighting was a little bit darker on the first picture, but not so much as it appears. I'm standing pretty much right underneath a lightbulb in both.

That's another photo, I'm afraid they're the best I've got. All the others (when I'm not standing virtually underneath a lightbulb) are much darker.

I used Waitrose Wild Flower honey, and just mixed it 1:4 with tap water (I didn't have any distilled water). I kept it on for 2 hours instead of 1 because I forgot about it while I was watching a film.

My hair is a little softer than usual but there's not really any other change in condition.

Yes, I think the lighting was a little bit darker on the first picture, but not so much as it appears. I'm standing pretty much right underneath a lightbulb in both.

That's another photo, I'm afraid they're the best I've got. All the others (when I'm not standing virtually underneath a lightbulb) are much darker.

I used Waitrose Wild Flower honey, and just mixed it 1:4 with tap water (I didn't have any distilled water). I kept it on for 2 hours instead of 1 because I forgot about it while I was watching a film.

My hair is a little softer than usual but there's not really any other change in condition.
    HalcyonDays

You definitely got lightening IMO.

I am glad to hear that your hair is soft in spite of the residue.

Thank you for the 3rd picture and the recipe and honey details.

Tap water has been reported to work.

Distilled water works better IMO.

You can use your after picture for future honey lightening results.

Thank you for taking the time to picture hunt.
    Last edited by ktani; July 6th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling