Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Brazilian blowout a swear word here??

Length
    50cm/50cm/100cm
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default Is Brazilian blowout a swear word here??

Has anyone had a Brazilian blowout??
    I've had mixed reviews, my bestfriend has had it done and loves it but I've also read that even though it has keratin and other vitamins that it can damage the hair.

My hair is extremely dry and frizzy but thinning so I'm not 100% sure it's a great idea for me.

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Is Brazilian blowout a swear word here??

I've had a lot of people tell me that it doesn't your hair because it's a protein treatment. But honestly, it alters your strand's structure and doesn't sound healthy in the least.

Length
    15/32/33
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I had 3 Brazilian blow-outs in the past and although I thought they were brilliant at the time, soon extreme damage followed and I had to cut off over 5 inches of hair. Stay away!

Natural Blonde...Had a few years off LHC enjoying my long hair (a little too much) Back to improve on hair quality ....and maybe a little more length
    WAIST/HIP - - -1c/2a - ii - F - - -

Length
    50cm/50cm/100cm
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Oksana View Post
    I had 3 Brazilian blow-outs in the past and although I thought they were brilliant at the time, soon extreme damage followed and I had to cut off over 5 inches of hair. Stay away!
    She is on her first one, she is planing on having another one in the next few months, I'll see how she gets on with it because she's not the kind of person to listen even if I tell her I think it's bad for the hair long term.
    I myself am just looking for a quick fix but I guess there isn't one for my situation.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shouldalistened View Post
    She is on her first one, she is planing on having another one in the next few months, I'll see how she gets on with it because she's not the kind of person to listen even if I tell her I think it's bad for the hair long term.
    I myself am just looking for a quick fix but I guess there isn't one for my situation.
    There is no such thing as a quick fix for damaged hair. You can have the illusion of healthy hair but the hair is still damaged.

Stay far away from Brazilian Blowouts. Not good for your hair. If you do a search here you'll find more threads.

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

From what I understand (which isn't much) they're not good for your hair. Like rufflebutt says, they alter your strand's structure.

You say your hair is dry and frizzy -- have you looked at conditioner washing at all?
    Lady Brave, the Not So
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Length
    50cm/50cm/100cm
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by brave View Post
    From what I understand (which isn't much) they're not good for your hair. Like rufflebutt says, they alter your strand's structure.

You say your hair is dry and frizzy -- have you looked at conditioner washing at all?
    I'm not even sure what that is?? I use conditioner/leave in/masks ect??

Length
    50cm/50cm/100cm
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    There is no such thing as a quick fix for damaged hair. You can have the illusion of healthy hair but the hair is still damaged.

Stay far away from Brazilian Blowouts. Not good for your hair. If you do a search here you'll find more threads.
    Illusion is so true - I long for the day where I can just wash my hair and leave it and it looks lovely and soft.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

A Brazilian blow out is a chemical straightening process. It usually uses formaldehyde and it's usually not the healthiest thing you can do for your body, never mind your hair.

Also, pretty much no one who types as 1b/1c is going to be all that interested in a straightening process. For a typical 1b, you can't necessarily see that there's wave in the hair. Some 1c types do have visible wave, but we're talking visible as in can be counted on your fingers still when their hair is past classic.

My general rule of thumb is if you think a straightener is useful, you're not a 1 of any sort.

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Shouldalistened View Post
    I'm not even sure what that is?? I use conditioner/leave in/masks ect??
    Not quite, you eschew shampoo and use conditioner in its place. As far as alternative wash methods go it's one of the easiest to adapt to and loads of people (myself included) have had our hair be much improved by it. With shampoo I have a frizzy mess, with conditioner washing I have a substantially less frizzy mess. It's based off the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey, which you can find pretty much summed up here. We have a huge giant thread on it that's quite useful, since there are some different methods people use.

/end CO missionary work

edit: Torrilin has a good point. You may be a hidden wavy if you have a serious frizz problem. If you're in the mood for a really quick intro to co-washing, try this alternate hair typing method.
    Last edited by brave; August 27th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    Lady Brave, the Not So
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity