Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloe Vera gel... but it has lidocaine...

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Default Aloe Vera gel... but it has lidocaine...

Ok so I saw someone mention that aloe vera gel is a good moisture treatment, and my ends need a good moisture treatment... but this type of aloe vera gel I have happens to be for sunburns, and it contains lidocaine... would it still be okay to apply to my hair, or no? I can't decide. I just have to figure out if the lidocaine would have a negative effect on hair. But it's way down on the ingredient list. The first two ingredients are water and aloe vera juice. Should be ok, right?
    "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." -Mother Teresa Buy some of my hand carved hair sticks in my Etsy shop! And be sure to watch my hair in action on my youtube

Length
    2/22/31
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Aloe Vera gel... but it has lidocaine...

usually in aloe gels like that there is also alcohol included in the ingredients list, which you do not want on your hair. is it clear, or is it bright blue or green? the aloe vera you want to put on your hair is 100% aloe vera gel, without any additives or colours. lidocaine might do nothing more than numb your scalp, but i wouldn't risk it if i were you.
    i like to look up wild
    at an infinite sky

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I saw on the SMT thread that people have had bad results when using aloe with lidocane, at least in a SMT.

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    usually in aloe gels like that there is also alcohol included in the ingredients list, which you do not want on your hair. is it clear, or is it bright blue or green? the aloe vera you want to put on your hair is 100% aloe vera gel, without any additives or colours. lidocaine might do nothing more than numb your scalp, but i wouldn't risk it if i were you.
    Yes it is blue, and it's called Australian Gold. I need to check the ingredient list again because if my memory serves me correctly it doesn't contain alcohol, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by czech it out View Post
    I saw on the SMT thread that people have had bad results when using aloe with lidocane, at least in a SMT.
    Oh that sucks Where can I get pure aloe gel? I have no idea where to even start looking.
    "Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you." -Mother Teresa Buy some of my hand carved hair sticks in my Etsy shop! And be sure to watch my hair in action on my youtube

Length
    2/22/31
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

you can usually find aloe at health food stores if you can't find any clear gel at a basic drug store.
    i like to look up wild
    at an infinite sky

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by czech it out View Post
    What's SMT? sorry, I'm LHC abbreviations ignorant, lol.

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Here's the ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, Aloe Barbadensis juice, Vitamin E Acetate, Lidocaine hci, spearmint leaf oil, pollen extract, lemon peel extract, comfrey leaf extract, tilia cordata flower extract, carbomer, phenoxyethanol, triethanolamine, panthenol, glyceryl polymethacrylate, methylparaben, allantoin, peg-60 lanolin, propylparaben, blue 1.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

SMT is a moisture treatment that's pretty popular here, and invented by a LHC member. Maybe you could try it for your ends? Here's a link:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...read.php?t=128

And you can see under "aloe gels reported to be problematic," the ones with pain relievers are listed. Clear aloe gel is easy to find though, at least in the US. I got mine at the drugstore in the sunscreen aisle. Just remember to avoid the ones with alcohol or dyes.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by katfemme89 View Post
    Yes it is blue, and it's called Australian Gold. I need to check the ingredient list again because if my memory serves me correctly it doesn't contain alcohol, but I could be wrong.

Oh that sucks Where can I get pure aloe gel? I have no idea where to even start looking.
    There is a little confusion about aloe vera gel.

The only way to get 100% pure with no additives is to take it from the plant.

The next closest is aloe vera juice. The gel breaks down into a liquid very quickly after being taken from the plant. The juice is the gel with a small amount of citric acid added as a preservative. The best price I have found for this is at Walgreens ($9 for a gallon) and it is usually with the supplements or the first aid.

The clear gel that you buy will have thickeners to keep it in gel form like carbomer, polymers, or other things that can get crunchy or build up. If you can find Aubrey Organics, it is thickened with guar gum which is actually an excellent conditioner. The clear gels can also have preservatives like DMDM Hydantoin, urea, etc that give off formaldehyde.

The "cooling" gels generally are the ones with topical analgesics and are not good for hair.

Like anything else, know what you want and read labels. I know some who have had excellent results putting the pure juice into a mister bottle and spritzing it on the hair.
    Last edited by In2wishin; September 3rd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

Length
    22"/30"/Term
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Thank you, czech it out I will read that article right now!

And thank you for the awesome info, in2wishin!

I love you guys! You're so helpful! *hugs*