Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maiden braids (picture heavy)

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Maiden braids (picture heavy)

Have you guys seen maiden braids? I know they aren't exactly a protective hairstyle, but I find them absolutely adorable!

Basically, you make braids on the side of your head and wrap them around like hairbands. I love wearing my hair like this on my days off from work. I love it! How about you guys?

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Maiden braids (picture heavy)

I've never worn this myself (yet), but it's super-cute!

Type
    2b/M/iii

Who said maiden braids weren't hair friendly? They're also known as Heidi braids and an easy way to wear your hair, provided you don't pull them tightly.

Most people do 2 tiers but 3 can be done if you have enough hair to pull it off.

Type
    3a/M/ii

This is one of my favorite styles. And it is a protective and hair-friendly updo, if you pin all the hair up (second pic, versus first).
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    16/31/36
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I love this hairstyle - it tends to be my "weekend" hair because I can put it up & it stays out of the way while I putter around the house.

I do Heidi braids for workouts. (used to be a bun, but now that we're doing a workout more likely to have us doing crunches and other stuff on the floor, obviously having a huge knob of hair on the back of my head doesn't work.) I also do it for dance competitions (after evolving through a few styles over the years to find something that will hold up to a lot of jumping up and down but doesn't take forever or a billion pins to do, Heidi braids are where I'm at right now).

I get a lot of compliments when I wear them, but that could be because it's so rare for me to wear them and people just like seeing something different-- if I always wore them, maybe I'd get compliments when I did something else. But they do sort of resemble a crown, and my mom thinks they make me look older.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Type
    1b/M/ii

That is a beautiful hairstyle. And yet I never do it, I don't know why

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My goodness the second girl has a LOT of hair! I could never pull of Heidi braids very well because when my hair's split in two halves it's quite thin. As other posters have said, they can be pretty protective, but I never got them to stay very well, either. Maybe I was doing them wrong?
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I've always loved maiden braids, but have never really figured out how to do it properly; nor do I have anyone here that knows how to do much with my hair to help me.

Does anyone else look at the steps and go "1.. okay 2.. okay.. uh 3?... wait.. how did we get to 5 again?" lol
    I'm hopeless on this one.

Length
    15/17/32
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

This is a lovely hairstyle! If I have longer hair I would love to try this... and I agree with the above poster who said it looks like it would be really useful for working out! Not to mention pretty.