Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Henna specifically for strength and thickening

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Henna specifically for strength and thickening

Honestly I've found the claims of this henna is more red and this henna is more orange to be total bupkis.

I did this experiment where I took 6 types of henna from 4 different reputable suppliers. I controlled everything, water type and temp, dye release time, hair soak time, temperature for dye release and on-hair time.

The hennas I tested were: Bulk Rajasthani (2018 ), Organic Rajasthani (2018 ), Red Raj (2018 ) Bottom Row: Jamila (2018 ) , Moroccan (2018 ), Yemini (2016)

Good luck telling them apart.

I think a LOT of that narrative is pushed by people selling henna who want to well, want to sell henna and pretend there's more nuance than there is. But good henna is good henna. It's the same plant, with the same dye molecule, and the super expensive much touted dye content of Red Raj dyed EXACTLY THE SAME as Jamila and Moroccan (which are often perceived to be more coppery).

Compare that to the various colors you can get when you dilute or add other herbs to henna:

Last edited by Nightshade; August 16th, 2019 at 01:39 AM.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

On the subject of differences between henna varieties, I'm wondering if anybody has noticed a difference between fresher vs older batches.

It could be my imagination, but the parts of my hair that were previously dyed with box henna seem so much duller than the parts that just have a Moroccan henna and cassia mix on them (which sparkle in the sun).

The box henna was Mountain something-or-rather... got it off Amazon and had just done some glosses with it, nothing longer than 30/45 minutes.

Any experiments with this kind of thing?

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    On the subject of differences between henna varieties, I'm wondering if anybody has noticed a difference between fresher vs older batches.

It could be my imagination, but the parts of my hair that were previously dyed with box henna seem so much duller than the parts that just have a Moroccan henna and cassia mix on them (which sparkle in the sun).

The box henna was Mountain something-or-rather... got it off Amazon and had just done some glosses with it, nothing longer than 30/45 minutes.

Any experiments with this kind of thing?
    In the experiment I posted above, the Yemini was two years older than the other test samples (because I couldn't be confident that anything marketed as Yemini henna from a recent crop was legit, and I personally got Yemini henna in 2016).

So long as the quality is good and you've stored it properly, it dyes just as strong as the fresh batches, at least going off my experiment results.

What you're talking about, Light Mountain, is often not stored properly (it's been sitting on a shelf for who knows how long) and while the quality of its ingredients is at least pure plant matter, overall they're not high quality.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

That's good to know. Do you think it's possible that the improperly stored henna yielded a browner shade? I had that result prior to ever flat ironing, which I've done once for a perm, and the color before and after was the same. However I've read that henna stained silk browns with ironing. It almost seemed like my light mountain browned all on its own, if that's even possible. I'd like to avoid that again!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

That's good to know. Do you think it's possible that the improperly stored henna yielded a browner shade? I had that result prior to ever flat ironing, which I've done once for a perm, and the color before and after was the same. However I've read that henna stained silk browns with ironing. It almost seemed like my light mountain browned all on its own, if that's even possible. I'd like to avoid that again!
    It's honestly hard to say. All those hennas I tested? Still the same color. The problem is there are SO many variations when it comes to hennaed hair and how it's treated that it's hard to isolate variables enough to narrow down the cause.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Still the same color - nice! It makes more sense to me that they would all look and behave the same since lawsone is lawsone, rather than there being any discernable variations. Red Raj having a reputation for being redder seems 100% explained by the high lawsone content (not that that's not a good reason to buy it). Personally I'd rather save a few bucks. I think it's odd though that sellers still describe differences between varieties, but I guess that comes down to staying profitable.

I'd still love to see experiments with heat on different varieties though, and different test strands. It's amazing how some people get darkening or browning and some don't.

In your experience with mixing different herbs (aside from cassia), is there any effect on color and longevity or are other additions mainly affecting smell, feel, etc.?

Hi LadyStardust Have you tried doing a clarifying/chelating wash? My henna looked brown a few years ago and I thought it had faded, but when I washed with a chelating shampoo (made for swimmers) it returned to the lovely henna red. The hard water deposits had dulled the colour.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Still the same color - nice! It makes more sense to me that they would all look and behave the same since lawsone is lawsone, rather than there being any discernable variations. Red Raj having a reputation for being redder seems 100% explained by the high lawsone content (not that that's not a good reason to buy it). Personally I'd rather save a few bucks. I think it's odd though that sellers still describe differences between varieties, but I guess that comes down to staying profitable.

I'd still love to see experiments with heat on different varieties though, and different test strands. It's amazing how some people get darkening or browning and some don't.

In your experience with mixing different herbs (aside from cassia), is there any effect on color and longevity or are other additions mainly affecting smell, feel, etc.?
    Aye I'd love to test browning I just need a flat iron. I keep meaning, and forgetting, to ask on the swap board if anyone has one they want to donate for science.

For the color, I'm not a skin henna artist, and perhaps those variations in dye content matter more on skin (which is very possible and not tested), but they absolutely do not matter on hair the way it's often claimed.

For longevity, I think it kicks in after a point and to a point. Henna will fade more if it's diluted. With some of the lighter blends I've made, I've noticed the color tends to fade a little after the first application, but be colorfast after the second. The herbs that affect color meaningfully are pretty few (indigo, hibiscus, cassia, etc), but even in these cases it's as much a factor that you're diluting the henna as that you're adding a second color

Length
    N/BSL/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

That's good to know. Do you think it's possible that the improperly stored henna yielded a browner shade?
    I just recently dug up the henna I used 10 years ago which was by no means properly stored. It was kept in various dry and not so dry,dark places and temperatures varied greatly. I did a strand test just to see if I could still use it.

I mixed it with warm water and lemon just to recreate how I used it back then because I know how that is supposed to look in my hair. Let it sit for dye release and did a four hour soak test strand. It actually turned out henna red BUT the henna red I would be left with after at least 3 full head applications. And there was no orangey phase, no visible oxidation AT ALL. The color never changed, it still looks the same today as it did 3 weeks ago. No brown, no orange, just dark henna red.

Since it's still visibly staining it's at least good for experimenting if not for my hair. I'm almost done with my henna gel experiment, just waiting for the "freeze&reuse"-ability test.

Length
    Buzz/APL/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

@Lady Stardust Oh I think you may be right, I have very very hard water where I live. I'll have to chelate more often. I actually did one right before my most recent henna touch up and I wondered why my hair looked lighter and sparklier. Did not put two and two together!