Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to S&D but Im pretty nervous about it

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default I want to S&D but Im pretty nervous about it

Can I mess this up? I have never done anything to my hair by myself. I have never trimmed my bangs or colored my hair. My hair is pretty damaged almost BSL. I have a few long layers in the back and I have those awful white dots. And the splits are embarrasing.

I cant do my whole head can I? I mean theres no why I will be able to do my back without missing some-or alot? So to get as much as I can is good enough right? Im pretty scared my hair is splitting all the way up the shaft. Well about three to four inches from my part is beautiful and healthy hair of course. The rest is flyaways everywhere. I know its damage and Im just praying its not spits going up the whole strand of hair. The flyaways seem to stop at this one spot and they havent gotten any closer to my part so Im hoping.

So Im hoping to get used to S&D and maybe I can get rid of some of the splits!

Length
    APL/APL+/WL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: I want to S&D but Im pretty nervous about it

good luck with it! For me, it is very rare to have long splits, because they used to break off at a certain point. S&D is kind of fun for me
    5 inches to hip!

Length
    CL/CL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I just do a section at a time. You aren't chopping off swaths of hair, so it's not noticeable when you trim off a split. I tend to ignore the white dots and take care of those when I get a trim.

Length
    24BSL/35TBL/42 CL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

TBH if your hair is that badly damaged, you might want to consider getting a decent trim of a couple of inches first.

You can't really mess up S&D, although if a huge amount of your hair is damaged as it sounds, you could well end up with a very uneven hemline.

If I were in your position, I would be getting a good trim first to get rid of the bulk of the damage, then use S&D to tackle the damage further up the shaft.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    Can I mess this up? I have never done anything to my hair by myself. I have never trimmed my bangs or colored my hair. My hair is pretty damaged almost BSL. I have a few long layers in the back and I have those awful white dots. And the splits are embarrasing.

I cant do my whole head can I? I mean theres no why I will be able to do my back without missing some-or alot? So to get as much as I can is good enough right? Im pretty scared my hair is splitting all the way up the shaft. Well about three to four inches from my part is beautiful and healthy hair of course. The rest is flyaways everywhere. I know its damage and Im just praying its not spits going up the whole strand of hair. The flyaways seem to stop at this one spot and they havent gotten any closer to my part so Im hoping.

So Im hoping to get used to S&D and maybe I can get rid of some of the splits!
    The only way you can go wrong with S and D is to use scissors that are not sharp. If your shears are dull, when you snip off that split, the shears will not cut it properly and you'll end up with a "white dot", which is damage. So make sure your scissors are sharp, and don't use them for anything but S and D.

Be sure you use good lighting when you do it! Don't ruin your eyes. It helps to have a background contrasting color...i.e. if you have light hair, have a dark background and vice versa.

You might also want to look into stopping the splits before they appear. Splits are usually due to either mechanical damage or lack of moisture in your hair.

Article on helping retain moisture thru the use of mineral oil:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=225

Article on using catnip rinses to combat splits:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&articleid=118

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Thanks for all the advice! Im going to pick up some hair sheers at Sallys and just do the best I can. I had four inches taken off a year ago in May and micro trims until last month I had a half inch taken off. I had been oiling and using macadamia reconstructive mask until last month my hd said she thought I needed protein and I was using way too much oils in my hair. Before she ever said that I had tried a protein pack from Sallys, I wish I could remember the name, and it didnt do anything for my hair. It looked drier than before I used it. And I did use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards too. So I figured my hair must not need protein. So I thought my hd was crazy when she suggested I use a protein S&C from the salon but I figured nothing else seems to be working so I might as well try it. And she told me to stay away from the oils until my next visit so she can see what my hair looks like with just the S&C. I wasnt over joyed about that but like I said, nothing seems to be working for me so what the heck right?!

Well I do like the S&C. My hair is damaged so its not like anything is going to make it look beautiful but the S&C does make it look a little better. So I am happy about that but very confused about my hair. I have fine ash color hair that has bleach highlights that are covered up by color while the highlights grow out. My hair does not like Mane and Tail, coconut oil, or protein packs. But it did like the salon protein shampoo. I really thought my hair needed moisture

Its just very confusing. I want help my hair come back from the dead! I know damaged hair cant be fixed but I can still treat it really good to at least help it out and camoflauge it till the damage grows out!

I guess S&D is heading in the right direction right?!

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I say get a couple of inches cut off since it's that damaged! healthier short hair is better than damaged long hair. Plus if it's healthy it will grow out faster.
    Current Hair length: Tailbone with layers

Length
    18/28.5/32
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Don't be nervous! It's actually pretty relaxing Don't worry about getting all of your splits at once, just S&D whenever you have nothing else to do and you'll have better looking hair in no time!

Length
    APL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Maybe you should consider another small trim? A lot of damage and S&D equals an uneven hemline. I've been there done that. Aside from the uneven hemline, there isn't much you can mess up. Just relax, it'll be okay.

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Trust yourself and your instincts! You will only be cutting off damaged hair anyway, so how can you go wrong? If your hair is in really bad shape and your S&Ding thins out your hemline, you can trim the ends a little. Eventually your healthy hair will grow long.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights