Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LHC sins.... not so sinful. (Chemical colour and flat irons!)

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default LHC sins.... not so sinful. (Chemical colour and flat irons!)

Lots of people on LHC seem to think that if you chemically colour or flat iron your hair you're instantly screwed, your hair is going to break off in handfuls, will never get long, and will look dull and damaged.

Now I'd like to present the counter argument. I use chemical colour and, on rare occasions, have fun with a flat iron.

Many people here have the story "I used to chemically colour and flat iron and my hair was awful"... they never put the disclaimer that they were flat ironing and blow drying EVERY SINGLE DAY, never did a deep treatment, brushed their hair instead of combed and didn't have a clue how to properly condition the hair.

Because of this a lot of LHCers deny themselves the use of chemical dyes and flat irons.

It is entirely possible to use dyes and flat irons aslong as you're sensible. Don't dye every 2 weeks, the likelihood is your roots are only obvious to YOU. You can easily go 8 weeks between dyes and then you only have to dye the new growth, not the ends of your hair. You don't want to dye the ends over and over or they'll get over processed.

And what about flat irons? How about using a heat protection spray and only flat ironing once in a blue moon? Even once a month or once a fortnight would be OK. Never flat iron hair that's still wet, let it dry completely before you get the flat irons out or you'll fry your hair to death.

I feel now is the time to provide photographic evidence that dyed, flat ironed hair cans till look awesome and be healthy... my hair is soft and manageable with not a split end in sight and I'm committing some of the biggest "sins" an LHC could commit.

Without further ado:

If my hair can be awesome, soft, shiny and manageable despite straight irons and chemical colour, yours can too
    Pegs

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: LHC sins.... not so sinful. (Chemical colour and flat irons!)

Ha! I don't color at all (but maybe I should) and very rarely flat iron. Even so, my hair seems to be disintegrating. It's just awful! I don't even have to look for splits; they leap right up and slap me.

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Ha! I don't color at all (but maybe I should) and very rarely flat iron. Even so, my hair seems to be disintegrating. It's just awful! I don't even have to look for splits; they leap right up and slap me.
    See, individual aspect. I know people who flat iron every day and have no splits (*insert rude comment about said girls here*) and others who treat their hair fantastically but still have splits from hell.
    Pegs

Length
    --/APL--/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

That *IS* blinding shine. Your hair looks fabulous, Pegs.

Now that I have broken myself of the habit of using heat styling tools, I do occasionally use them. Mostly steam rollers, since my hair is already nearly stick straight so I have no need of a flat iron, really.
    I agree if a person uses proper hair care, occasional heat styling and responsible coloring/chemical use really is fine. It was the habit of using it, multiple major chemical colorings, in combination with being clueless about how to really truly take care of my hair, that damaged my hair long ago.
    Heck, if their hair looks like yours, then all is well

Henna. 1b. F. ii/iii.

Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

This reminds me of my dear old dad who used to tell me all my hair would be gone by the time I was 25 because I "put all that gunk" (cleaned up for LHC ) in my hair.
    At the time I was chemically coloring my hair. And trying to use a curling iron here and there.

I look at it this way. If it makes you happy; then go for it!

Length
    19"/23"/30" ?
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii/iii

I agree pegs your hair looks great! I use to flat iron all the time. I still think hair can look great doing both! Just not all the time!
    Chopped my hair off a couple months ago, after having it for 8 years. On to the growing process once again! Here we go!!!

Length
    Short/BSL/??
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Eep, I realise this post could be misconstrued.

If someone's happy with all natural hair, more power to them. But some people won't use straight irons or chemical colours no matter how much they want them for fear of OMG DAMAGE. It was more to say "Hey, it's ok to do these things in moderation."
    Pegs

Length
    --/APL--/TB
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Marsters View Post
    See, individual aspect. I know people who flat iron every day and have no splits (*insert rude comment about said girls here*) and others who treat their hair fantastically but still have splits from hell.
    that's true- it does seem to be very individual.
    My hair is very fine, so chemical coloring and very much heat styling does do damage. If I am careful, then the heat styling does not do much- but it cannot be a daily thing or I soon notice dryness and splitting.

My sister has m/c hair, and I swear she can do ANYTHING to her hair and it is strong and healthy. She keeps it above BSL, so that may have something to do with it, too- but I think each person is going to have a different hair thrashability threshold

Henna. 1b. F. ii/iii.

Length
    22/31/36
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I agree 100% with you pegs! I don't think dying or heat styling your hair (in moderation) is really bad but I don't do it anymore because I really would like to see my virgin hair (I haven't had fully virgin hair since I was 16 or so). I also am too lazy to blow dry or heat style my hair, and I am in an epic battle with moisture right now so I don't want to steal more moisture from my hair.

I was one of the people who dyed my hair tons and used flat irons on wet hair. I think it is better for your hair if you don't heat style or dye your hair but you can still have very nice, pretty hair while doing those things in moderation as you illustrated so prettily

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Gorgeous shine, Pegs! Unfortunately, I'm with Spidermom on this. My hair's never seen a flat iron, the ends may have seen a blowdryer a dozen times or less, has seen deposit-only color about twice in my lifetime, is quite pampered, and has splits and white dots throughout the length that I struggle to keep up with.

Those with fragile hair know who you are. Everyone else can indulge, in moderation.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!