Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: What inspired long hair for you?

Length
    24”/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: What inspired long hair for you?

A close friend of mine who has had hers long since she grew it out in high school. And because I feel long hair will suit me while I’m so tall!
    APL - BSL - *MBL* - WL - HL - TBL
    Last trim: 12th March 2021
    Pantene fanatic, sulphate and silicone lover

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHealthy View Post
    A close friend of mine who has had hers long since she grew it out in high school. And because I feel long hair will suit me while I’m so tall!
    I can also say a close friend of mine from high school inspired me to grow mine really long after me seeing her beautiful long tresses. I feel the same way you feel of the reason why you want long hair. I feel that it will suit me because of my wide framing face. Short hair on me does not look good. Everybody tells me that I look more better with long hair.

Type
    3a/F/i/ii

My husband prefers it. I have naturally fine and fragile hair that has become increasingly harder to grow long as I get older. But I've recently found a couple products that have made a profound difference and so now I feel up to the challenge

When I was a little girl, probably 6 or 7 years old, I watched my grandmother comb out her knee length, very thick, silver hair. It was so beautiful and I was enchanted. Then came the years of fairy tales. The princesses always had long, beautiful tresses. I was mesmerized by it all. Finally, as I grew older, I watched Jane Seymour in Battlestar Galactica. What gorgeous hair she had! From then on, I decided to grow my hair as long as I could. The last time I had short hair was in my mid-twenties. I am now in my early 70s.

Long hair isn't for everyone; there are people with long hair and then there are long-haired people.

Account Closed by Member Request

I saw this picture a few years ago and was like, "I want that."

Between curly, graying, and middle age...I noticed the crown thinning and said I refuse to regret something as trivial as not growing my hair long while I have the choice.

Yes, it fluffs out and looks fuller when dry, but this really shows it.

Length
    CL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Always had short hair (chin bob) because I have 2 older brothers and a twin sister that my parents needed to take care of when I was little. It was easier to keep my and sister's hair short.

Started to dye at the age of 12 and kept it short because it made colouring my own hair less difficult.

At the age of 21 I became very self conscious of my hair being damaged and I had to perform in front of large groups. Also, I wanted to find out what long hair would look on me and I started to admire long hair in movies/series etc. I think long hair looks good on me

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

My mother's side of the family (straights) and my father's side of the family (curlies) were always arguing about how to care for my weird half-and-half hair when I was a kid. My maternal grandmother generally cut my hair, so her opinion--that it would be easier to care for if it was kept pretty short--tended to win out. When my hair is short I have absolutely wild 3b hair that gets everywhere and is a huge pain (still true of the one lock I keep trimmed short!). My dad had grown his hair out at various points, but he has 4b hair and just winds up with a 'fro, which probably wouldn't have been all that much easier to care for on a kid's head. So, without knowing much more about caring for curly hair, my grandmother's method was not working especially well. When I was about six or seven, my mother gave up and took me to a ~real salon~ for the first time. The cosmetologist asked me how I wanted my hair cut/styled, and I just asked her, "Leave enough that I can tuck it behind my ears." In retrospect, I honestly think she must have just misheard me, because I wound up with a bowl cut that ended just above my ears!

Without being able to tuck it back or pull it into a ponytail, my short hair was an utter wreck to try and maintain. I couldn't step outside into the wind for thirty seconds without it tangling into a mat. My mother was at her wits' end, and I was too young to help out all that much. In stepped my paternal uncle, whose hair was definitely curlier than mine but not so curly as my dad's. He had very beautiful natural hair which he wore waist-length back then. He pointed out that he found his hair easier to deal with, not harder, when it was grown out--the weight of the hair kept it from ringlet-ing all over the place, and it made it easier to keep back or up out of your eyes. I was game to try it, so, on his advice, my parents decided to let me grow my hair out. I haven't been back since! He also sent us packages of metal-free hair ties from San Francisco back when they were impossible to get here, lol. My uncle died about three years ago now, and my little cousin has exactly the same beautiful hair type that he did. Z''l Uncle Craig; we miss you.
    Last edited by shelomit; November 24th, 2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Typo : p

Good man, Uncle Craig!

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
    Good man, Uncle Craig!
    He was, yeah <3