Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shea Moisture Thread

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default The Shea Moisture Thread

A lot of people have commented on using this line, but I didn't see a thread about it. A google search only yielded things like "Have you used this line?"

So I'm starting a thread.

I think a lot of different hair types are using Shea Moisture, but I suspect we are all using the line slightly differently.

So here's a place to explore use of Shea Moisture.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Default Re: The Shea Moisture Thread

AND of course I had a question!

I bought the curly souffle because it was protein free and looked yummy for dry hair. In fact, the ingredients reminded me a lot of an SMT, but oil instead of conditioner:

Ingredients
    Aqueous Infusion of Agave Teqilana Leaf Extract and Sugar Cane Extract , Pectin , Vegetable Glycerin , Adansonia Digitata Pulp Extract (Baobab) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) , Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B-5) , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract , Tocopherol (Vitamin E) , Linum Usitatissimum Seed Extract (Linseed/Flax) , Hibiscus Sabdariffa Extract , Potassium Sorbate , Proprietary Essential Oil Blend

After a co-washed as usual, then applied this to my hair as a leave-in. What I found odd was that my hair hated it, even using so little as ~1/2tsp (~2mL) of product. It left my hair moisturized by extremely sticky.

Here's where it gets interesting. I eventually got sick of the feeling, hopped in the shower and rinses it out.

My hair was better than it's been in a long time and I didn't even need a leave-in (which is insane with my hair). Thoughts?
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    SL/SL+/TBL??
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Sounds like it would be fairly sticky from the ingredients, but if it works as a conditioner go for it!

I have the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Someone once asked me if it was for eating. And how I knew that it wasn't. It works really well though and I love the smell. I goop it in as a leave in.
    Lady Brave, the Not So
    medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I love the SheaMoisture line. In fact, there is no other product line that I've been able to get such marvelous results with, so to say I'm thrilled would be a vast understatement. I have quite a few different things right now, because I'm experimenting to see what works best.

Moisture retention shampoo: love it--cleanses gently, but doesn't dry out my ends.

Curl and style milk: LOVE it--fabulous stuff. Rinse out or leave in, it's great.

Restorative conditioner: Love it--this works really well for CO for me, which is kind of odd because I have an almost impossible time finding good CO conditioners (they tend to gunk up) and this one is pretty heavy

Smoothie: I like it, but it's a little too much for my hair (maybe that's because I'm a little heavy-handed with it). The milk is better. I think the smoothie would be great for 4 hair. It's not bad as a rinse out or a DT.

Deep treatment masque: LOVE it, although I've only used it once so far. Very moisturizing, but my hair just soaks it up so it's not heavy at all.

At this point, my routine is to either shampoo with a small amount of the moisturizing shampoo, or CO with the reconstructive conditioner. Then use the milk throughout, and use a citric acid rinse to partially rinse it out. Use the masque as a leave-in. So, so nice to have hair that feels good!

Length
    shld/hip/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I love to use the coconut hibiscus shampoo it is super moisturizing and smells like heaven the repair yellow one worked great for awhile and now it just sucks the thickening one I am not a fan or it did nothing for volume just tangled my hair like crazy

Type
    1b/1c/M/i/ii

Sometimes I use the organic raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo on my length after oiling (I can't use it on my scalp because it makes me shed a lot so I always use a SLS shampoo on my scalp). I don't need conditioner after I use it. It's stil pretty expensive here though (I've only seen it at Target). I also use a bar of soap by them (IDK which one specifically) its also expensive but it lasts a looong time. And yes they do smell amazing.
    We are stardust; billion year old carbon
    We are golden. Caught in the Devil's bargain
    And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

The products are all $10, which is more than products like Suave or VO5, but really very cheap in comparison to brands like Curl Junkie. They're a little less expensive than Kinky Curly. I'm pretty happy that they don't cost $20 a bottle, really. They're often on sale online at Target or Walgreens.

Length
    WL/WL/HIP
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

Lol!!! I was gonna talk about this in the 3 hair club thread!

I used the Deep Treatment Masque (this is like my 3rd time buying it). I was planning on doing a whole 30 minute deep conditioning with it....buuuuut it started to storm and the lightning was bad...so i was only able to let it sit for about 2-3 minutes

However...it did work pretty well and my hair still smells like it....which is mainly why i keep buying it When i first bought it, i wasn't so thrilled. I like it as a leave in as well.
    Lady Napaiai of the Secret Vale in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I haven't tried the Masque as a deep treatment--I do SMT for that, and just use whatever failed conditioner I have that I need to use up (way too many of those, lol). It works great as a leave-in and also as a styler if I mix it with a little gel.

Length
    2"/22.5"/30+
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Thanks for starting this thread! I made a special trip to target yesterday to check out these products. Their indications are a bit confusing. I was trying to decide among the milk, the smoothie, and the souffle -- But I ended up not buying anything because I couldn't tell what was best for my hair. Also I'm satisfied (not thrilled, but satisfied) with what I have now so I ultimately wasn't dying to spend money on new stuff. It will be interesting to read what all the different hair types are using to inform my next purchases.