Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Is there anyway to keep my platinum blonde hair without killing it with bleach?

Default Help! Is there anyway to keep my platinum blonde hair without killing it with bleach?

Hello everyone!

As you can see from the title I currently have bleach blonde hair and after joining LHC I refuse to let bleach anywhere near my hair anymore but absolutely love the colour, is there anyway to lighten my hair without causing so much damage?? My natural colour is more of like a dark blonde..

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Help! Is there anyway to keep my platinum blonde hair without killing it with ble

Yes, you can use hair dye. The lightest colours contain more peroxide in the developer than the darker ones but it's not as damaging as bleach.

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Help! Is there anyway to keep my platinum blonde hair without killing it with ble

^ Well, to be honest, I wouldn't say a lightening permanent dye is much gentler to hair than bleach... And while it may be a little, it does have PPD, which bleach doesn't! So in a way it's a matter of balancing hair health against body health...

But whichever you use, there is a wonderful way to protect hair from peroxide damage - coconut oil! You just soak your hair & scalp in it before dye/bleach (1 hr - 30 mins before). I've managed to avoid almost any damage that way!

Ohhh I love coconut oil! I never knew you could use it along side bleach! I did think about using normal hair dye but I've done it before and it went yellow rather than the ice White colour it usually goes. Definitely going to give the coconut oil a try next time my roots need doing!

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I second coconut oil, I have bleach highlights and since I started using coconut oil pre-bleach I've not had any further damage
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

As one who has had platinum hair several times I can assure you: there's no way you can get platinum hair without bleach. There just isn't, not even the lightest dye will get platinum, sadly!

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Length
    12/30/35
    Type
    2a/M/i/ii

What length are you at and what length are you trying to achieve? I have had dirty blonde to platinum blonde hair. If you stay within 2 shades of your natural colour and give you hair lots of TLC (I second, coconut oil, it's wonderful as a pre-treat), then there should not be any significant damage. Highlighting is a great option as only small sections are done, and can achieve a natural and overall very blonde look without exposing all your hair to bleach. You are already dark blonde so highlighting is a good option.

However, stay within 2 shades if you're hoping to achieve really long hair. There is a reason wonderful blondes like marilyn monroe and agyness deyn do not exceed APL.

Lastly, find a colourist you trust. If you go to touch-up your roots, a good stylist will take their time to avoid going over previously dyed sections and target the roots, only the roots. The ombre look is also exceedingly pretty on dark blondes and requires fewer touch-up, only every 4 months instead of every 2.

Hope that helps!
    :: Chin : Shoulder : APL : BSL+ : Waist ::

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I second the oil and highlights. I get highlights (roots) done every 4-6 weeks, using 30vol, sometimes 40vol depending on what my hairdresser has. She bleaches it to a platinum stage and applies no toner. I hate toner, it causes the hair to go brassy as the toner fades out. I don't use oil any longer. My hairdresser brushes conditioner on the length, then applies the bleach to the roots. I generally have around 50 foils. I only have the top of my head highlighted, leaving the underneath panel my natural dark.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

My hair is just sitting on my shoulders at the moment, hoping to get to around my bra strap length. I usually just get foils done rather than a full head of bleach like I used too but was still worried about damaging what I've spent so much time trying to fix already, definitely going to try the oil thing though! Thanks for all the advice so far girls!

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Justgreen is a perfect example of how long hairs can have highlighted long hair, follow her example and advice and you won't go wrong.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip