Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Are you as meticulous with your skin care as you are with your hair?

Length
    Buzz/Bob/MBL
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Are you as meticulous with your skin care as you are with your hair?

I'm definitely more into skincare than haircare, but I try to have a very relaxed and low-maintenance approach to both. I was a sun worshipper for most of my life, despite being a fitzpatrick 2 and living in southern California, and ended up with premature aging. My parents thought that sunscreen was bad for you, despite being of Swedish/English and Irish/Scottish descent, and taught me that sun exposure would prevent skin cancer. For real. I believed it, and then my dad started getting skin cancer. And then I started getting a sagging neck, fine lines, wrinkles, yellowing skin at 28 years old. As vain as it is, I was really depressed about my looks. So I did a lot of research on skincare and reversing sun damage, and now use tretinoin, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, lots of moisturizer, LOTS of sunscreen, and exfoliating acids. Thankfully it only consumes about 5 minutes of my day total, and my skin has improved a lot in the last couple years, and people started saying I look younger than I am. I'm blown away by the changes, it's been well worth the effort!
    Buzz - Pixie - Bob - SL - APL - MBL

Length
    26/Knee+/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Are you as meticulous with your skin care as you are with your hair?

My first thought was No Way! But then I realized with my current benign neglect, then...yep, my routines more or less match, though I’m even less involved with my skin than hair. Skincare is mostly taking care of problem zones (picky scalp, hands prone to peeling). I don’t have a care routine beyond that. Nails are soooo bad...my fingers don’t hurt right now from picking/biting, so that’s better than average.

Length
    22/25/45
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    Hmm well I probably do more for my skin than I do my hair because Iím not using hair products lol. But even with skin I donít buy brands (except sunscreen and a natural deodorant), and I donít wear make up. I use natural oils and butters for cleansing (OCM) and moisturising, also use a body brush to exfoliate before bathing. Nails are short and polish-free for work (physio).
    i love making my own skincare products/using oils on my skin to cleanse and moisturise. i have a body brush but I don't use it regularly! i need to get back into it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackgothicdoll View Post
    I have very easy going face skin. Drug store face wash works great, and then pretty much any standard cocoa butter lotion. Occasionally deep clean with astringent. That's basically it. If I had a more difficult facial routine I would likely pay less attention to my hair, as my face skin is more important to me.

The rest of my skin likes a salex cloth for washing followed by lotions with mineral oil and or shea butter. I'm actually allergic to fancy things with perfumes, so I can't use scented lotions.

Yes, I wish my hair were this simple. The worst thing that has ever happened to my skin is me being at a hotel and not having any Dove soap or cocoa butter lotion.
    i see what you mean! skincare is my original obsession so hair is an addition to me, especially in lockdown i find doing both so enjoyable. haha I remember I went to a hotel room and forgot my makeup remover, had to try and get it off with hand soap

Quote Originally Posted by Begemot View Post
    Pretty much, yeah. Sometimes I focus (obsess, potato-potato) a bit more in skin or hair but still keep a steady routine for both. I'm not very interested in nails though, probably because my nails are not pretty lol. They are pretty strong and can grow long but they have ugly shapes and long nails feel a little impractical to me. I prefer to keep them short and wear no polish or just clear base and/or natural polish. I mostly care about tidying my cuticles.
    ooo i feel wrong when my nails are short! steady routine for both is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    As someone who is very prone to acne, I definitely work harder at my skincare. For me skincare is something I have to do, but haircare is something I do for fun. No one will notice if I didn't oil my hair before putting it up in a bun, but they will notice a big collection of pimples of my face.
    i see what you mean! totally the same. if I leave my hair it's pretty happy but if I leave my face alone it goes crazy

Quote Originally Posted by JasminxCat View Post
    I pay more attention to my hair than skin. I don't have any special routine for my face and couldn't care less about my nails. But I do take care of my extra dry, sensitive skin on the rest of my body so I soak up in body lotions, oils & special creams everyday. Not that I like to do it, but have to for the sake of my eczema
    similar but my eczema is on my face and hands so that's where my focus is!

Quote Originally Posted by illicitlizard View Post
    Well, past me just needed to chill.
    Now I cleanse with the same ultra gentle drugstore cleanser, exfoliate with a face washer, moisturise daily with cheap moisturizer and wear sunscreen. I'm not super fussy about skincare now I've found something simple that works.

I'm also way more patient and chill about my hair (and nails) now
    haha! oh I know what you mean I think patient is the most important thing with hair/nails. skincare works a bit quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyStardust View Post
    I'm definitely more into skincare than haircare, but I try to have a very relaxed and low-maintenance approach to both. I was a sun worshipper for most of my life, despite being a fitzpatrick 2 and living in southern California, and ended up with premature aging. My parents thought that sunscreen was bad for you, despite being of Swedish/English and Irish/Scottish descent, and taught me that sun exposure would prevent skin cancer. For real. I believed it, and then my dad started getting skin cancer. And then I started getting a sagging neck, fine lines, wrinkles, yellowing skin at 28 years old. As vain as it is, I was really depressed about my looks. So I did a lot of research on skincare and reversing sun damage, and now use tretinoin, hyaluronic acid, niacinamide, vitamin C, lots of moisturizer, LOTS of sunscreen, and exfoliating acids. Thankfully it only consumes about 5 minutes of my day total, and my skin has improved a lot in the last couple years, and people started saying I look younger than I am. I'm blown away by the changes, it's been well worth the effort!
    oh god this made me cringe! I am a religious user of spf and anti-aging products. any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    My first thought was No Way! But then I realized with my current benign neglect, then...yep, my routines more or less match, though Iím even less involved with my skin than hair. Skincare is mostly taking care of problem zones (picky scalp, hands prone to peeling). I donít have a care routine beyond that. Nails are soooo bad...my fingers donít hurt right now from picking/biting, so thatís better than average.
    hahaha that made me lol! i think skincare involves so much more than haircare so it definitely takes more effort.
    CL ~ SL ~ APL ~ BSL ~ MBL ~ WL ~ HL ~ TBL ~ Classic

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm into both, about equally as much. Very picky with skincare, even though it's all very very affordable (Lidl or Aldi brand) and then my Nivea blue tin, and dark blue bottle moisturizer for the body.

I also have the Tena no rinse "wash" for my legs (very sensitive). It's very nice. I wonder if that's not great for eczema, since it is a no rinse wash/lotion at the same time.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    chin/SL/HL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I am very meticulous with both my skincare and haircare. I am seeing so much improvement in my skin quality since I started using the right products! And from this forum I gained a lot of knowledge on how to take care of my hair - I still have some things to ”fix”, but all in all, everything feels and looks better now .
    No trimming
    1 2 3 4 5 6

Length
    APL/BSL/Clsc?

Nivea cream is heavenly
    I take OK enough care of my skin. Ever since using a vitamin C toner, I’ve found my complexion has incredibly improved. I also more recently started using moisturizer with SPF. I try to go as organic as feasible. Just my preference.

Length
    pixie/APL/???
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

My skincare's gotten much better now that I've learned more about my hair, because my scalp and my skin are the same (and my actual hair is pretty tough and doesn't really need pampering). Also because both of my routines are basically neglect, hah. My skin doesn't cope with being washed; if I wash my face regularly I get the terrible skin that washing and moisturizing is supposed to prevent, and if I don't stretch my hair washes I get flaky itchy scalp. The only thing I've ever found that's gentle enough for cleansing my face is micellar water, and even that doesn't make for great skin. My skin wants to be oiled and scrubbed at a bit with my fingers to exfoliate the dead skin cells off. I generally use coconut oil but it wasn't cutting it for the winter, but I just found a body butter with mango butter, cocoa butter, and various oils, and it's perfect! I know everyone else is probably crying at the thought of putting a body butter on your face, but it's what works for me so it must not be wrong.

There is no hope for my nails. They're probably actually really amazing, if I could stop biting them long enough for them to grow, but. They're a casualty of my autism and I haven't managed to redirect it yet.

"A green glass-tipped hairpin dropped onto her shoulder and then the floor. Drat. She had never been good at putting up her own hair." Provenance, Ann Leckie

Length
    ?/MBL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I think I can remember when nivea did in fact come in a little blue metal tin, maybe early 80s? Really wish theyíd do that again, everything is in plastic, which saddens me. In fact haircare in general is a LOT of plastic - just look at the Use My Stash Up thread Yes, I know it can be recycled but it would be nice if companies stopped putting it in plastic to start with? The oils and butters I use for skin care are in glass bottles / jars which I transfer to a recycled deodorant tin or aluminium bottle, when I make my own.
    NWSO since November 2020. Previously water only. Crossed to the dark side and now rocking sebum only. Feral hair nirvana loading...

Length
    13/31/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    I think I can remember when nivea did in fact come in a little blue metal tin, maybe early 80s? Really wish they’d do that again, everything is in plastic, which saddens me. In fact haircare in general is a LOT of plastic - just look at the Use My Stash Up thread Yes, I know it can be recycled but it would be nice if companies stopped putting it in plastic to start with? The oils and butters I use for skin care are in glass bottles / jars which I transfer to a recycled deodorant tin or aluminium bottle, when I make my own.
    Nivea creme still come in metal tins here. Haircare can be plastic free if you really want to. I only use shampoo bars, and sometimes an acidic rinse, no conditioner.

For the original question: no I'm not meticulous with either skin care or hair care. I wash my body with soap bar and water. Only use face wash and creams sometimes because people keep giving them to me as gift. My face feels fine if I don't use those products. It's soft and dewy if i just leave it alone.

Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Removed.....
    Last edited by JasminxCat; January 18th, 2021 at 04:08 AM.