Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intresting hairstick styles?

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Default Intresting hairstick styles?

I just ordered my FIRST hairstick this week and should be getting it come this weekend, for now, I have a chopstick to practice with and have learned, I fail at most styles for hairsticks. I can do a french twist, I can do a cinnabun, but other than that, I just can't get any other styles right. My hair is about an inch or so away from BSL and is wurly (and kinda coarse and grippy) so styles SHOULD stay, but, I just don't have the length with the thickness I have. I just tried a lazy wrap bun which should work, but it was a tight lump not at all resembling the bun...its very frusterating. How else can I use my new hairstick when it comes besides updos that are impossible for me right now? Or if you know any tricks for updos at this length, please share. sorry for the long post, I am just a bit (alot) agravated at my hair right now.

and now i just broke the chopstick...crap
    Last edited by Hollyfire3; June 27th, 2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    16.5/tb-38/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Intresting hairstick styles?

Congrats on the first hairstick I don't have much advice about the styles that would work best at your length, I'm afraid, but I'm thinking that you could use some pins to help hold the bun, instead of just one hairstick? The hairstick could either be additional support or just decorative depending on the style and how many pins you'd need, etc.

I broke my first hairstick (an acrylic ketylo) because I was putting way too much pressure on it. If you feel like you are really having to lever it around or apply a lot of force to get it thru your hair, that's too much pressure...you shouldn't have to put a lot of pressure on the hairstick itself to get it to hold an updo, it's more about technique, which takes a bit of practice (and it may be that certain styles require longer hair than you have right now). Good luck

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Yoga View Post
    Congrats on the first hairstick I don't have much advice about the styles that would work best at your length, I'm afraid, but I'm thinking that you could use some pins to help hold the bun, instead of just one hairstick? The hairstick could either be additional support or just decorative depending on the style and how many pins you'd need, etc.

I broke my first hairstick (an acrylic ketylo) because I was putting way too much pressure on it. If you feel like you are really having to lever it around or apply a lot of force to get it thru your hair, that's too much pressure...you shouldn't have to put a lot of pressure on the hairstick itself to get it to hold an updo, it's more about technique, which takes a bit of practice (and it may be that certain styles require longer hair than you have right now). Good luck
    Oh thank you! I just bought some bobby pins for pin curls, so I have plently of pins! I think I just need to except that my hair is too short (nearly BSL, short, the hairdresser thinks I'm crazy!lol) for alot of buns and be greatful for the thickness I do have, length will come with time right? Maybe can see if I like just a simple cinnabun (sigh). The chopstick I just broke snapped near the end while i was trying a LWB in a half up style, too much preasure I assume, but a pencil broke while I was trying to do a LWB with all of my hair, too much hair and not enough length in that case I think. Maybe I can use the stick to adorn a braid?

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

i only just learned how to do a lazy wrap bun today, for many on here it's one of the first but I just couldn't work it out for so long! My advice would be too keep trying as it could be technique as well as length/thickness letting you down. Try watching you-tube videos where you can watch instead of tep by step tutorials in words/pictures.

I have very fine, thin hair compared to you so i don't really know what to suggest apart from what I found easy at the start, I think my first stick bun was a gibraltar
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by afu View Post
    i only just learned how to do a lazy wrap bun today, for many on here it's one of the first but I just couldn't work it out for so long! My advice would be too keep trying as it could be technique as well as length/thickness letting you down. Try watching you-tube videos where you can watch instead of tep by step tutorials in words/pictures.

I have very fine, thin hair compared to you so i don't really know what to suggest apart from what I found easy at the start, I think my first stick bun was a gibraltar
    I WISH my hair was just a bit thinner so buns would work...its not even all that crazy thick to begin with! I have been watching youtube videos and can make the bun as a half up, but still push too hard on the stick (hence why the chopstick broke) so while a full LWB is out of the question for now, maybe a half up is doable if I keep trying? A gibraltar, I'm jelous you can do that.

Type
    2a/M/ii

I have a couple hair sticks, I'd like to learn some styles with them too.

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

What are your hair stats? This will help decide which styles you're able to do.

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think I remember some of the thicker haired girls talking about spliting the hair in 1/2 and wraping one half one way and the other, the other way so as to take pressure off the hair and the stick? sort of like two mini buns. Maybe something like that would help?
    ~::BSL:: ::WL:: ::HIP:: ::BCL:: ::*TBL*:: ::CL::~
    Lady Cugedhiel, who walks in the path of the ouemessourita, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

hmm, I might try this. I just worry it would look funny.

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

You could try the French antenna braid, practically no pressure on the stick. If your hair's a little too short just start the plait lower
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy