Thread: Virgin Hair and Temporary Dye

Length
    ~12"/28"/38"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Virgin Hair and Temporary Dye

Greetings All!

My current hair has never been dyed in any way. In the past, I've only had a few professional highlights and a brief but intense affair with Manic Panic.

My question: If I use some type of temporary/semi-permanent dye, or even something natural like Cassia, would my hair no longer be considered virgin? And can the temp dyes cause any sort of damage? My hair is still recovering from some heat damage, but it's otherwise pretty sturdy for fine, blondette strands.

In case it's important, I just wanted to give the hair a little "boost" of blonde to pick up my highlights, or else play around with some fun red shades.

As always, your advice and input is greatly appreciated!

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/i

Default Re: Virgin Hair and Temporary Dye

I guess if you're adjusting the color in any way, it's not virgin :P
    I hope this is an acceptable analogy, but with types of olive oil for example, non-virgin or just regular olive oil is chemically treated to get to its state, whereas virgin olive oil is generally untreated and left in its natural state.
    Even after the temporary dye, even the faintest residue will remain. If you're keen on trying new things though, don't be afraid of the virgin hair title (my 2cents :P)
    Last edited by ariesfairies; June 18th, 2012 at 08:11 PM.

Aiming for Tailbone by the time I graduate university 2016

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I love Manic Panic. My favorite color is Vampire Red. It does not cause damage.

Pixie::Shoulder::APL

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I think it will still be virgin.

Virgin hair, I thought, comes from the idea that conventional dyes damage hair (lifting the cuticle to remove pigment) and perms and the like totally restructure hair which changes the way that hair interacts with further chemical processes or conditioning treatments. Perhaps even severe heat damage can fall under this category

I can't imagine a deposit-only dye fulfilling those characteristics, so I think hair dyed with manic panic for example would still be virgin.

Length
    chin/SL/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

No idea about the virginity, but beware that while most temporary dyes will not cause damage, they can cause increased shedding. I shed like mad for months whenever I dye my hair. It depends on your scalp and the dye in question.

Length
    27,5/38/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

If a person with virgin hair experience lightning because of honey (say someone forgot to heat it before and did a long smt-treatment) Is it still considered virgin?
    TBL->Classic
    Goal length: Below Classic

Length
    chin/MBL/waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by l'inconnue View Post
    In case it's important, I just wanted to give the hair a little "boost" of blonde to pick up my highlights, or else play around with some fun red shades.
    Just though I'd mention if your planning to lighten (go more blonde) it will not be temporary it will be permanent, in which case it won't be virgin anymore. I think it's probably still virgin if you use something that washes totally out so you can't know you'd ever done anything to it, although don't let a label determine what you do with your hair, do what you want!

Lady Egleriel, Wanderer of Hallowed Halls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ~12"/28"/38"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Thanks for all the advice! Those jars of Manic Panic are starting to look tempting again. . .
    Lady Daysie of the Lowlands, Smyter of the Splytte Ends
    In the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    18"/hip/class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Id say if your just using cassia which washes out after a few washes it would still be considered virgin IMHO
    an 8 year journey, with a 3 year stop at waist. Traveling along to classic. F/M 2a/b iii 31.5" January 2013http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ge=7&p=2371372 a year without trims ....trying!