Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will wearing my hair up more often protect it from damage?

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Default Will wearing my hair up more often protect it from damage?

I know many of you on this forum almost never wear your hair down. Is there a practical purpose to this? If I wear my hair up more often will my hair be more protected from snagging, tugging, and the elements a little bit more?
    I wear my hair down almost all of the time because I'm usually too lazy to put it up.

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Will wearing my hair up more often protect it from damage?

It does for me, yes. You have to be careful to not use repetitive styles that'll strain the same part of the hair every time, and use hair-safe tools to put it up, but once you've got that sorted it really helps protect it from wear and tear, stops it from tangling (which means less detangling damage), and I've noticed my hair doesn't dry out as much either. You might find this article interesting, it really makes you think about what your hair goes through every day with bag straps, windy days, zips, etc.

Funny you mention down is the lazy option for you; up is my lazy option since I don't have to spend time detangling later. I do wear it down sometimes though, but it's more of something special for me, like wearing a skirt instead of jeans.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Wearing mine up more has helped protect my ends (as well as the rest) from damage.

When it was down it was always getting caught on purse straps, rubbed on chair backs and just generally pulled on or blown around. I found it really started growing much better when I started putting it up and tucking my ends away.

My updos are nothing like the pretty ones I see here...Mine is just a clip holding my hair up, nothing fancy.... but it works and it keeps my hair protected. So even if you don't know the cute updos yet, just clipping it up helps.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    Funny you mention down is the lazy option for you; up is my lazy option since I don't have to spend time detangling later. I do wear it down sometimes though, but it's more of something special for me, like wearing a skirt instead of jeans.
    Pepperminttea, I love your "lazy option" take on wearing your hair up! Truer words were never written!

Length
    waist/TB/long

Oh yes! Your hair will absolutely be more protected if you wear it up often. Think about it; every hair is free to be blown about and tangled all day long when it is down. While up, put up gently of course, the hair is MUCH less exposed to wind, sun, seatbelts, chair backs, food, etc., etc. Wearing it up is a win-win situation. It's wonderfully protected, and simply beautiful once you learn a couple of easy ways to put it up. My favorite is the flipped bun. It's easy peasy, and is very pretty. The nape of your neck will have that lovely twist that you achieve with a French twist, but the flipped bun holds better and is much easier to do.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Absolutely. My hair would be destroyed if I wore it down outside because of the wind here. In fact, wearing it down is probably why It never grew longer than BSL before--too much damage. That doesn't mean never wearing your hair down;nyou just have to be judicious. BTW, once you have some hair styles down, it doesn't take long to put your hair up. My usual buns literally only take 10 seconds, and even braiding doesn't take more than a few minutes or so.

Length
    10/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1b/M/ii

YES I believe this is most important if you are growing out damage. If your hair is healthy, I believe there is no harm in wearing it down more often but not all the time. I successfully grew out most of my damage by wearing my hair up all the time. When it was down, I was too tempted to obsess over it...

Put it up and forget it is what I do everyday. Plus, you can treat your hair all day with oils if it is up in a bun.

Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by pepperminttea View Post
    It does for me, yes. You have to be careful to not use repetitive styles that'll strain the same part of the hair every time, and use hair-safe tools to put it up, but once you've got that sorted it really helps protect it from wear and tear, stops it from tangling (which means less detangling damage), and I've noticed my hair doesn't dry out as much either. You might find this article interesting, it really makes you think about what your hair goes through every day with bag straps, windy days, zips, etc.

I second this, minus the skirt metaphor. I wear skirts all the time :P
    When you think about it, putting hair up does not take much time, and you can create many interesting things on your head that are better ornaments than a bag or jewellery
    And yes, it does protect the hair, at least in my case it works. After 836 days I can tell the difference

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Absolutely it will protect the ends of your hair more, and the rest of your hair as well. It know it seems easier to keep it down sometimes, but with some practice a few styles can readily become second nature to you and putting your hair up can take less than 60 seconds. Are there any styles you've tried that you like, or are you looking for ways to put your hair up that is easy and non-time consuming? Wearing hair up, for me, has allowed me to grow my hair without the worry of split ends and accumulated damage that would need to be cut out later, thus diminishing my overall growth. Plus, I find it makes the process of growing one's hair much easier, out of sight, out of mind!
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

is a daily washer :D nobeltonya's Avatar
    Length
    10"/36.5"/48"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Rufflebutt View Post
    I know many of you on this forum almost never wear your hair down. Is there a practical purpose to this? If I wear my hair up more often will my hair be more protected from snagging, tugging, and the elements a little bit more?
    I wear my hair down almost all of the time because I'm usually too lazy to put it up.
    That's the general idea.. of course, I still prefer to wear mine down when I go out as much as I can.. barring wind or extreme cold.. I've gotten relatively used to watching for it so I don't get it caught in stuff.. plus, I don't like to leave it up for too long at a time, or it pulls on my scalp.. and I wash every morning, so whatever style I put it up in has to come down at some point to dry anyway.

I have been considering cutting up to waist lately :O It is currently just above TB, b/c I keep trimming it...
    2a/b / M/C / ii. Low porosity.