Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you measure your hair?

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Question How do you measure your hair?

I always go by the length of my dry, untouched hair, but I've noticed that some people, actually A LOT, measure their hair stretched out. Is there a correct way? it doesn't make sense to me to measure it stretched because I'm not going to be walking around stretching my hair all the time
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

Length
    24/35/???
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: How do you measure your hair?

But by measuring your hair you want to know how much it has grown. And you want a value that isn't influenced by humidity and the condition of your hair. Even if it doesn't describe the REAL length of your hair.

Type
    3a/M/ii

I stretch mine, because my waves/curls aren't the same two days in a row, and if I want accuracy, then I want it straight. It's to measure growth, not the actual length of your hair, and that seems the most logical way to me.
    You cannot prevent the birds of sadness from passing over your head, but you can prevent their making a nest in your hair.

Length
    ~21/31/HL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I also measure with it pulled straight, as since I'm 2a/b my hair is very easily manipulated, just combing will stretch out the wave so much and I do wear it like that sometimes if it's down so I like to get an accurate measure of the actual length of my hair, not just how it appears
    | CBL | SL | BSL | MBL | WL+ | HL |

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee?
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I also measure unstretched, but that's because I'm not tracking my growth so much as checking to see what I should put as my current length on LHC. I wouldn't say my hair is hip if it were only hip when wet, so I won't put down a number if my hair isn't there in its natural state. That being said, when people want to measure for monthly growth, it makes a lot more sense to do it stretched since that's more consistent, especially for curly/wavy haired people.
    47.5" of hair (10/4/20)
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    HL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/iii

I don't think it is ever going to be perfectly consistent across the board. To me, it seems like the most important thing is that however you choose to measure, you do it the same way each time. So if one person stretches, another measures wet, and another measures dry without stretching... that is less important than each person doing it the same way each time she does it.

Length
    BSL/WL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/i

I believe you either measure by exact numerical value, or you measure by description ie waist length, tailbone etc.
    So if going by the stretched out/uncurled value doesn't suit you, just grow by name point! Some of us like to go by number because thats how our brains keep focused on the goal :P

Aiming for Tailbone by the time I graduate university 2016

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I pull mine straight to measure my perm I'm growing out curls more some days then others I also take natural pictures of it non stretched.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    38"/52''/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I suppose for accuracy it is better stretched out, but I have 2c hair and even if it stretches out to classic when pulled, I would never label my length as classic because it's not at classic when dry and untouched.
    And like auburntressed said, as long as you measure the same way each time, you can still see the progress.
    "Mira que si te quise, fué por el pelo. Ahora que estás pelona, ya no te quiero." - Frida Kahlo

The proper way that Guinness and George Michael, long hair enthusiast suggests (by the way, Mr. G.M. is now deceased...) is to measure hair dry. Place the beginning of the tape measure at the front of the hairline, draw the tape measure over the head and down the back length all the way to the end. If you're curly, stretch it out, and that is your measurement. It's best to do this with the help of another person.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC