Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thin ends - help!

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Thin ends - help!

I need some advice for my ends. I had a haircut only 3 months ago, and it looked perfectly healthy after the cut. You can see the pictures in my album. But now, 3 months later, I have at least 5 cm of thin ends. They are not dry or anything, just thin.

Why does this keep happening? In the past, I often had tho have a lot cut off when I was at the hairdresser, and my hair will never be long again if I keep cutting off more hair than I grow.

What can I do to prevent this? I am very gentle with my hair. I use a shampoo and conditioner with no cones, low sulfates and avocado oil. I don't use heat, except when at the hairdresser. I use a wide tooth comb (the right way), and only brush it once in a while, very carefully.

Last time my ends looked decent, I only had 1 or 1.5 cm cut off. I used cones, and it was only two and a half month after my last haircut. Could it be, that my hair just prefers cones?

Sorry for the long post, but I really need some help. I really hope someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    shldr/tbl/long
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Thin ends - help!

Do you have shedding?

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gazelle View Post
    Do you have shedding?
    I do shed a lot, but I always have. It is not a medical condition.

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Have you looked to see if the shorter ends are broken, or new?

If they are broken your hair could be missing something thats making it brittle. If they are new it could be that you are simply shedding out all the longer hairs and you just need to wait it out.

Not much help as it is, but have a look, then people might be able to suggest more specific things to help

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    10/LTL/ankle
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Are they hairs that are growing faster than the others? I get that in certain areas.
    1c/~C~iii

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Bagginslover View Post
    Have you looked to see if the shorter ends are broken, or new?

If they are broken your hair could be missing something thats making it brittle. If they are new it could be that you are simply shedding out all the longer hairs and you just need to wait it out.

Not much help as it is, but have a look, then people might be able to suggest more specific things to help
    They look healthy enough, that is why it is so wired. I have no split ends, and they are not dry. Just thin. I would upload a picture, but LHC won't let me. I don't think it is hair growing faster than others, my hair grows painfully slow.

Length
    16.5/tb-38/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    They look healthy enough, that is why it is so wired. I have no split ends, and they are not dry. Just thin. I would upload a picture, but LHC won't let me. I don't think it is hair growing faster than others, my hair grows painfully slow.
    Hm. I know you said you don't think it's the case, but since it looks healthy, I wonder if it isn't just that the very bottom of your hemline is irregular due to slightly different growth rates? Have you tried keeping your hair with the "thin ends" for a few months to see if it evens out, or else see if the "rest" of your hair eventually grows out to where the thin ends were, even if the very ends are still thin? (If that makes sense)

Although it's frustrating, if you're growing your hair out, the longest part is always going to be the thinnest. Those are the oldest hairs on your head, that have been there the longest; the rest of your hairs are at different growth stages, and might be perfectly healthy and thriving, but just haven't reached the hemline yet. It takes additional time for the majority of your hairs to reach a particular length.

I used to be concerned that my hair was "thinning" compared to past years, because there was a lot of taper... but actually, I think it was just that I was growing my hair straight out without a lot of trims, whereas before I had maintained it at a long length for years, so more of my hairs got the chance to "catch up." I have noticed that the thickness is gradually moving down the length of my hair as I continue to grow it.

I doubt you're doing anything "wrong." I would just keep growing without trims (or with very minimal trims) and see what happens! And if you are self-conscious about the ends looking thin maybe try different hairstyles so that that doesn't show as much?

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DancingQueen View Post
    Do you measure? I think that might be your best indicator in this case as to what is happening.
    If you are getting 5 CM growth since your last cut, but the ends are thin, but healthy, then you just have some speedy hairs.
    If you are getting just 1 cm growth (as an example) but 5 cm of unevenness, then you have breakage too (unless you are losing thickness too, then its shedding).

I really hope you figure it out

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Some hairs grow faster than others on most heads. Regular small trims (example - 1/2 inch every 3-4 months) will hold the fastest growing hairs back enough to let slower-growing hairs catch up. You'll still gain length.

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Some hairs grow faster than others on most heads. Regular small trims (example - 1/2 inch every 3-4 months) will hold the fastest growing hairs back enough to let slower-growing hairs catch up. You'll still gain length.
    Yep. The same thing happened to me at the stage that OP is in, and thickness did grow down.