Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard water breakthrough!

Length
    27/42.5/46
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Hard water breakthrough!

I moved (temporarily) to London in January, and my hair and I have been battling the super hard water ever since. I have tried literally EVERYTHING--vinegar rinses, lemon rinses, catnip, moisture treatments, henna, cutting off 4 inches, clarifying more frequently, stretching washes, benign neglect, eliminating leave-ins so there's less "gunk"... Nothing seemed to be helping, and my hair was dull and tangly and just generally icky. Then, yesterday, I stumbled across the (old) Miracle Water thread http://www.longhaircommunity.com/arc...ad.php?t=51184. Basically, the idea is that citric acid chelates minerals in hard water so they don't build up on hair. I had been using diluted lemon juice as a final rinse for several months, but it did not seem to be helping as much as I would like, so why not try using VERY diluted lemon water for the whole hair washing process?
    So, I tried the following routine: Saturate hair with tap water mixed with lemon juice at a dilution of 1 drop juice per cup of water. Shampoo hair (I washed the length and ends as well because I needed a clarify, but otherwise I would just focus on the scalp). Rinse well with more of the dilute lemon juice mix. Saturate ends in catnip tea then pour over hair (I've been using catnip instead of conditioner to cut down on splits and avoid conditioner buildup). Do not rinse out catnip. Plain water directly from the shower did not touch my hair at all during this process.
    I waited for my hair to dry a bit without touching it, then I put in about 3 drops of baby oil as usual and damp bunned it.
    I took it down earlier to see how it was doing and OMG! It is soft and silky and SO SHINY for the first time in WEEKS. The ends are a little dry because of the clarifying, but otherwise it looks and feels better than it has ALL YEAR. Now, I'm sure the clarifying really helped, but I've been clarifying regularly and it hasn't made much of a difference. So, it must be the inspired-by-miracle-water that did the trick!
    So, if anyone has been having problems with hard water, I suggest trying this! It may have saved my hair.
    27 28 29(WST) 32 (HIP) 36 (TBL) 37 38 39 40 41 42 (CLSC) 43 44 45 46 47 48 (FTL) 49 50 51 52 53 54 (KNEE)

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Hard water breakthrough!

I'm so glad that you found a solution! My water is somewhat hard and I've suspected that I would have to do something like this.

Unfortunately, it seems so involved and I was really hoping for something easier than mixing up jugs of water and lemon juice to use to wash and rinse my hair. But I guess that's what makes the most sense, right?

Length
    sl/APL/wl+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

I'm glad you've found something that works. As a life-long London/SEasterner I find that my hair freaks out if I end up in a soft water area.
    Lady Cuilpantiel Of The Raven Tower in the Order of the Longhaired Knights.
    The Few, The Proud, The Vaguely Creepy

Length
    27/42.5/46
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    I'm so glad that you found a solution! My water is somewhat hard and I've suspected that I would have to do something like this.

Unfortunately, it seems so involved and I was really hoping for something easier than mixing up jugs of water and lemon juice to use to wash and rinse my hair. But I guess that's what makes the most sense, right?
    COing with frequent clarifying has been sort of the next best thing. It doesn't work as well as the complicated lemon thing, but it's less involved
    27 28 29(WST) 32 (HIP) 36 (TBL) 37 38 39 40 41 42 (CLSC) 43 44 45 46 47 48 (FTL) 49 50 51 52 53 54 (KNEE)

Length
    hip/hip/hurra
    Type
    1a/M/ii

If you can get your hands on ascorbic acid, it works even better, and it dechlorinates your water too (^(oo)~)
    I'm a little piggy! (^(oo)^)v

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gracenotes View Post
    COing with frequent clarifying has been sort of the next best thing. It doesn't work as well as the complicated lemon thing, but it's less involved
    Thanks for the recommendation but I already CWC (CO isn't my cup of tea) and frequent clarifying really takes a toll on my hair. I'm afraid I'm trapped by my own laziness

Length
    24/30/44in
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/iii

I like this technique and might try it. Ive completely switched from tap water to using rainwater or boiled (then cooled of course) tap water ONLY. I have never had better hair! I think years of using hard water really kills your hair. Before it would ALWAYS be dry, even if I didnt shampoo, always feel weak and have a slight chalky look to it. Now its alive again, shiny and healthy. RAINWATER IS AWESOME!!

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

yay!!! im so happy for you and for me my skin reacts violenty to hard water (my hair doesnt like it but hey hair doesnt bleed either) so i like to have multiple back up plans especially ssince i'll be moving to an even harder water area and wont be able to have a softener. a showerhead filter is a given for me but like i said multiple back up plans.

im sorry you had to go through so much to figure it out but now that you have you can get back to happy hair again!

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You are very smart to figure that out. I have been using only filtered, distilled or rain water for my final rinse for two months. My hair is much softer than before. We had the problem of a regional drought last year, so our tap water seems very mineralized this past year. My ends were getting crunchy. So I got desperate, trimmed, stopped regular shampoo and conditioner and started on my quest for better hair, which led me here. I think that refusing to use tap water has made a big difference. I have not tried the lemon juice very much, but after your success I think I will give it a try.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post

Just a final citric acid rinse may be enough, so I'd try that first. I've been using CA rinses for about two years now to combat my hard well water, and it's worked wonders. I use 1/4 tsp. in a gallon of water (the miracle water concentration), and use that for my final rinse. Oddly enough, I don't have great results using lemon juice, but straight CA is very effective (and easier).