Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Debating a big change

  1. #1
    Member uptosomeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    AZ desert
    Age
    25
    Posts
    409
    Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

    Default Debating a big change

    EDIT:
    I did it--got it all chopped off! I've got real before and afters coming, but for now here's this one.


    It feels so, so good.

    (original post from here on)

    I've been growing out my hair healthily since September 2011. Buns almost all the time, gentle combing, no heat, etc. and it's been much healthier.

    The problem is that I'm bored. My hair looks the same constantly! I'm used to switching up hairstyles, and while I can switch my part/curl/braid, it's not doing it for me anymore. So I've been debating getting it cut short.

    PROS
    -I'm going away for a year to a country that's quite cold. Beanies are not going to look good on the hair I have right now, but they will with a cut.
    -I've always wanted to try short hair out but I've never been brave enough.
    -I'd like to not have to worry about my ends for a while, especially when I'm overseas and focusing on school, and short hair would offer me more wiggle room as far as taking care of it goes since I'd be getting it cut more regularly.
    -as far as my style goes it would make me so much happier to have a change.

    CONS
    -short hair is a pain to grow out, and my hair grows at a very average pace.
    -if I don't like it I'm stuck with it.

    Obviously I'm going to use the two week rule here, but I just want some input. From those of you who have cut your hair short, how have you decided what cuts would suit your face? I have an excellent hairdresser so I'm not worried about not getting what I want, but I am worried about becoming bored again or not feeling like it flatters me.

    Here're a couple photos of me, for reference. Tell me if you can't see them:
    http://d1oi94rh653f1l.cloudfront.net...b_23022228.jpg
    http://d1oi94rh653f1l.cloudfront.net...6_24575435.jpg
    (They're from my personal photo diary, please excuse them!)

    And here's an example of what I want. Not exactly, I want it a bit longer on the sides for cheekbone framing and I don't want it to be buzzed in the back, but the general feel is shorter in the back, longer in the front.
    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...ap12o1_500.jpg

    This isn't a lot of your guys' cups of tea, I know, but this is the only place I can get serious advice that isn't biased!
    Last edited by uptosomeone; May 29th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    the shore of Lake Erie
    Age
    65
    Posts
    34,509
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    Some things to keep in mind are that short hair gets all scrunched and weird under most hats - hat hair - which can look really awful. The same thing will happen at night from rolling around on it. These things are fixable, however. It's just that if you wake up with wonky hair (all flat on one side, sticking up on the other side for example) and have no time to deal with it, you're stuck with it.

    But have fun; try it! My usual way of dealing with short hair was to wet it down every morning and comb it all straight back with a little gel or mousse. It would fall into place as it dried and look pretty cute most days. For hat hair, when I got to where I was going, I'd finger-comb it into place with wet hands, which usually made it somewhat acceptable most of the time.

  3. #3
    Member Dragon Faery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Crow Reservation, Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    987
    Length
    20APL/17/More!
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    It looks like it would look pretty cute on you. Logically, if you're thinking about going for it, now would probably be the best time, especially based on your pros/cons list. With the way you worded your post, it sounds like you're more inclined to do it than not. And if that's true, you should probably do it.

    Will that cut require a lot of maintenance? Will you have to style it every day to make it look right? If that's the case, just keep it in mind when making your decision.

    Either way, have fun and post pics!

  4. #4
    Member Nenyath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Aasiaat, Greenland
    Posts
    266
    Length
    SL/FT/KL
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    Being away for a year is quite an adventure, did it when I was a year younger than you and I did a lot of things I had never dreamed of, my hair became shorter (around earlobe) and eventually purple. And it was fun After I came home I only got trims, I wasn't growing it out seriously, I just couldn't afford a hairdresser a year later I felt like I had longish hair, two years later I considered it long (it must have been a bit longer than bra strap length..)

    You will set back your hair journey a bit, but you will have had quite an adventure! Your hair is fairly long, but I think you would reach it again before you realised it I know a girl with as short hair as the guy in your reference picture, and she rocks it! I don't think I would enjoy it, but I enjoy the way it look on her, it's fresh and it definitely goes well with a beanie! I think it would suit your face equally as well as long hair.

    I'd say give it two weeks and then just go for it if you want it! Having fun is always good! Where are you going, by the way?

  5. #5
    Member UpNorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    363
    Length
    27,5/38/43
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    If you want it, do it! Long hair requires patience, I´m that type of person who don´t like changes and can stick with same style for years, I may be wrong, but I think most long hairs are like me Short hair DOES look great on some. And I like that style you want, my cousin have a similar cut and she looks amazing in it.

    And, with short hair you can try all sorts of crazy things, like bleaching it platinum and green without being afraid of damage You are only 18, if you decide to let it grow in two years you will have long hair by 23-24 and for the rest of your life if you like.
    Last edited by UpNorth; May 15th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
    TBL->Classic
    Goal length: Below Classic

  6. #6
    I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    53
    Posts
    5,342
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    that's a big change!

    I just started growing out my pixie. I wore it for 15 years and liked it.

    my pros:
    1) hair care is a snap--cheap shampoo, comb it and it dries in 15 minutes
    2) no tangles--when I get my first tangle will be a huge milestone for me!
    3) no damaged ends--you're at the barber every 4 or 5 weeks getting the ends cut off!
    4) It's striking. Not many women have the nerve to go this short.
    5) You can color it all the time. (see #3)
    6) It's always up and out of the way--never in my eyes.

    My cons:
    1) One or 2 hairstyles are all I can get out of it.
    2) it sticks up every morning. Got to wet it down or it looks bizarre.
    3) Hats make it stick up

    I've never questioned whether or not it looks good on me. It's my hair, and I wear what I like. Of course, I want to look my best, but hair is just part of my appearance. If I fix myself up classy and behave like I have class, then I have class. (If you disagree, please just leave me in my denial)

    I think you'd look great in the cut you're considering, but PLEASE give it lots of thought--I'd give it at least a month. Growing out a pixie is very irritating, and it will take years to get back to where you are now.

  7. #7
    Member marykatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    229
    Length
    12/14/20
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    I have to say, cutting your hair short is very brave. I myself have never done it but that does not prevent me from telling you to go for it!
    For one thing, you can always grow it back. Now that you have been taking better care of your hair, you might find that it grows a little faster. And there is some fun in growing out hair right?
    On a negative note, I am not sure if the picture of the hair you want works with a hat. The front looks heavily styled and the hat is going to scrunch that up.

  8. #8
    Member schweedie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,624
    Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    If you've always wanted to try short hair, it sounds like this is a good time to do it! Being only eighteen, you have plenty of time to grow it long again if you decide that's what you want.

    The couple of times I've wanted new short styles I brought a picture to the hairdresser and asked them to honestly tell me if my hair could look like anything that, and if it would suit me. One time I got a yes and a hairstyle I absolutely loved. Another time they told me that no, my hair likely wouldn't look like the picture even if they cut it in a similar style, and I went for something else. Since you say you have an excellent hairdresser, I'd suggest you ask for input regarding the style you want, let him/her tell you what they think.

  9. #9
    Member uptosomeone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    AZ desert
    Age
    25
    Posts
    409
    Length
    18/bob/n/a
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Some things to keep in mind are that short hair gets all scrunched and weird under most hats - hat hair - which can look really awful. The same thing will happen at night from rolling around on it. These things are fixable, however. It's just that if you wake up with wonky hair (all flat on one side, sticking up on the other side for example) and have no time to deal with it, you're stuck with it.

    But have fun; try it! My usual way of dealing with short hair was to wet it down every morning and comb it all straight back with a little gel or mousse. It would fall into place as it dried and look pretty cute most days. For hat hair, when I got to where I was going, I'd finger-comb it into place with wet hands, which usually made it somewhat acceptable most of the time.
    Ooh, hat hair. Not a pretty thought. If I could fix it with water though I would be able to deal with it though. It certainly can't be as bad as what I've got going right now when I wear hats--it's literally an inverted mushroom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Faery View Post
    With the way you worded your post, it sounds like you're more inclined to do it than not. And if that's true, you should probably do it.

    Will that cut require a lot of maintenance? Will you have to style it every day to make it look right? If that's the case, just keep it in mind when making your decision.
    I am inclined to do it, but I'm a fairly rash person when it comes to stuff like this. Oftentimes it takes me a bit to get out of the frame of mind that wants to stand on the rooftop and scream to the world about how much I want something. Thus the two week rule and going over every detail of what could go wrong so I'm not so puppy-dog-eager

    The beauty of this cut, with how I know my hair reacts in the front, is that I could get similar results to the photo with styling, but it would look fine straight too as long as my layers are well-blended, especially if I didn't use conditioner.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nenyath View Post
    I'd say give it two weeks and then just go for it if you want it! Having fun is always good! Where are you going, by the way?
    It is an adventure! I'm looking forward to it. And I'm going to Finland. Their winters scare the pants off of me.

    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    Long hair requires patience, Im that type of person who dont like changes and can stick with same style for years, I may be wrong, but I think most long hairs are like me
    I think you're right. I don't think I'm truly a longhair at heart since I can't picture myself keeping long hair for more than a year before I went back to cutting and experimenting.

    Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    that's a big change!

    I just started growing out my pixie. I wore it for 15 years and liked it.

    my pros:
    1) hair care is a snap--cheap shampoo, comb it and it dries in 15 minutes
    2) no tangles--when I get my first tangle will be a huge milestone for me!
    3) no damaged ends--you're at the barber every 4 or 5 weeks getting the ends cut off!
    4) It's striking. Not many women have the nerve to go this short.
    5) You can color it all the time. (see #3)
    6) It's always up and out of the way--never in my eyes.

    My cons:
    1) One or 2 hairstyles are all I can get out of it.
    2) it sticks up every morning. Got to wet it down or it looks bizarre.
    3) Hats make it stick up

    I've never questioned whether or not it looks good on me. It's my hair, and I wear what I like. Of course, I want to look my best, but hair is just part of my appearance. If I fix myself up classy and behave like I have class, then I have class. (If you disagree, please just leave me in my denial)

    I think you'd look great in the cut you're considering, but PLEASE give it lots of thought--I'd give it at least a month. Growing out a pixie is very irritating, and it will take years to get back to where you are now.
    Isn't it!? It's a huge change, especially considering that I've never gone shorter than shoulder unless you count being about five and having a preschool haircut.

    Hahahaa, the bedhead is something I look forward to, believe it or not. I have a couple short-haired friends and their morning hair stories never cease to amuse me.

    I'm going to think on it a while. I still have a couple months before I go and I'd like to have at least a month to get used to it before I leave if I end up getting it, but I'm not going to rush into it, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by marykatz View Post
    I have to say, cutting your hair short is very brave. I myself have never done it but that does not prevent me from telling you to go for it!
    For one thing, you can always grow it back. Now that you have been taking better care of your hair, you might find that it grows a little faster. And there is some fun in growing out hair right?
    On a negative note, I am not sure if the picture of the hair you want works with a hat. The front looks heavily styled and the hat is going to scrunch that up.
    It is very, very heavily styled. I wouldn't be doing that on a regular basis--that much heat and product every day would bother me. It would be looking more like this on a normal day.

    http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4...zxqpo2_500.jpg

    Obviously not as thick since I simply don't have that much hair, but similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by schweedie View Post
    If you've always wanted to try short hair, it sounds like this is a good time to do it! Being only eighteen, you have plenty of time to grow it long again if you decide that's what you want.

    The couple of times I've wanted new short styles I brought a picture to the hairdresser and asked them to honestly tell me if my hair could look like anything that, and if it would suit me. One time I got a yes and a hairstyle I absolutely loved. Another time they told me that no, my hair likely wouldn't look like the picture even if they cut it in a similar style, and I went for something else. Since you say you have an excellent hairdresser, I'd suggest you ask for input regarding the style you want, let him/her tell you what they think.
    You have a point there. I'm not afraid to bring in some photos and show what I want to achieve, then asking about it. Thanks for reminding me about that.

  10. #10
    Member SnowWhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    chocolate factory
    Posts
    374
    Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

    Default Re: Debating a big change

    Do it! When I chopped off my hair it was the best decision I could make at the time... (Now I want it looooooooong).
    But you'll like it, it's fun and just different!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •