Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: styling question for curly girls

Length
    29 in/31.5/45 in
    Type
    2c/M/C/i/ii

Question styling question for curly girls

Hello.... so I have pretty curly hair and it's getting nice and long but i feel like it only looks good curly after I CO wash/rinse it in the morning. And even still, I feel like I'm constantly messing with my hair to get it to look good.

Sometimes I commit the cardinal sin of straightening because then I can leave it alone all week. All week! And it just looks better and better.

But when it's curly i feel like all I can do is enjoy it the first day and deal with it from then on. Which is sad because I feel like all the fussing with my hair damages it.

When I put it in braids [because my hair is curly] it takes the shape of the braid too much so when I take it out my hair looks down right weird.

What do you girls do to get pretty hair all week so you don't have to mess with it?

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Default Re: styling question for curly girls

I've gotten my CO wash process down to a point were I can do it everyday if I want. Sometimes I want - other times I can go a week without rewetting.
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    24/25/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

if your hair looks bad the next day and u have curly hair you need a trim badly- I started trimming my hair at the salon to help it grow better since I have bleach damage and now it curls right up and the next day I will brush it to get the nots out that accrued over night and then it curls up again! its awesome- I go every 8 weeks and its growing finally since it doesnt just keep breaking be'ause the damage
    Henna-CO-No cones-Jojaba Getting rid of bleach damage on the lower half-Feb Pic

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If it looks a little frizzy the second day, spritz it or re-wet it slightly, then put some conditioner or leave in into it. Should be fine then. Dealing with it curly is entirely different from dealing with straight hair, but you can learn to deal with it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    29 in/31.5/45 in
    Type
    2c/M/C/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by princesitamaria View Post
    if your hair looks bad the next day and u have curly hair you need a trim badly- I started trimming my hair at the salon to help it grow better since I have bleach damage and now it curls right up and the next day I will brush it to get the nots out that accrued over night and then it curls up again! its awesome- I go every 8 weeks and its growing finally since it doesnt just keep breaking be'ause the damage
    You think? I don't know, i just did a Search & Destroy.

It isn't like it's frizzy, it's just.... slept on and too curly. Because when it dries after being wet, the weight of it pulls it straighter, longer, more wavy. and then when I sleep it just... gets into the shape of an "s" and i just.... don't like it.

Length
    29 in/31.5/45 in
    Type
    2c/M/C/i/ii

I was thinking maybe I could style it in a way so that when I sleep I can wake up with it looking nice... like maybe a low pony and soft curlers? and that way i'll know what it will look like in the morning.

This site talks about protecting and refreshing the curls on non-wash days (look towards the bottom of the page):

http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Length
    28/28/38
    Type
    3a/3b/M/iii

When my curls start to look funny and I don't want to wash I slightly dampen my hair and sleep in a sock bun
    obviously it's not the same curl pattern as my natural hair but it still looks nice [in my opinion anyway lol]

Length
    29 in/31.5/45 in
    Type
    2c/M/C/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyxx View Post
    When my curls start to look funny and I don't want to wash I slightly dampen my hair and sleep in a sock bun
    obviously it's not the same curl pattern as my natural hair but it still looks nice [in my opinion anyway lol]
    i think my hair might be too long for a sock bun, but I like that idea.

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I find that the best way to keep my natural curl pattern over a few days is to french rope braid it at night, it gives spirals instead of S waves and doesn't spring up so much (my profile picture is from sleeping on a french rope braid done on dry hair). It might be worth a try. I was the same in the past, straightened hair behaved so much better for me! I think sometimes it has to be all or nothing, promise yourself you'll give up the heat and it will be less tempting to go for the quick fix. Also try to appreciate updos, before i joined LHC i always liked wearing my hair loose. Now if my hair is misbehaving i quite like it because it challenges me to practice nice updos always a positive out of a negative
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict