Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTG Questions

Length
    10?/19/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Default MTG Questions

Hi. I read on here about MTG as another overnight treatment besides Monistat. I looked at the product's website and it says it was originally made for humans. I went to Sally's today and asked if they had it (they carry the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioners) and the girl who worked there was horrified by the idea that I would put it on my scalp. She stressed it is only for horses with "rain rot". I told her the product site said it was originally for humans and that all info says it is safe for human use. She said she has 3 large horses and that product burns their skin and that it will burn my scalp. She told me where to get it, but she seemed genuinely concerned that it will burn me.

So, I went to the horse supply store and bought it...my questions are:
    1. Did any of you use this and have any bad side effects (I have searched the forum and didn't find any side effect info).
    2. For those who used this, did you use it straight, mix it with something else...etc?

Thank you for any input!

Length
    ?/48/term?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: MTG Questions

Never heard of it! My grandma used to buy me mane n tail all the time, I was thinking about going back to it soon I would say do the allergy test (small patch on inner arm) and go from there. In my experience the people at Sally's are not the best advice givers. The last time I was there I mentioned I was thinking about trying cassia, they had no clue what it was and when I said it was like henna they freaked out and said henna was the worst thing you could do to your hair! After looking at the henna thread I beg to differ!
    Maybe someone else has experience with MTG, and I would love to hear how it works out for you!

Length
    16.5/22/26
    Type
    3a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaberry View Post
    Hi. I read on here about MTG as another overnight treatment besides Monistat. I looked at the product's website and it says it was originally made for humans. I went to Sally's today and asked if they had it (they carry the Mane and Tail shampoo and conditioners) and the girl who worked there was horrified by the idea that I would put it on my scalp. She stressed it is only for horses with "rain rot". I told her the product site said it was originally for humans and that all info says it is safe for human use. She said she has 3 large horses and that product burns their skin and that it will burn my scalp. She told me where to get it, but she seemed genuinely concerned that it will burn me.

So, I went to the horse supply store and bought it...my questions are:
    1. Did any of you use this and have any bad side effects (I have searched the forum and didn't find any side effect info).
    2. For those who used this, did you use it straight, mix it with something else...etc?

Thank you for any input!
    I've used it many times about 3 months 1 month at a time. I mixed 1/2 M-T-G with 1/2 castor oil and added 2% (1% = 18 drops per oz of carrier oil the carrier is your 1/2 M-T-G 1/2 castor mix) of tea tree oil, lavender oil, chili oil (1%), peppermint oil, spearmint oil, and rosemary oil. Experiment a little, some may react more than others. When I first started using it I didn't dilute it, it never burnt my skin but it did become pretty irritated. As soon as I diluted it to 1/2 I haven't had a problem at all. Many many people have used it for human use, so far I have heard little to no side effects. The only side effects I have heard is a rare allergic reaction (but that can happen with anything) and mild/semi-bad irritation when used undiluted. Hope that helps. It yields me better growth than Monistat, the downside: only when used every night and because of the smell you will want to shampoo your hair everyday. I would twice to get it all out. So make sure your pre-condition and condition afterward to keep your hair moisturized well. It boils down to is it worth it to do to get 1 to 1 1/4 inch of growth in a month? Depends, you decide, for me it's worth it... but it just stinks oh how it stinks

Length
    10?/19/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I'm using it for the first time right now. The smell was unbearable when I bought it. I could smell it though the bottle and through the plastic bag it was tied in. I stored it in the garage b/c it filled my bathroom and bedroom with the smell while in a closed cabinet. I am thinking I maybe have a sensitive nose?

Anyway, I put it on undiluted b/c I couldn't find instructions by searching the forum. I will def try your way soon though. So far, no side effects. It tingled the tiniest bit when I first applied it. Well, not even really a "tingle" more like it was opening the pores on my scalp or something.

Have you figured a way to saturate the scalp without saturating the hair? Monistat gets in my hair too. I don't mind washing every day if it is to get oil out of my hair.

ETA: After asking DH if he'd mind terribly if I used a reeking scalp treatment, he decided he LIKES the smell. He said, "It just smells like smoke-what were you going on about?" I think it smells like that smell that gets stuck in my hair and clothes if I stand downwind of a charcoal burning BBQ grill.
    Last edited by carolinaberry; April 13th, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion. ~TOOL

Length
    Pixie/Ear/N/A
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

Hmm this is a very interesting thread, I have heard of Monistat treating your hair (and have even done it) but I have never heard of this MTG you speak of. I would love to follow your experiments and experiences! I hope this gives you an awesome growth rate! My only questions are - do you have to treat your hair with it every night or can you do it once a week or so? and do you have to leave it on for a specific time or do you use it like shampoo?

edit: I found this blog/article on topical growth aids. Maybe it could help?
    Last edited by PurplePenguin; April 13th, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: I found some new info
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not. - Dr. Seuss
    Lady Aoibheall, Protector of Penguins, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Chin-/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

Is there a chance that this can cause hair loss/thinning?
    Perspective pries your once weighty eyes and it gives you wings.

Length
    10?/19/35?
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by thirstylocks View Post
    Is there a chance that this can cause hair loss/thinning?
    I researched for days and read every testimonial of use online I could find. I guess if you have a reaction to anything it can make your hair fall out. But from what I read, it seems like people have less shedding/breakage from MTG than even with Monistat. I can say that every time I apply Monistat I shed a few hairs as I'm applying, and that didn't happen with my first application of MTG.
    We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion. ~TOOL

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

What does MTG stand for? Thanks

Length
    15/15/30
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I have been wanting to try this but my concern is the smell.

Length
    0.5/28.5/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I use this all the time it and have had no problems with it
    MGT stands for mane and tail groom it contains mineral oi,l glycerin, sulphur and cade oil
    the smell is strong but actually i quite like it now, it is caused by the cade oil which is a well know oil to use for scalp problems and hair loss.
    it does say on the bottle to use it only one a week if your leaving it on, I have used it twice in one week and had no problems from that but i wouldn't use it more often than than.
    as for the burning the lady you spoke to mentioned this is usally sunburn on horses due to the oil in the product there is a warning on the bottle not to use the product in strong sunlight.
    I hope this is helpful