Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New, and i've got a question!

Length
    buzz/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Question New, and i've got a question!

First I just want to say I am SO thankful that I found this forum! What an amazing place with so much useful information!

I have a few questions for anyone who cares to answer them. But first, you may need a little background info about myself and my hair history.

For the past 10 years I have been experimenting with many different colors and cuts. My hair has been everything from a rainbow colored pixie cut to black and a few inches past BSL (which is the longest my hair has ever been in my life)
    Needless to say, my hair is fried. There was one point in time where I grew out my natural color and chopped off all the nasty ends, but for reasons beyond explanation, I decided to start coloring it again.

Now, my question. My hair is currently about two inches past APL and is dyed an auburn red color which is pretty far from my natural color (an ashy brown) and is layered with my shortest layer being around chin length. Since I am planning to grow out my natural color and am going for hip length hair, I am wondering what would be the safest way to go about doing that. I have gotten it to a fairly healthy state for colored hair.... i have been letting it hair dry, have not been using my blow dryer or straightener or any heat at all. I also did a strand test and switched shampoos to something which was better suited to my hair type. I've been trying to keep it braided while I sleep and have been doing coconut oil treatments on it every so often. So far, my hair is the softest it has ever been while chemically colored.

Now, in order to go back to my natural color, I am wondering if I will need to dye it again so the rest of my hair will match my roots, and then continue to grow and slowly cut out the damaged bits. Is there a safe way to do this? Is there a better option out there? A bit of my hair is bleached (which was a horrible mistake I made last september) so stripping my hair of its color would most likely not be an option as there are still some bleached parts in there, and I have found that stripping it would probably more damaging to my hair than coloring it would be.

I am sorry this is so long, but I am just lost and need help! LOL. Does anyone have any opinions? Thank you in advance.

Length
    buzz/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: New, and i've got a question!

that should have been "air dry" up there, not "hair dry". LOL

Length
    chin/APL/Class
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

You could dye your hair closer to your natural color, so it won't look so different as you grow it back out. This will still be somewhat damaging, but less noticeable. You could also just not dye any of it and let it grow, which would be less damaging, but will also draw more attention to the difference. At the end of the day, it comes out to what you prefer. Do you plan to eventually cut off all your current hair in favor of virgin hair?
    Lady Vallena, Duchess of The Land Of Passion Flowers in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chin - Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - Hip -Tailbone - Classic

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Well, the healthiest option for your hair is just to grow out the dye and live with being two-toned for a while. Some people consider that to be a viable option and others don't. If I were you, I'd probably have a professional colorist try to match my roots if the line of demarcation were strongly visible. If said colorist is willing to work with hair slathered with coconut oil, word is that it will reduce the damage that peroxide can cause to hair.

There are some color removers out there like Color Oops that I believe strip hair color without much damage, though they are rather drying. Better than bleaching color out, though. However, your hair underneath your auburn color is probably not going to match your roots, and the contrast is likely to be strong, at which point you're still going to want a colorist to help you get the best match to your roots possible.

Set up a few consultations, talk to different individuals, and find out what they need. They might want a minimum amount of roots to ensure that they can see the color well enough to get you a good match.

Kwaniesiam on this site is our resident expert on hair coloring. Ask her, listen to what she says. She won't steer you wrong.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    buzz/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Vallena, that is the plan! Though I am worried because I am beginning to get a few gray hairs. I have about 20 (that I can count) throughout my head, so I am wondering if I will be able to resist the urge to dye them in the long run. If they continue to be a silvery gray color like they are, then I think I can handle them. It's a pretty color.

I suppose if I ever feel the urge then I can try henna, but I am REALLY trying to stay strong and go for completely virgin hair.

At some point, if you choose to go no color/no dye, you're going to simply have to go through the notion of you'll have two-tone hair for some duration of time. Coloring more until your natural color comes in kind of doesn't work.

I would recommend that for the duration you are coloring your hair, to use appropriate products on your hair such as color protecting shampoo and conditioner.

And possibly, later on, you may have to face the decision to just cut out some damage and/or color.

Given your goal is hip length hair, at some point, too, you will likely have to face allowing the shorter bits to grow out. If you allow all of your hair to grow longer, it will always be the same only in a longer format. You may have to decide at some point to trim the hemline at a certain point while the shorter bits are given time to simply catch up with the overall length. I am assuming that you want all one length hair, overall, and not shorter bits. If you want different lengths, then all is fine for now (different lengths of hair than hip-length hair.)

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    3/28/30+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you like the red and want to keep it for awhile, you can try henna/indigo. It will strengthen your hair (do your research first before using it!!!!!)

you could also try Cassia Obovata if you want something to strengthen your hair but not color it. I have the same hair color as you. greyish brown. Looked good when I was younger, but now it seems to repulse me :/
    Up in a bun, away from baby fists!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shutterpillar View Post
    Vallena, that is the plan! Though I am worried because I am beginning to get a few gray hairs. I have about 20 (that I can count) throughout my head, so I am wondering if I will be able to resist the urge to dye them in the long run. If they continue to be a silvery gray color like they are, then I think I can handle them. It's a pretty color.

I suppose if I ever feel the urge then I can try henna, but I am REALLY trying to stay strong and go for completely virgin hair.
    I tend to advise to forego henna-ing. In the longer haul, henna'd hair can prove in time to be damaged hair because some henna's (and apparently this isn't true for all henna'd hair but trained stylists at GM salons would disagree) don't allow for optimum uptake of conditioner. That's the word in the salons and why many salons do not offer this type of coloring service.

Be sure to do a lot of homework regarding henna before making the decision. The hair can initially and for some time appear to be softer and all that, but I've met a number of folks who've henna'd their hair and in time, come to realize their hair is a bit damaged.

That's my experience, anyway. So, just exercise caution and look into the subject well.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    buzz/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Heidi, I know I will never get my exact natural hair color and it will be two-toned for quite a while. But, as it is red now and my natural color is nowhere close, that is why I was wanting to dye it this final time before letting it grow out and snip off the non-virgin hair as it grows. It wont be exact, but it will be a bit less noticeable than the red.

As for the layers... the last time I got my hair trimmed the woman made them WAY shorter than I told her to, so yes, I will be growing them out. I do want to keep some of the layers and ultimately have very long layers (my shortest possibly being BSL.) I have found that trimming 1/2 inch out of my hair every 3 months works best. That way I usually have about 3 inches of virgin growth every 3 months, not counting the 1/2 inch I cut off. (my hair grows pretty fast.) I will be having just the hemline trimmed in about 2 months in order to let my shorter layers have time to catch up a little.

I got some great shampoo/conditioner the other day and have been taking much better care of my hair overall for the past few months, so hopefully if I do dye it this one final time, it will not look quite so damaged afterwards.

Thank you everyone for the great advice and experience so far.

Length
    buzz/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heidi w. View Post
    I tend to advise to forego henna-ing. In the longer haul, henna'd hair can prove in time to be damaged hair because some henna's (and apparently this isn't true for all henna'd hair but trained stylists at GM salons would disagree) don't allow for optimum uptake of conditioner. That's the word in the salons and why many salons do not offer this type of coloring service.

Be sure to do a lot of homework regarding henna before making the decision. The hair can initially and for some time appear to be softer and all that, but I've met a number of folks who've henna'd their hair and in time, come to realize their hair is a bit damaged.

That's my experience, anyway. So, just exercise caution and look into the subject well.

heidi w.

I had read that somewhere about henna (probably here), which is why I have always been a little put-off about using it. I just want to get away from dyes altogether.