Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Required Profile Field: Gender

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

Default Re: New Required Profile Field: Gender

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoScot View Post
    I meant as a gender option! If Koala Kim can pick kitty cat, I want to pick gerbil!
    hee I swear I giggled so bad ^____^
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

i kinda like the option of NOT having to fill it out.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bene View Post
    You and me, both!

2b-2a/C/iii 61"/155cm/growing fitfully longer
    LJ - Blog
    Unless specified otherwise, I am speaking as a member, not a moderator

Long hair not bricklayer. PseudoScot's Avatar
    Length
    ~17/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/M/ii

That's actually my preference, too. Despite my misinterpreted comment on gerbils.
    Previously hiding in Sherwood.

Length
    never/quite/enuff

I know the kitties/gerbils/cheese options (or lack thereof) are great fun, but isn't there a danger of forgetting the purpose of this profile field?

Me too - so I am now

Length
    pixie/BSL+/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bte View Post
    I know the kitties/gerbils/cheese options (or lack thereof) are great fun, but isn't there a danger of forgetting the purpose of this profile field?
    Maybe I'm just dense, but what is the purpose of it being required? I originally had "N/A" in that field, on the principle that my gender didn't have anything to do with my hair. When I saw the notice, I dutifully notified the community that I'm female, though since the field wasn't blank to begin with, the system wasn't bugging me about it. I've got "cheese" in there now since it's available, but if I had my 'druthers then I'd really rather have my "n/a" back.
    <--- It'll get there again
    You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it? -- Richard Bach, Ilusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dragon View Post
    Maybe I'm just dense, but what is the purpose of it being required? I originally had "N/A" in that field, on the principle that my gender didn't have anything to do with my hair. When I saw the notice, I dutifully notified the community that I'm female, though since the field wasn't blank to begin with, the system wasn't bugging me about it. I've got "cheese" in there now since it's available, but if I had my 'druthers then I'd really rather have my "n/a" back.

yeah, that's my point. i'd originally left it as N/A because i really don't believe my sex/gender is relevant. i understand having the alternate options, and i think that's great because it acknowledges the existence of transgendered and intersexed people and i think it's a step in the right direction in normalizing gender status that has long been ignored and overlooked. (i've been a longtime supporter of the LGTB community)

so, i'm all for the progress, and i'm excited that LHC has the courage and decency to include alternate genders, but i don't believe it should be a required field, and while the other options reflect a move in the right direction, the options such as "other" or "cheese" don't reflect the "i don't think it's anyone's business if i have a hoo-hah or a willy or neither or both and i certaintly don't think that this information should be automatically required, because i believe in making it manditory is a step in the wrong direction and leads ppl to making pre-judgements on a person's opinions which can lead to other people validating or disregarding viewpoints because of gender/sex " option.

mythical equestrian Lady Godiva's Avatar
    Length
    54in./77in./74in.
    Type
    1a/F/iii

It may not matter so much for hair topics, but it could matter when discussing off-topic subjects. Say for instance a man pops in to comment on a menstrual thread on the Health & Body Beautiful board, but doesn't make clear his gender. It could cause some confusion to the other posters in the thread, or possible discomfort. Even for less sensitive subjects, perhaps commiserating on a pet's death or saying prayers for someone who asks for them, it might help the respondents picture the person or focus on the individual better.

ETA: I'm not really commenting on the mandatory nature of the recent change, but just how knowing a person's sex might help other members.
    Last edited by Lady Godiva; August 12th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
    My Articles: Log Roll Tutorial, Infinity Bun Tutorial - original site

Floor Length Hair: 1a F iii --- avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

Length
    27/36"/long
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Godiva View Post
    It may not matter so much for hair topics, but it could matter when discussing off-topic subjects. Say for instance a man pops in to comment on a menstrual thread on the Health & Body Beautiful board, but doesn't make clear his gender. It could cause some confusion to the other posters in the thread, or possible discomfort. Even for less sensitive subjects, perhaps commiserating on a pet's death or saying prayers for someone who asks for them, it might help the respondents picture the person or focus on the individual better.

ETA: I'm not really commenting on the mandatory nature if the recent change, but just how knowing a person's sex might help other members.
    Well said LG.

If gender a required profile field now, shouldn't it either be male or female as a choice?
    Just me .
    Pegasus Marsters 117th wife
    Life is like a hot bath...the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get.