Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does wearing a hat damage hair?

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Question Does wearing a hat damage hair?

Ok so at work we either have to wear our hair in a bun with a hair net over it, or in a low pony/braid and we can wear a baseball cap. I usually wear it in a bun either low or high, but lately they've been giving me headaches, and so I've switched to a low, loose braid and the baseball cap with is nice, but I'm worried if I wear it on a regular basis will it damage my hair at all? I'd rather wear it then the bun but I'm worried...
    Long-haired, cat mom, and proud of it!
    =^..^=
    _( m )~~ <3

Length
    30.5/?/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

Default Re: Does wearing a hat damage hair?

I don't think it's likely to damage your hair too much except maybe at the part that adjusts, but I don't know for sure.

If you're worried about damage, you could reduce it by lining your cap with a smooth fabric like satin or wearing a scarf under it.
    Now: widest part of my calf

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    Buzz/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Be careful with how you secure your bun, use a scrunchie and you'll soon be seeing millions of split ends, even if it's a loose one. As for the hat... I've read somewhere that it's not the best, but I don't think it can be seriously damaging, I mean, those are the roots we're talking about, they're usually quite tough.

(Now, for the sake of curiosity, may I ask why are you required to wear your hair like that?)
    Last edited by NymphSpirit; April 3rd, 2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: sp

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

When you wear your hat, try not to move it around too much, you know like a nervous thing. Each day maybe switch how you wear it just a little bit so it rubs on a different place on your hair and even switch out with the bun and hairnet once in a while. They might let you wear a silk scarf?
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20/37/47
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

I think it depends on what the hat is made of and how it fits.

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by darklyndsea View Post
    I don't think it's likely to damage your hair too much except maybe at the part that adjusts, but I don't know for sure.

If you're worried about damage, you could reduce it by lining your cap with a smooth fabric like satin or wearing a scarf under it.
    OOooh! Good idea, (lining the hat) I'm totally gonna do that!
    =^..^=
    _( m )~~ <3

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NymphSpirit View Post
    Be careful with how you secure your bun, use a scrunchie and you'll soon be seeing millions of split ends, even if it's a loose one. As for the hat... I've read somewhere that it's not the best, but I don't think it can be seriously damaging, I mean, those are the roots we're talking about, they're usually quite tough.

(Now, for the sake of curiosity, may I ask why are you required to wear your hair like that?)
    I work in a deli with food

ALTHOUGH, it doesn't make sense to me. You can wear a bun but must put a hairnet over the bun part, but when you were a hat you can have a free pony... the bun isn't gonna lose hair, why cover it? I understand we work with food but it doesn't make sense lol

and yes the buns are always moderatly loose and held with mini claw clips
    =^..^=
    _( m )~~ <3

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I don't think it would.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

If you are going to wear one of those hats at work, I suggest covering over with a folded square scarf in du-rag style that part of your hair that would be in contact with the inside of the hat.

Buns with hairnets would be more hair-friendly than unlined hats of that type. You might find some hairstick buns that hold up stable and comfortable for you over long periods, and assemble them by using hairsticks in the first place, then securing them with hairpins, then removing the hairsticks.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TBL
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

I work outside a lot, so I have to wear a hat or something. I've taken to wearing a scarf around my head with the knot at the side/base and leaving my pony tail long. It looks really pretty, not sure if it will be work appropriate for you though.