Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just need to rant... GRR!

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Angry Just need to rant... GRR!

So, one of my cousins put up a picture on Facebook of her hair earlier today. Her hair is actually pretty nice; it's straight, black, has some red and purple highlights.

I had asked her if she was planning on growing it longer, because it was WL already, and she said she was trying to, which I thought was cool. I decided to just suggest she trim only when she really needed to so her hair could grow longer on its own, because someone had suggested she trim every month. I thought it kind of self-defeating if she trimmed every month if she was planning to grow it.

Her response was, "Actually a trim every month helps to prevent split ends and it's usually not even a half inch people cut off." (which is not true lol most of us know that)

And I was like, "Sure, if you tend to do a lot of mechanical/chemical/heat damage to your hair, then yeah, a trim a month is usually needed. I can understand that. But I don't do those things and I didn't have to trim for over a year before I saw just a few splits. That's when I trimmed."

She said, "Yeah you definitely don't want to go a year without trimming . I am completely aware of all the factors that go into maintaining a style or what needs to be done to accomplish what a person wants didn't spend 20k to be a hair stylist for nothing."

...Like, excuse me! lol I guess I'm just common folk—what do I know?

It really puts me off that some hair stylists have an attitude like this. It's so passive aggressive and arrogant.

Another thing: I didn't know she was going to school to be a hair stylist. Most of this part of the family tends to be distant, but she and I have usually been friendly acquaintances. I don't know much about her personal life.

But really? Like, because I'm not a hair stylist, I don't know what I'm talking about? As though I might not have the potential to know? Crappy attitude.

Rant done. lol
    Last edited by caadam; March 31st, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: little typo
    { Conditioner Only }
    Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint—Mineral Oil & Olive Oil—BBB—Hair Sense five-tooth comb & BBB

Length
    4.5in/6 in/36 in
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Just need to rant... GRR!

Aaah, yes. Advice is usually better received after it has been asked for. I know how frustrating it can be, though, to have some great ideas but no one wants to hear it

Pixie 2008, BSL early 2011, chin-lenth May 2011: Starting Over! Goal: Tailbone!

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I guess it's because I don't mind being given advice even if I don't ask for it. lol Like, I just interpret it as someone wanting to help and it being a positive thing. I don't see any harm in it.
    { Conditioner Only }
    Suave Professionals Rosemary & Mint—Mineral Oil & Olive Oil—BBB—Hair Sense five-tooth comb & BBB

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Let her find out for herself that she is wrong, dead wrong. Don't feel bad, arrogant people annoy me to NO end, but by not responding, you rise above them. She is NO better than you for thinking she knows it all, you are right, you know this, she doesn't and it isn't worth convicing her. Maybe try again at another time ad show her your hair and how nice it looks without monthly trims (unless you trim monthly, in that case send her here!) and PROVE she isn't right, maybe seeing it for herself is what she needs.
    Meow to all!!! /\_/\ (=O.O=) (#) (#)

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by caadam View Post
    I guess it's because I don't mind being given advice even if I don't ask for it. lol Like, I just interpret it as someone wanting to help and it being a positive thing. I don't see any harm in it.

I tend to give advice only when asked, but opinons, oh they another ting all together lol! I give my opinons to many...there is no harm in you giving her advice, its only harming herself not to even consider it. Don't feel bad, its her loss.

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hollyfire3 View Post
    Let her find out for herself that she is wrong, dead wrong. Don't feel bad, arrogant people annoy me to NO end, but by not responding, you rise above them. She is NO better than you for thinking she knows it all, you are right, you know this, she doesn't and it isn't worth convicing her. Maybe try again at another time ad show her your hair and how nice it looks without monthly trims (unless you trim monthly, in that case send her here!) and PROVE she isn't right, maybe seeing it for herself is what she needs.
    I didn't respond after she wrote that last comment. I saw it as, "You know nothing, Candie, so go away." And I did. lol I just didn't want to deal with it. It wasn't worth it.

But I might just link her to LHC. It might freak her out, though. lol Although, she might get angry if she saw this thread. >___>
    { Conditioner Only }

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Well, you can just snicker quietly to yourself as she cuts off her average 1/2 inch of growth a month and then wonders why her hair won't grow.

Length
    17"/32"/42"
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kelikea View Post
    Well, you can just snicker quietly to yourself as she cuts off her average 1/2 inch of growth a month and then wonders why her hair won't grow.
    I spoke to my mother about this concept because she went to cosmetology school back in the day. She said, "It's just a ploy to make people feel like they have to trim every month, which in turn makes them spend more money at salons." Which makes sense.

And exactly! I can understand the idea of trimming to prevent and to maintain a hair style, but if you're trying to grow your hair out, then trimming every month makes little sense, especially when there's no damage to trim. It's like... I would rather trim ONCE a year, that way I'm only trimming off an inch or two and still have 10+ inches of growth left to enjoy! What a concept!
    { Conditioner Only }

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I spoke to my mother about this concept because she went to cosmetology school back in the day. She said, "It's just a ploy to make people feel like they have to trim every month, which in turn makes them spend more money at salons." Which makes sense.

And exactly! I can understand the idea of trimming to prevent and to maintain a hair style, but if you're trying to grow your hair out, then trimming every month makes little sense, especially when there's no damage to trim. It's like... I would rather trim ONCE a year, that way I'm only trimming off an inch or two and still have 10+ inches of growth left to enjoy! What a concept!
    I know right?! But i still worry that the damage of not trimming for a year will now be the bottom of my hair, so although it will be longer, it may not be healthier....well, i guess thats only if you use heat or have heat damage (i have damage although i cut out the heat) so it makes sense for those who damage their hair more to trim more if they want decent hair, so sorry for them.....

Length
    20/25/38,WL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I didn't respond after she wrote that last comment. I saw it as, "You know nothing, Candie, so go away." And I did. lol I just didn't want to deal with it. It wasn't worth it.

But I might just link her to LHC. It might freak her out, though. lol Although, she might get angry if she saw this thread. >___>

Your right, NOT worth dealing with, good move, you know your right and know MUCH more than her in the ways of proper hair care, so don't bother putting yourself down, she should feel bad for being nasty and should appoligize and admit she know little to NOTHING about hair care, alright jking ont he last part, but wouldn't it be nice?