Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

Length
    15/19/32 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Default Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

Just curious if anyone has any pics of their progress if they chose not to trim while growing out their pixie cut. I *really* don't want to trim, I'm feeling so stingy right now.

I have a gorgeous wig - and I wear it on weekends/nights out. But I feel like I might feel weird if I just started wearing it every day...like, go from henna pixie to long strawberry blonde 'do the next. Granted, a close friend thought I got extensions (seriously?! haha!). I don't want to switch back and forth with my daily life, really - I'm a student with a custodian job. It's not like I *have* to look fantastic, even if the wig is really minimal upkeep. Plus it's summer and I don't want to be super hot all the time.

I guess I'm just scared of the whole mullet thing. Is it THAT bad? Should you really just trim as you go? I love scarves, I guess...I'd need to stock up on some nice silky ones for summer...

So, any pics?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

Not everyone who grows out a pixie eventually has a mullet!
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I thought it always grew out like a shag.

Length
    Pixie/23 AP/27
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

You will reach shag stage, which can actually be fun. The mullet only becomes problematic if you decide to change from shag to bob territory.

I used scarves, headbands, mini-buns (i.e. Bjork, circa Big Time Sensuality, and anything I could think of.
    I moved to the corner of Shoulder-Grazing Street and Neck-Tickling Ave

Length
    3"/8"/48"
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Isa, I'm growing out a pixie too. I haven't had a trim in well over 6 months. If I flip the ends out, I think it looks like a long shag.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/...rMarch2012.jpg

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I think it depends on your original cut, how your hair grows, etc. I trimmed once, not counting a longer short cut I got before deciding to grow out my hair. I have some pictures in my album of my grow-out. No matter what you do, I think it does end up looking a little messy, but it all depends on whether you want to get there quickly or neatly.

It always seemed like I had alternating bad hair weeks and good hair weeks.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Length
    3/28/30+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It will depend on your layers on whether it looks like a mullet or a shag. When I was growing my hair out, I had to cut it a few times in a year just to make it look decent. then when most of the layers were at my shoulders, I had it professionally styled to something that would look still look great as it grew out without me having to trim it all the time. As your hair grows out, you will see for yourself whether or not you need to cut it, and where exactly it needs cutting.

Type
    2a/F/ii

I grew out of a pixie cut.

This is the pixie cut: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...m/IMG_0223.jpg

Here's the first year at LHC: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...thwdates-1.jpg

Then I cut off all the layers.
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...na-rooibos.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...3monthprog.jpg

The truth is that as my hair grew longer and longer the layers blended with my hair to the point where I didn't see them, all I saw was a thin hemline.

While my hair grew I did put it up as much as possible because I didn't want to see the awkward stages. That means I was in headband and ponytail land for over a year, then I moved onto Gibson tucks and French braids until my hair hit APL when I could do Cinnamon buns and lazy wraps.

I hope that helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by Roscata; March 28th, 2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: changed the links because OP cannot see LHC photos yet

Quote Originally Posted by Amber_Maiden View Post
    Not everyone who grows out a pixie eventually has a mullet!
    In my hair album is a picture of me when I had short hair, as short as Princess Di, and I colored and styled it then. I grew it out to mid-calf length, and that's where i now keep it trimmed. I never went through a mullet phase, although I had differently layered hair for a time. But I kind of forget those days now.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    */*/*
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I once grew out a cut that was long in the front, but pixie length in the back. I did cut off the mullety part once, it was just like the last inch of my hair on my scalp that made it look mullet-y and I cut it off myself once. Other than that it grew out nicely.
    Enjoying Short HairLong hair will return eventually