Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freezing henna paste = Instant(ish) dye release?

Length
    16/BSL/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Freezing henna paste = Instant(ish) dye release?

I know a lot of people keep their henna paste in the freezer, and this usually results in a darker stain as freezing bursts open the cells of the henna.

My question is this: Do any of you put your henna mixture in the freezer before you see dye release? As in, just mix it up with water, throw it in a container and immediately freeze it?

If so, does this affect the dye release at all? Does it prevent/inhibit dye release, or make it dye release right away?

I ask primarily because I am lazy. Also, I don't have time during the day to keep an eye on a bowl of henna on the counter to see if it has dye released, and I would hate to come home to find that the henna has demised in my absence.

I purchased Jamila henna from a local international store - the type for hair, so not BAQ but it's Jamila so I know it's reputable - and want to make sure to get the maximum dye release possible since this henna may be slightly weaker and/or slightly expired.

So should I mix it up and wait for dye release, or can I just mix it, freeze it and forget it until I want to use it?

Lady Cymorene of the Enchyanted Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: Freezing henna paste = Instant(ish) dye release?

I mix mine up and get pretty much instant dye release because I use HOT water. Then I use what I'm going to use and freeze the rest. It always seems to stain better the second time but the first stains well too. I think you would wait for dye release IMO otherwise you would have to wait for it to thaw and then get warm enough - but I'm not positive on this
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    20"/26/32
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I wouldn't freeze right after mixing. Who knows if the dye will release at all in the freezer? In my experience, 24 hours is a good amount of time before you even have to start worrying about demise (36 hours will probably even be fine). In Kentucky (your location according to your avatar) at this time of year, your henna will not demise sooner than that. Hope that helps!

Length
    29 "/33"/MORE
    Type
    1c/M/ii

When you freeze it, you get dye release. So if you mix it, immediatly freeze it, and thaw it, you'll have dye release. I mix up about 5 months worth of Henna at a time and freeze it in single serving baggies, which I melt - on the counter, on a heating vent, or in a warm water bath, and use immediatly. I get good stain - in fact I'm covering grey, or white rather. I leave it on for an hour and a half.
    "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to these teachers" Kahlil Gibran.

Length
    20"/26/32
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

How long does the dye release take in the freezer?

Length
    10/28/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

This is how I mix my henna. I mix my henna with tea that has cooled a bit. I have made the mistake and put the henna right in the freezer but I get a much deeper stain when I leave it out for an hour or so before freezing. Tea will produce almost instant dye release so you can freeze sooner, but I don't think water only works the same way.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ellen732 View Post
    This is how I mix my henna. I mix my henna with tea that has cooled a bit. I have made the mistake and put the henna right in the freezer but I get a much deeper stain when I leave it out for an hour or so before freezing. Tea will produce almost instant dye release so you can freeze sooner, but I don't think water only works the same way.
    Hot water does. Without the hot water I have to wait several hours. But I've never tried freezing mine without dye release.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

I also mix Jamila for hair with hot chamomile tea. I mix the whole pack, use about half of it then freeze the rest in a zip lock bag. Hot chamomile gives me instant die release as well, but I wait about an hour before I put it on my hair so by the time I freeze the rest ,it has been mixed for about 2 hours. This works every time

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ratgirldjh View Post
    Hot water does. Without the hot water I have to wait several hours. But I've never tried freezing mine without dye release.
    Aaah, that explains it why I never had to bother with waiting for dye release either I use hot water too, works like a charm.

I have frozen henna a few times too, and it seems that it stains even better after I have had it in the freezer.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    10/12,6/24
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Maybe stupid question - but have you ever tried mixing the powder with liquid directly in the bag in which you are going to freeze it then?

I just thought about putting powder inside, add warm chanomille tea, mix with wooden spatula or stick or small 'mixer' for cappuchino ...It might work, wouldn't it? If I put this bag into a glass or any other small container to have it steady, it could be even easier....no bothering about moving the paste