Page 3 of 150 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing as long as it will go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Re: Growing as Long as It will Go! (The Terminal Goal Thread)

Darklyndsea- Madora wrote an excellent article about drying long hair here.

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm planning on growing to terminal, so I think I fit in here!

holothuroidea I grew out from a pixie, and I trimmed it every few months back to nape length. I was in the military at the time, and the way hair rules were, it was much easier that way.

And darklyndsea, to dry my hair, I usually just wash at night, and after taking the turbie twist off, I let my hair dry draped over the side of the bed. It works better if you don't move around a lot at night I imagine. I put a towel down on the ground for my hair to rest on.

Length
    Ear/BSL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

julya

...we are hair twins, except yours is WAY more impressive!!

I've been considering cutting back to nape when my shortest layers get that long or maybe even doing it a little at a time. Maybe it's just an awkward stage right now but my hair feels pretty scraggly sneaking down my shoulders in strings.

Length
    33/74/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I also want to see how long my hair can grow. I am just really curious! At this point, it is thigh length, with a lot of taper and scraggly ends, but it does not matter because I wear it up at all times.

Length
    ?/48/55 ?
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Very interesting thread, I have mulled this over and am undecided. I am guessing my terminal may be really long based on growth rate and retention, but who knows.

I am just at TB now, the longest it has ever been and so far it is still manageable. Far easier than I had ever anticipated it would be.

A big thank you to the LHC commmunity for that, because due to volume I would have never been able to tolerate this length in the frizzy, bushy condition it was becoming pre-LHC.

I am wondering though if the day to day aspect of dealing with the extra length will get a lot more difficult at the Classic and below level, or if it is all just a matter of stages and as each one approaches you just get used to it.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of the population has hair longer than classic. I am guessing it is a very small fraction, as our perception gets skewed being on here and seeing and chatting with super long hairs on a daily basis.

Length
    20/37/47
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

My goal is knee length : ) I still have a way to go!

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

My official goal at the moment is tailbone because everything else seems so far away it's depressing. Also, I have a feeling that tailbone may turn out to be terminal on me. In any case, I will be watching this thread with interest and possibly joining in a couple of years. Good luck!
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Honestwitness View Post
    EdG has terminal hair. He hasn't even trimmed in ten years. Yay for EdG!
    Thank you!

I reached terminal length in 2008. I originally wanted to find out what my terminal length was. Now, I know!

Terminal length is an appealing goal because it is set by one's genetics, not by some preconceived notion of how long hair should be.

Terminal length sneaks up on one. The hair gradually stops getting longer. One can't tell for sure that one has reached terminal length until some time afterwards.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Length
    APL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Ooh, I'm growing to terminal! I want to see if I can do it with bleached hair.
    APL~BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I grew out from a short cut (a pageboy rather than a pixie, but still, short) and never trimmed. While I didn't go through particularly awkward stages, the last 8" or so of my hair have annoying pseudo-layers. I plan to cut at least half of that off this summer, quite possibly all of it. It'd mean sacrificing a bit over half a year's growth, but it'd mean being done with the weird ends.

I'm lucky, my hair grows at an extremely even pace and doesn't split, so I don't have to trim for either of those reasons. I will probably trim a bit as things get really long and it starts getting uneven because it's terminal, so I may never let myself get to a 'true' terminal, but my profession demands being extremely formal in dress, so I may need my ends neat to make nice buns.

I do worry a little about where my terminal will be - I worry that it will be too long to manage and I won't actually find out how long my hair is capable of growing. I just don't have much taper. My ponytail circ is just over 5" (after a major shed last summer - I was more like 5.7-5.8" before that), and I still have 4.25" at the bottom of my ribcage, where the not-quite-layering from growing out starts. I don't know how thick my hair was at waist or lower pre-shed, but I do know that when I was in my teens, if I braided my waist-length hair in two braids, each of them was as big around as my wrist. Granted, I have small wrists (just under 6" around), but still.

Anyhow, so, yes, my goal is terminal, but I recognize that I may not reach it, between the genetics that give me abundant, tough, fast-growing hair and the genetics that give me extremely delicate, easily injured, painful joints.

~Kali
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus