Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You know what I need? A carpet rake.

Length
    16/BSL/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default You know what I need? A carpet rake.

So, I'm getting kinda tired of killing all my vacuum cleaners with the giant, invisible hairballs living on my floor. (Brown carpet + brown hair = INVISIBLE KILLER HAIRBALLS OF DOOM )

My preferred solution to this problem would be to get rid of the carpet altogether, but somehow I don't think the managers of my apartment would be happy with me ripping it all up, chucking it out the window, and installing vinyl tiles instead.

I have this great idea for a solution, though: a carpet rake. You could use it on your carpet prior to vacuuming to gather up all your shed hair, which you could then either throw away or put in the basket you have set aside for henna experiments and knitting projects. Then, having removed the hair, you could vacuum with confidence, knowing that your machine would live to suck another day.

Is there anything out there like this already? Would a regular garden rake work without damaging the carpet? Any budding inventors out there wanna take this idea and run with it?

Lady Cymorene of the Enchyanted Forest in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: You know what I need? A carpet rake.

It does appear that they have been invented:
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/applian...ets-14617.html

It is a great idea though! I usually just stop vacuuming every few minutes to cut all the hairs from the roller on the bottom. I've almost set my vacuum on fire before by forgetting to cut them, it was scary

I use a Hartz Cat Slicker Brush on the carpets (not the same one I use on the cat!) - more to pick up the kitty's hairs than mine, but it works really well on both. I've been using it for about 2 years, about once a week on average, and it doesn't seem to have damaged the carpets (that's the cat's job!)

That girl with the hair The-Young-Maid's Avatar
    Length
    ./FTL+/KNEE
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

I use an old comb to collect all my tumbleweeds
    No Trim 2019/20/21 . Use It Up 2019/20/21 . Daily wash w/Sulfates and Cones. Coconut oil . CL 2019-FTL 2020-KNEE 2021

Length
    12/20/30hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i

I feel your pain! Not sure who's worst, me or my dog, but between us we killed two vacuums! I bought my first home almost a year ago and the first thing I did was rip the carpets out! I'm all tile & laminate flooring and I love it!

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by The-Young-Maid View Post
    I use an old comb to collect all my tumbleweeds
    Tumbleweeds! I like that word a lot better than hairballs. I'm going to start using it. It brings to mind beautiful desert gardens and arid vistas rather than gross hair clumps

Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Type
    2a/C/iii

My former girlfriend once bought me a small shrub rake for use indoors.

The shrub rake can successfully remove hairs from larger areas of carpet. For smaller areas, one's toes make a good rake.
    Ed
    If there's something strange with your long hair / Who you gonna call? / L-H-C! (sung to the tune of Ghostbusters)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My vacuum cleaner is pretty efficient at collecting those hairs. I only have to cut them off the roller once every month or so.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

A custom made device seems like a better idea than using my fingers, which is what I've been doing.

Length
    16"/36"/50"+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I use a rubber squeegee, the type you use on car windows. It works well, although it would be easier if I tied it to the end of a broom handle so I didnt have to kneel down to use it, lol
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon