Thread: argh growing out hair...need advice

Default argh growing out hair...need advice

I am 9 months since horrbile cut where the front got all messed up...

Its now just passed eyebrows in front (with stupid shorter hairs underneath)...

I havent cut it at all since...but now the back and sides are getting quite long (sides are to my mouth...back is to collar)

Needless to say, its in an awkward stage still...and was wondering if i should get everything but the front cut so that
    the front can be the longest part? Will it make growing out
    easier? Or am I just going to set myself back even further?

Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: argh growing out hair...need advice

If the thought of making the back shorter upsets you, I would just wear headbands and try to forget about it for awhile. Cutting the back might just make you feel worse about the situation.

Length
    SL+/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

That's a toss-up, dd. the real question is, can you get a reference for a decent hairdresser who will understand what you want and give it to you.

There are both kinds of growers, here, the ones who get it trimmed and shaped along the way, and the ones who just let it grow. We all get there in the end, but some are really unhappy with the shaggy periods. Up to you, of course, but get a good reference if you decide to go for a shaping.

Good luck, and welcome to lhc.
    Microtrimming, cowashing, hoping for a miracle.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

It would be helpful to know your hairtype. Is your hair straight or wavy/curly? Do you have fine hair, or coarse, or medium?
    I ask this because curlies "get away" with irregularities better than those with straight hair. Also, if you have curly hair and it reaches your eyebrows in the front, it's probably a lot longer stretched out.

Anyway, I would not cut the sides and back so the front is the longest part. That would be way too short, I think. I'd get a 0.5" trim from the back only (the back always seems to grow faster, mostly because of the shape of the skull), and leave the sides and the front alone. Do this every 3 months, and things will even out eventually!

But again - hairtype is a big deciding factor here...

Length
    MBL/TBL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

A picture pehaps?

If you have patience and nerves to deal with that weird stage, it's ok, it could turn into pretty and fun layers as it grows some more

If you decide to cut it, make sure you only cut the back, and not much..
    LadyArasinya, Protector of the Forest Heart Stag in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

I also think a picture would help

It depends how much short hair you have at the front, in my opinion.

I think I would probably keep the back shorter while growing out in order to avoid the mullet look! But I wouldn't necessarily cut it right back.

Again though, it really depends on how your hair actually looks as it is!
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I know this feeling all too well. I've been growing my hair out for 10 months now from an extremely short pixie cut.
    I personally cut the back bit off so that it didn't look too mullety. If you like a shaggy look however, it might be worth just leaving it. My hair now just looks like a normal (ish) bob.
    I promise it gets better!
    To bra strap length, and beyond!
    *Pixie*Shag*Jaw*Shoulder*Collarbone*APLBSL

Length
    Shldr/MBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

When I grow my hair out from a short layered cut, I always keep the back cut to the hairline (short!) until the top catches up with it. This lets me grow it out all one length. So that is what I would do. (Mullets and layers are both bad for me) but I can't tell you what you should do.
    We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. --Winston Churchil