Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK, fess up - product for updos? how much? how to use?

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: OK, fess up - product for updos? how much? how to use?

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    How do you use the spray wax? Is it throughout or only at the ends? Can you use it on your roots for lift?

I've been missing some texture and I was considering a spray wax and I thought I'd get some input before I do.
    I didn't discover spray wax until after I chopped my hair, so I don't know about root lift. At this length my hair does that on its own. It's supposed to be used on dry hair, but what I do is comb my wet hair back with a part and then spray lightly all over. It cuts down on frizz and keeps my bangs generally in place. My hair gets puffy and frizzy by default, so that's why I use it with my hair slicked back like that. Just make sure to use it sparingly. If you use too much, it looks a bit greasy and waxy and it takes about 3 shampoos to get completely out. I sulfate-free shampoo daily, so as long as I don't overdo it, I don't have build-up problems. It's never crunchy, which is why I like it. My hair still feels like hair.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I use an Ion brand leave-in for colored hair after I shower, and a little bit of coconut oil on the ends. Before I braid or do anything, I lightly spray my hair with a mixture of Yes to Carrots conditioner and water to make my hair more manageable. When I put it in a bun in a wrap-up foam apparatus (I don't know if there's a technical name) I put some extra water and coconut oil on the ends to keep them from falling out of the bun.

Length
    APL/WL?/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

For my updos with hairsticks/forks on dry hair:
    1)- I oil my ends with EVOO
    2)- I use a spray bottle to wet the top of my hair, and then use my favorite drugstore gel - La Bella - Wet Shine (all the variations work the same for me, it's the brand that I love)

Then I slick back my hair with a boar bristle brush and put my hair up. It's super-neat and when the gel dries it's uber-shiny!
    A great thing about the La Bella gel is that it's easy to comb out - When I take my hair out I just comb through with my horn-comb or the boar-bristle brush again and my hair still feels good(:
    ~the more I see the less I know for sure~

Length
    ??/Hip/??
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I use a moderate amount of L'oreal Elnett hairspray when I put my hair up to glue the wispy bits down (especially at the nape of my neck and side burn area). I also use it to hold my fringe in place when I need it to look and stay nice for an outing/event/whatever. Sometimes, before braiding my hair for braid waves, I'd spray on some diluted AVG so that I get sleeker looking results and extra hold. For heat-styling, I'll use the CHI Silk Infusion serum as a heat protectant. I have a small collection of clays, waxes...etc that I like to use to hold my curls, or for texture (Sebastian Crude Clay and Shiseido UNO are a couple of my favourites).

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

My hair is short now, but when it was longer, I used usually at least leave-in conditioner. Well actually normal conditioner as a leave-in. I put it in wet hair and also sometimes smooth any frizz down from the canopy on dry hair.

If I made braids I wanted to last I used silicone loaded smoothing serum (Got2B brand) which I smoothed over the finished braid. I still use this with short hair.

I also used Matrix Biolage moulding souffle which I also still use. It gives nice soft hold, no crunchiness or stiffness. On special occasions (if I wore an updo) I used hair spray.

I also have had few different brands of aloe vera gel over the years, and while it is a lovely product for hair care, it never gave any styling benefits for me. Same with oils, though I had to stop using them (because of acne).

I'm still learning to use products, before my hairtype change I never needed them. Anyway, best canopy frizz tamer for me is regular protein and silicone free conditioner, but I can warmly recommend the Got2B smoothing lotion too!

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    17.5/22.5/27.5
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Talking Re: OK, fess up - product for updos? how much? how to use?

I'm one of the blessed. I think my hair naturally goes towards the back of my head from all the years that I was in ballet, but I even have trouble keeping my bangs that are too short for the rest of the style down.

I use a curl cream on my bangs or a heat protectant and straighten them. The rest does as it will and I don't even brush until the second day and then only because my scalp demands it.

I have tangle free hair unless it's splitting and it does smooth or curly hairstyles without a lot of fuss.

Yep, you can hate me now.