Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to hip? Help me decide!

Length
    hip/hip/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Default Back to hip? Help me decide!

Hi everyone!

First of all, excuse the miserable quality of February pictures. I got a bit wild with the editing! It will get better next time! I promise.

Here is my dilemma.
    I started actively grow my hair out 2,5 years ago. I was at hiplength then. Even if I never distressed my hair with hot tools, I treated it badly. My sins where washing my hair everyday only with the shampoo (even rubbing the lengths with shampoo –oops), regular highlights and wearing my hair down all the time.
    I stopped highlighting my hair almost 5 years ago. My natural hair color has grown to ca. waist length until now. I only get natural highlights in my hair when I am in the sun, and I like this look very much.
    I totally changed my hair routine and I wear my hair up 95% of time, wash it every 3 days only, apply no heat, I apply hair masks occasionally, and use natural products on my hair (Burts Bees, Lush, The body shop). However, I still sleep with my hair down, I cannot get used to sleep on braid or having a bun. And I don’t have a silk pillow case.

My problem is my thin hemline. During past 2 years I tried to gain as much length as possible. I almost did not trim my hair during this time. Sadly, it showed on my thinning hemline. My hair thins out very much as it grows. And in the last year I became a feeling, that I don’t like it. I started to micro trim last November (when my hair got to mid-but length), but my ends are so thin, that even after 4 trims (November, I trimmed twice in December, and January), my hemline stays very thin. I trimmed 1inch in November, and 0,5 inch in December and January.

In February I decided to trim to tailbone, so my ends will thicken a little bit. But still, hemline stays thin.
    I am deciding on what to do now. Should I stay at tailbone and micro trim for a while? I would give it a try and trim for 6-9 months to see the development. Or should I trim back to hips and then grow with regular trims? My original hair goal was classic length, but I wished I would be able to maintain ticker ends. I never wear my hair down, but I would like to wear it down a little bit in summer on occasions. And I want to feel comfortable. Now, I don’t feel comfortable with the way my hair looks like at this length.
    I am not sure if my hair is able to make it after hip length, my hair tapers naturally very strongly after this length. I am even reconsidering my length goal.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=126350
    January, very thin ends in light background.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=123223
    January, difference on black background, hemline looks much ticker.

February:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=126351

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=126349

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ctureid=126348

PS: can you see the pictures?
    Last edited by Syrena; February 14th, 2012 at 02:45 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: Back to hip? Help me decide!

I think you should trim it back but only 2-3 inches and then microtrim it for a few months to see if the hemline thickens.

Length
    26/30.2/44
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

I think you should go with what make you happy, whats the point if you don't enjoy it?

I hear a lot of people talk about the two week rule. Don't do anything drastic until you have thought about it for at least two weeks.

Sorry that I've not told you what to do. Heh I think hair cutting can be a very personal thing.
    Kitsu <3 LadyDessuithiel Sorceress of Kitsuke
    ~ BSL ~MID BACK~ WAIST ~TAIL BONE~ CLASSIC ~ BEYOND~
    Hip by November 2012 Challenge!

Length
    APL/~40"/~40"
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hi,

I have to say my hair looks almost exactly the same even though I have brownish hair, and I have been micro trimming almost every month!

I had some hairloss over the last two years which resulted in thinning ends. And I was quite said about my looks for a while but started thinking more positive lately. We'll see how that goes longterm......

Apart from that I think

a) your hair looks lovely and you should not worry too much about it. Maybe try some more deep treats with oil and see how it goes. And don't forget: your hair is pretty as are you!

b) if you feel like cutting some length - why not? As long as you feel right about it. Don't be a slave of your own hair. Growing should be fun somehow. (Well at least this is what I am trying to learn for myself too at the moment...).

In any case all the best to you!

Length
    Bsl/41"/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

keep on going with the microtrimming,and oil your hair and put it up or braid it during the night, this helps a lot , really! Just try it for a few weeks/months..
    I'm sure you can fix this,its just a few inches, i wouldnt cut it all off in once but take better care of it
    BCL right now w a thick hemline. Aiming for classic this year

Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm going to start by saying your hair looks lovely, but what's important is that you are happy with it. I had very thin ends last year, having accidently grown it longer through benign neglect. I trimmed a fair amount off, until my ends were much thicker and more even. I'm only trimming every three months, as I want to see noticable growth, but so far no thin ends.

I didn't like sleeping in braids either, but I found that sleeping with two braids instead of just one was far more comfortable. There is less bulk in one place that way, and it doesn't frizz at the nape of my neck quite so much.

Length
    BSL/57/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

I have been sleeping with a bun on the very top of my head and I can't tell it is there. A side braid may work as well.

I have thinning ends too, that begin at about waist. Not all of us can have knee length hair. i would be conservative and take off just a few inches, and see what difference that makes.

Length
    hip/hip/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it very much!

Etheraldoll:
    I thought about trimming 2 more inches of. But I cannot bring myself to do it yet. That is why I want to know your opinions J

Kitsu:
    No worries, I will consider the trimming issue carefully. I am trimming according to the moon calendar and I will trim in Leo days. My next trim is planned for the beginning of March. It provides me almost 3 weeks to decide how much I want to trim next time. I understand what you mean by hair trimming being a personal thing. I can ask for your advice but the final decision is up to me and how I feel about it. J

Vercelli:
    J Thank you for your kind words. Did I found some hair twin? How is your micro trimming progress going?
    I have been trying some hair masks (Lush) and treatments for my hair in last months..which was actually for the first time! I was never type who was concerned for the hair and never used hair masks! Imagine that!

Avital88:
    I am using coconut oil regularly on my lengths so far... I even tried coconut milk treatment, my hair seems to like it very much! But I never tried any other oil
    I will try to braid my hair for the night. I hope I can withstand the challenge to sleep in the braid. Or I will make 2 braids, as Shebelina recommends me to do.
    However, my hair is rather a slow grower L It grows only ca. 0,4 inch/month. It will take time to micro trim all thin ends away. But long hair means patience and persistence, doesn’t it? J

Shebelina:
    Thank you very much for your compliment J
    The idea to sleep in 2 braids sounds interesting. I will definitely try that! Thank you!

Type
    2b/M/iii

It's your hair, but I'd definitely cut back to hip to give it the illusion of more thickness.

The older your ends are, the more delicate they are and prone to damage. For the sake of all your strands, protect them by confining them at night...somehow. If you use braids, I'd be very careful not to braid all the way to the ends.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I'd cut it back to hip. It looks great in the January picture against a dark background, but in most of the other pictures you can see the thin ends.

Your hair would look gorgeous with a thicker hemline.